The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The S5 is coming, full specs

iiiNelson

Very interesting camera with great specs, about the same size as the Nikon Z Trio:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CtQSfUtHCeBSQEFdh7C23pQTKRiR91Zl/view
Yeah I saw this and it's all about the size/weight of all the competition.

I just recorded a YouTube video (prior to reading this announcement and you can search it once posted by my channel iiiNelsonImages) where I stated that perhaps Panasonic should completely drop the S1 camera specifically and just have the R and H line on the high-end (in additional to some Cine focused cameras between the H and EVA line) and just continue the low end S5 lines going forward. In reality I think the addition of the S1 and the S1H confused some people that were expecting the S1 to be a GH replacement when in reality it's a photo camera. It's great, without a doubt, but in reality they can have a lower end model without the pro build quality that satisfies the amateurs and advanced hobbyists with the S5. The onnly thing I'd change about it is the EVF and make it comparable to the G9/GH5 EVF (at 3.69 million dots). Other than that it's "perfect" for the average amateur with "pro" features in a pro-sumer/amateur in a lighter and smaller body that's comparable to the Sony/Nikon/Canon/Fujifilm offerings IMO.

Price wise I hope it's in the $1000-1500 range body only and $1200-1800 range with the 20-60 kit lens. If so, then it's the camera I'd get for my wife (that I've been wanting to get) since we'd share lenses and I'm pretty close to deciding that L-mount is the best system for us... reservations for keeping Sony aside. I'm finding that I like the system more than I thought I would and in reality, the autofocus is good enough for what I need it for. It holds for video at sensible resolutions/DoF and I real world usage, there aren't any serious red flags yet. Without getting too political, I've been thinking about going back to Leica for their historical stances and. positions towards representation and disenfranchised communities... but in reality Sony is putting their money where their mouth is on the surface at least. In addition to this... frankly I miss having an M and it's something I think about getting back into... but that's a non-camera related discussion on some levels... but I can see myself back in the L and M mounts exclusively at this point now that the M10 Monocrhrom is back around.

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It seems to have the same viewfinder panel as the GX8 (2.36M OLED), but with slightly lower magnification (0.74x vs. 0.77x). That's what I'm used to, so fine with me. Apart from that, specs. seem more than high enough for most or all of what I do, and I hope that "Free-angle" means fully articulated LCD.

"If so, it's the camera I'd get for my wife (that I've been wanting to get)..."
Yeah... I've been wanting to get a wife to... or maybe a camera :ROTFL:

iiiNelson

It seems to have the same viewfinder panel as the GX8 (2.36M OLED), but with slightly lower magnification (0.74x vs. 0.77x). That's what I'm used to, so fine with me. Apart from that, specs. seem more than high enough for most or all of what I do, and I hope that "Free-angle" means fully articulated LCD.

"If so, it's the camera I'd get for my wife (that I've been wanting to get)..."
Yeah... I've been wanting to get a wife to... or maybe a camera :ROTFL:
Yeah “free angle” is a fully articulating screen. It makes it so that it’s probably not the camera for me but it would be a great all around body for her.

bensonga

I just recorded a YouTube video (prior to reading this announcement and you can search it once posted by my channel iiiNelsonImages) where I stated that perhaps Panasonic should completely drop the S1 camera specifically and just have the R and H line on the high-end (in additional to some Cine focused cameras between the H and EVA line) and just continue the low end S5 lines going forward.
I'm sure it probably makes sense from a product marketing, pricing etc sense, but if Panasonic goes that route I'm glad I purchased a S1 when I did. I have a number of friends who strongly prefer a well built and spec'd premium ~24 megapixel camera (such as the Leica SL and Pana S1) over higher megapixel versions such as the SL2 and S1r.

I appreciate having both versions (when I can afford them) and generally steer clear of the lighter, smaller, less expensive alternative models that often appeal to a wider market. There are exceptions of course, which is why I still have and use a pair of Pana GX-8 cameras, primarily for travel.

Gary

iiiNelson

I'm sure it probably makes sense from a product marketing, pricing etc sense, but if Panasonic goes that route I'm glad I purchased a S1 when I did. I have a number of friends who strongly prefer a well built and spec'd premium ~24 megapixel camera (such as the Leica SL and Pana S1) over higher megapixel versions such as the SL2 and S1r.

