Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Which 90mm f/4.5 or f/5.6?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Which 90mm f/4.5 or f/5.6?

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    I couldn't find a Nikkor f8 when I was looking for a 90mm......so I ended up with a fairly new Schneider SA f8. Is it worth keeping or should I continue looking for a Nikkor 90/8?

Gary
    Does it make sharp images across the negative at f16? If so, then you're not likely to see a lot of difference in the Nikkor
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    I had a 135/3.8 before and while I would agree it wasn't stellar, especially when compared to a modern plasmat like the Rodie 135 APO S (one of the sharpest LF lenses i ever owned), but you could shoot at f3.8 with the Xenar! (Which is very difficult to do with a Rodie or Schneider or Nikkor or Fuji plasmat ) Moreover, it renders a much creamier bokeh than the plasmats. I think you'll like it for your project.
    Yes, it could come handy for certain subjects, like the stone angels that I often find. FWIW, I heard only disparaging comments about the 135/4.5, not the 135/3.8, which seems well-liked. I am not expecting it to be as sharp as a modern lens, don't worry.

The particular copy that I am getting has some ills, like slight haze somewhere, and slower shutter speeds which may not be accurate, but if I do end up liking it, I will send it for a CLA. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good LF service place in Europe/Germany? Has anyone used Batchvarov & Thiel?
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Careful on haze -- haze can = fungus, especially if it's "spotty" or "in one area only." Slow speeds in older shutters that have sat unused for lengthy periods are common and a good CLA will spiff them right back up.
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm. I suppose I will do a CLA then regardless... I have read other users' accounts of cleaning up fungus with bleach, so there is at least some hope for a clean lens after a CLA?
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Does it make sharp images across the negative at f16? If so, then you're not likely to see a lot of difference in the Nikkor
    I guess what I meant to or should have asked is this: are the Nikkor f8 and Schneider SA f8 lenses of the same optical type (Plasmats?), so their performance (assuming good copies) should be roughly similar? Or is there something special about the design of the Nikkor 90 f8? There were a few comments here suggesting it was the best of the f8 90s.

Gary

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

If I understood correctly, the interesting thing about the Nikon is the larger image circle?
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I guess what I meant to or should have asked is this: are the Nikkor f8 and Schneider SA f8 lenses of the same optical type (Plasmats?), so their performance (assuming good copies) should be roughly similar? Or is there something special about the design of the Nikkor 90 f8? There were a few comments here suggesting it was the best of the f8 90s.

Gary
    Yes, yes and no . Bottom line is that there are specific tradeoffs in lens design. As you remove distortions, you impart aberrations and falloff and as you balance the design for absolute resolving power, you lose total contrast. So here, Nikon, Schneider, Fuji and Rodenstock all took slightly different stances on what they balance to. Nikkor leans to high contrast where Schneider is on teh opposite side leaning to absolute resolution.

Nikkor LF lenses arguably have the highest contrast. High contrast is often mistaken for superior resolution in an image because you can distinguish the edges better. However, in reality, the Schnider lenses I tested on my Air force resolution target with the Betterlight scanning back showed that the Schneiders out-resolved almost everything else. Rodenstock generally falls next after Nikkor in favoring contrast, but changed the bias on their APO S lenses toward resolution -- more in a minute*. Fuji is sort of next, or may be even lower contrast than most Schneiders depending on specific lens.

*With the Rodie APO S design they really pulled the stops out and figured out a way to maintain almost as high a contrast high contrast and get excellent resolution. But then Schneider figured it out pretty quickly too after that and released their newer APO L designs. At the end of the day, you'd be hard-pressed to distinguish a Rodie APO S shot from a Schnieder APO L shot, though IMO there remains a slight bit of smoothness advantage to the Schneider APO L and a bit more contrast in the Rodie APO S, but we are really splitting hairs at 100% pixel view when compared side-by-side and you'll never ever ever see these subtleties in a print of any size...

Quote Originally Posted by carstenw View Post
    If I understood correctly, the interesting thing about the Nikon is the larger image circle?
    Finally, IC specs vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, so you need to be careful when comparing, and generally the Germans tend to be less forgiving than the Japanese. Almost all LF glass *ILLUMINATES* well beyond its stated IC, but at some point resolution has fallen off to a less than acceptable level. And this will vary from sample to sample of the same lens, so manufacturers pick a mean and use that as the spec. In the case of Rodenstock, this might be 30LPMM resolution, where with Nikon it may b 20LPMM -- note that I do not know the precise values, this is just an example. The other item is actual manufacturing and QC tolerances, and these probably vary between manufacturers too. ("Bad" lenses are sold out the back door and get a 3rd party name stamped on them or sent back to the technicians to get re-benched and adjusted to come within spec.)

So we are talking about the same basic lens design with subtle biases between manufacturers that make a difference in how the lenses render -- but that difference remains pretty subtle, so at the end of the day, ANY of these modern plasmats if not damaged by some user in the chain of custody will all render quite well.

I would say the *only* reason to consider a switch is to get a uniform rendering of color, contrast and edge characteristics across your focal range -- and that is the precise reason I ended up with mostly Schneiders. But I could have been just as happy with a selection of Rodies. