Site Sponsors

Thread: Poor man's Noctilux?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Poor man's Noctilux?

I saw these on a video by Jared (Fro-knows-foto) Polin of Philadelphia extolling the virtues of SIgma's 35mm f1.2 Art lens that appears to offer tack sharp focus from center to edge and a very 'anorexic' depth of field.

These two shots were taken with the Sony A9 which is the only other mount Sigma is making this lens besides the L mount at the moment.

For $1499.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Life is an infinite series of moments called..."now".
    My job is to capture them.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Poor man's Noctilux?

and very nice postprocessing to match!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of poor manís Noctilux... Iíd really love if Voigtlander made their newer primes in native L-Mount.
    Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by iiiNelson View Post
    Speaking of poor manís Noctilux... Iíd really love if Voigtlander made their newer primes in native L-Mount.
    I dont think Voigtlander are part of the partnership which licenses Leica's L mount tech - so you may have to wait for 20 odd years until patent expires ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    I dont think Voigtlander are part of the partnership which licenses Leica's L mount tech - so you may have to wait for 20 odd years until patent expires ...
    Yeah I know they arenít right now. Iíd like to see them welcomed. As far as I know only Sony offers full support to them on account of it being an ďopen mount.Ē
    Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by iiiNelson View Post
    Yeah I know they arenít right now. Iíd like to see them welcomed. As far as I know only Sony offers full support to them on account of it being an ďopen mount.Ē
    No Voigtlander is sold with a coded flange so that when used with a Leica M or via adaptor on a L mount in either aps or full frame lens information can be passed through for correction. I tried two Voigtlander lenses recently and decided to keep the retro styled 35/2 because I can cope with its chromatic aberrations on a 25mp body through PP. On a 50MP body or a 100MP body the chromatic aberrations are unmanageable for my level of requirements.

I suspect that Voigtlander will have a very hard time in convincing Sigma/Panasonic and Leica to allow them to sell manual focus lenses using an L mount - since they haven't received Leica's permission to sell M mount lenses with the required coding slots in the flange.

Still- you can buy and use the special Voigtlander made for Sony mount lenses which are apochromatic on your Sony cameras - Voigtlander seems to be migrating their lens offerings up the quality curve by new issues of focal lengths with improved glass. IF you like alternative manual focus options for small form factor - you could also look at Zeiss M mount lenses - again no coding but better glass and not too expensive used..
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post