The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Poor man's Noctilux?

peterb

I saw these on a video by Jared (Fro-knows-foto) Polin of Philadelphia extolling the virtues of SIgma's 35mm f1.2 Art lens that appears to offer tack sharp focus from center to edge and a very 'anorexic' depth of field.

These two shots were taken with the Sony A9 which is the only other mount Sigma is making this lens besides the L mount at the moment.

For $1499.

Attachments

iiiNelson

Speaking of poor man’s Noctilux... I’d really love if Voigtlander made their newer primes in native L-Mount.

PeterA

Speaking of poor man’s Noctilux... I’d really love if Voigtlander made their newer primes in native L-Mount.
I dont think Voigtlander are part of the partnership which licenses Leica's L mount tech - so you may have to wait for 20 odd years until patent expires ...

iiiNelson

I dont think Voigtlander are part of the partnership which licenses Leica's L mount tech - so you may have to wait for 20 odd years until patent expires ...
Yeah I know they aren’t right now. I’d like to see them welcomed. As far as I know only Sony offers full support to them on account of it being an “open mount.”

PeterA

Yeah I know they aren’t right now. I’d like to see them welcomed. As far as I know only Sony offers full support to them on account of it being an “open mount.”
No Voigtlander is sold with a coded flange so that when used with a Leica M or via adaptor on a L mount in either aps or full frame lens information can be passed through for correction. I tried two Voigtlander lenses recently and decided to keep the retro styled 35/2 because I can cope with its chromatic aberrations on a 25mp body through PP. On a 50MP body or a 100MP body the chromatic aberrations are unmanageable for my level of requirements.

I suspect that Voigtlander will have a very hard time in convincing Sigma/Panasonic and Leica to allow them to sell manual focus lenses using an L mount - since they haven't received Leica's permission to sell M mount lenses with the required coding slots in the flange.

Still- you can buy and use the special Voigtlander made for Sony mount lenses which are apochromatic on your Sony cameras - Voigtlander seems to be migrating their lens offerings up the quality curve by new issues of focal lengths with improved glass. IF you like alternative manual focus options for small form factor - you could also look at Zeiss M mount lenses - again no coding but better glass and not too expensive used..