The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ebony or Linhof Master Technika?

carstenw

Why do you insist on buying new at great extra cost, even if the lens/camera has only been used a few times? It seems that no matter how much money someone has, there must be better ways to spend it than buying everything absolutely new.

Professional

Why do you insist on buying new at great extra cost, even if the lens/camera has only been used a few times? It seems that no matter how much money someone has, there must be better ways to spend it than buying everything absolutely new.
It is a personal reason, i can't tell more.
I said before that i will be very happy with new completely item even it doesn't work than a used one and few issues coming later, I had an issue with my 1DsIII last year and i was happy that it was new and i took it to service, if it was used then i may sell it, so when i have new and an issue occurs i say fine, if it is used about 80-90% i will blame myself that i bought it used and i may sell it if that issue or other issues happen.

Last thing, i want to have all systems new, all my DSLRs are new, my only digital MF is new, only film MF i bought used and still i didn't use any of them to see, now if i will but LF for first time then i would like to have new one, if i will be another LF then i will go with used or second hand, if i buy 2-3 cars, always the first i want it new even it costs $1m, the others could be used.

Tex

Subscriber Member
Professional, when the romance is over with your "NEW" LF gear, I am a buyer at 50% to 60% of what you paid (assuming it is in great condition).

You will only lose 40% to 50% by selling to me or others on the board.

It is a personal reason, i can't tell more.
I said before that i will be very happy with new completely item even it doesn't work than a used one and few issues coming later, I had an issue with my 1DsIII last year and i was happy that it was new and i took it to service, if it was used then i may sell it, so when i have new and an issue occurs i say fine, if it is used about 80-90% i will blame myself that i bought it used and i may sell it if that issue or other issues happen.

Last thing, i want to have all systems new, all my DSLRs are new, my only digital MF is new, only film MF i bought used and still i didn't use any of them to see, now if i will but LF for first time then i would like to have new one, if i will be another LF then i will go with used or second hand, if i buy 2-3 cars, always the first i want it new even it costs $1m, the others could be used.

Professional

Professional, when the romance is over with your "NEW" LF gear, I am a buyer at 50% to 60% of what you paid (assuming it is in great condition).

You will only lose 40% to 50% by selling to me or others on the board.
I have very very bad habit, which is i don't sell anything even old and not working or not used at all, i have about 30% of my gear many people asking me to sell, but i didn't, because of the same reason you pointed, 30-50% of the first price of it.

If you have Canon, will you buy my EF 28-90? Will you buy my 1D markII N with about $2500? what price will you pay for my 1Ds mkII? the conditions of all my gear are Excellent or very good, that 28-90 is like new because i used it only twice.

stephengilbert

Why do some people insist on buying new items rather than used?

Why does anyone care?

In a venue where people can rave about the newest Leica camera that costs more than a car, why can't someone opt to buy something new rather than used? It may not be the most cost effective course, but the most cost effective course in buying the M9, for example, would be to wait a year and buy a used one at half today's price. Is anyone suggesting that not doing so is foolish?

carstenw

It is not foolish, but it is not cost-effective either. In the end Professional is right: it is a personal decision. I like new things too, and try to buy specific things new, but if I had insisted on buying everything new, I would not own any MF equipment right now, and that loss would have been far greater to me than the loss of newness.

Professional

It is not foolish, but it is not cost-effective either. In the end Professional is right: it is a personal decision. I like new things too, and try to buy specific things new, but if I had insisted on buying everything new, I would not own any MF equipment right now, and that loss would have been far greater to me than the loss of newness.
To me only it depends on the gear i want to buy, if i know that i will buy something and i will use it less than other gear then i may go with used, i mean in the same system and one system to another [one format to another], for example: if i will use one large format camera, but 3 lenses, i prefer to buy new LF camera, about lenses i have to see, if one lens i will use about 80-90% then i buy it new, if another lens will be rarely used [20-30% of the time] then i will get it used. But i know that i will use that LF maybe 30-40% of my photography [or maybe less] comparing to all my digital cameras, that doesn't mean for me i will go with used LF camera, as long it will be the first one then i prefer it to be new.

Now the question is: What is the cheapest 8x10 LF can i buy "New"? or let's say where i can find a cheaper 8x10 LF NEW? Don't worry about the budget, it is up to me if i can afford it or i have limited budget, i just want to have all options [new and used] so i can decide myself with what to go.

bensonga

Tex, this comment is interesting. Can you show me proof of a Sony 900 outperforming 4x5? I would love to see these results. Presumably then the Nikon D3x (single shot not stitched frames) would be better than 4x5 too?

If memory serves me correct 39 mpix MFDB photographers on this forum claim their backs fall just shy of 4x5 quality. Look forward to your reply.

Thanks

Rob
I was kinda hoping we'd hear something from Tex on this one by now. I've got my credit card at the ready. Might trade my Ebony 45SU in for a Sony A900 and pull myself away from the TV.....just as soon as I see the proof in the pudding, so to speak.

I have no doubt that images from the 20+ megapixel full frame DSLRs are very, very good.....but "much better" than a high quality scan of 4x5 film? I'm anxious to see the evidence supporting that conclusion.

Gary

Tex

Subscriber Member
Gary, perhaps you have been watching too much television OR overly concerned about coordinating colors/woods/textures with your “little bitty” 45SU OR have a reading/comprehension disorder BUT I did not (let me repeat for you “did not”) state that a A900 produced “much better” images than 4x5.

I was using “much better” in the context of ease of use, versatility, time saving, cost saving from not having to purchase miniscule 4x5 film, scanning and processing. In fact, with proper technique, stitching with the Sony A900 will far exceed your “little bitty” 45SU.

I have owned two 45SU’s and a Sony A900 and feel that I have a decent appreciation of the capabilities of each.

I personally love LF photography but feel the cost/benefit ratio with “little bitty” 4x5 miniature cameras is not beneficial for MY STYLE OF SHOOTING. An 810 body and a DSLR is IMHO a perfect combo in the field.

Have fun and lighten up – life is short!
I was kinda hoping we'd hear something from Tex on this one by now. I've got my credit card at the ready. Might trade my Ebony 45SU in for a Sony A900 and pull myself away from the TV.....just as soon as I see the proof in the pudding, so to speak.

I have no doubt that images from the 20+ megapixel full frame DSLRs are very, very good.....but "much better" than a high quality scan of 4x5 film? I'm anxious to see the evidence supporting that conclusion.

Gary

bensonga

Thanks for the clarification Tex. I guess both Rob and I thought your statement that "a Sony 900 is a much better and less expensive alternative" to shooting 4x5 film had at least something to do with better image quality.

It's pretty obvious to most of us that a Sony A900 is more convenient to use and less expensive than shooting 4x5.

Gary

darr

Because of recent inquiries for the Ebony 45SU I was thinking of selling, I need to let it be known that the camera has been sold. The camera was shipped to California a week ago. For anyone interested in seeing what a beautiful 45SU looks like, here is a link to the photos.

For price updates for a used minty 45SU at this time, I sold it for $3,200; included the RRS plate and shipping + insurance.

Kind regards,
Darr