The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma fp Firmware 2.0

iiiNelson

Sigma released their updated firmware and it’s pretty huge. There are a host of fixes and corrections but the biggest thing is the announcement of RAW video in three of the main forms from the same camera (So pretty much it is only missing ARRI RAW and R3D CODE RAW from the most common types of RAW video). To my knowledge this is the first camera on the market to be able to record in CinemaDNG (internally), ProRES RAW (externally), or Blackmagic RAW (externally). ProRES RAW requires an Atomos recorder (support is for the Ninja V now but I’m sure it’ll come to other recorders in time) and Blackmagic RAW requires the Blackmagic Video Assist 12G unit.

In any case it’s a huge update with other smaller features listed. I can’t help but think how much more commercially successful this camera could be if they included a mechanical shutter on it. As a video camera it’s great but for photography it’s limiting with having a slow readout speed.

https://www.cinema5d.com/sigma-fp-f...res-raw-and-braw-recording-dual-iso-and-more/

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Sigma released their updated firmware and it’s pretty huge. There are a host of fixes and corrections but the biggest thing is the announcement of RAW video in three of the main forms from the same camera (So pretty much it is only missing ARRI RAW and R3D CODE RAW from the most common types of RAW video). To my knowledge this is the first camera on the market to be able to record in CinemaDNG (internally), ProRES RAW (externally), or Blackmagic RAW (externally). ProRES RAW requires an Atomos recorder (support is for the Ninja V now but I’m sure it’ll come to other recorders in time) and Blackmagic RAW requires the Blackmagic Video Assist 12G unit.

In any case it’s a huge update with other smaller features listed. I can’t help but think how much more commercially successful this camera could be if they included a mechanical shutter on it. As a video camera it’s great but for photography it’s limiting with having a slow readout speed.

https://www.cinema5d.com/sigma-fp-f...res-raw-and-braw-recording-dual-iso-and-more/
It's a very cool, very capable camera, and affordable too. If only they had included an option for a small (affordable) viewfinder. The clip-on thingy is twice as large as the camera itself, and an ergonomic disaster.

iiiNelson

It's a very cool, very capable camera, and affordable too. If only they had included an option for a small (affordable) viewfinder. The clip-on thingy is twice as large as the camera itself, and an ergonomic disaster.
Yeah I wouldn’t have minded an external EVF but if I had to choose the one addition that would’ve made a greater difference all around, it would be a mechanical shutter. While EVF is my preferred way to photograph I am used to using a rear screen with a phone and I do believe that this camera is made to be rigged up and be shot primarily from a tripod despite the small size.