I appreciate having both versions (when I can afford them) and generally steer clear of the lighter, smaller, less expensive alternative models that often appeal to a wider market. There are exceptions of course, which is why I still have and use a pair of Pana GX-8 cameras, primarily for travel.

Gary
I tend to fully agree with you but I don’t know that the S1 offers anything other than cost savings over the S1H. I prefer the larger build myself and a lot of built-in features of the bodies. I think for the more casual user the smaller side is wanted and for better or worse so many reviewers of the camerashave spoken to the larger size as a negative since release.

I think the S5 will be similar in size the Sony A7SIII/A7RIV/A9II in size in weight (which is just a tiny bit smaller than the GH5/G9). I think it’ll sell better than the S1 if price right (I’m thinking in the $1300-1800 range with a kit lens) to compete with the price drop on the A7III when the A7IV comes, the Nikon Z5, and the Canon RP (or whatever the next generation version of it is called). They put in a lot of cost cutting measures like a lower resolution EVF, Micro HDMI, non-matching (speed wise) dual SD cards slots, fully articulating lower resolution screen, smaller battery, etc. but added a lot software wise. I’d expect these software features to come to the S1 and I’m hoping they up the video features of the S1R to match the Leica SL2 video features since they both share most internal parts in common.

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Looks like the body will cost $2000 and the kit will go for $2300. I'm not sure of this positioning since the S1 regularly sells in the $1700-2000 range regularly (street price). I would think that they would sell for under $1500 for the body and under $2000 for the kit to be as commercially successful as possible.

https://www.l-rumors.com/panasonic-s5-will-cost-1999-and-here-is-the-full-leaked-press-text/
The price, similar to that of the S1, makes sense. It's different and smaller than the S1, but not really less advanced all things considered, just different.

iiiNelson

There’s a lower res EVF and LCD. Dual SD cards and only one has UHS II. There’s a smaller battery that’s compatible with Lumix G pro bodies. All things that signal it should be cheaper than the S1. Also no top display I don’t think.

iiiNelson

This will compete heavily with the high-end MFT models, and may be the closest I'll come to a GX8 replacement. I'm all ears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Luy96Q6woSg
There was a recent interview with Yamane (from Panasonic Camera Division) and essentially I think Panasonic will be shrinking their portfolio as well. The higher-end system cameras seem to be doing mostly fine... even more so with people using them as web cameras no that so many are working from home. Compact camera market seems to be taking an even faster nosedive and I think this accounts for a large amount of camera market shrinkage. That was a huge part of the business that's being taken over by cellphones in general.

I'm not sure there will be another GM or GX camera but I'm certain the GH and maybe the G line will continue on.

Speaking just for myself, I don't see a S5 and L-mount lenses as a comparable replacement for my pair of GX8 cameras and m43 lenses which I primarily use when traveling.

Gary
www.lumixs5.com

Lmount will never be as small as MFT. So for me it is not an either/or. Maybe I will add Lmount, but will never replace my MFT

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Interstingly it's slightly smaller than the G9. The lenses will mostly be bigger of course, but this is a camera that would fit well in my bag. Apparently, the new S5 battery can be used with the G9/GH5 as well.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
This camera ticks almost all the boxes for me. I would have preferred to have the option of shooting all-i video, since it eases the strain on older computers when editing, but that's about it I think.

iiiNelson

This camera ticks almost all the boxes for me. I would have preferred to have the option of shooting all-i video, since it eases the strain on older computers when editing, but that's about it I think.
I think the lack of All-I is to further differentiate from the S1H. It looks like a good option and it’s reasonable to expect many of the features to make it into the other Lumix S cameras via firmware. In any case perhaps the h.264 will be East in your computer and if not I recommend an Atomos recorder and shooting to one of the ProRES/Avid DNX variant.

Of the new lenses, I’m interested in the 24 and 35. I’ll probably still get the 50 S Pro. Looks like a great camera that’s not for me personally but perhaps I’ll get one for my wife. In the US they’re giving away the Sigma 45/2.8 alongside the camera as a preorder bonus.

On a side note they announced some video updates for the S1R that seem to maybe bring it up to the Leica SL2 levels.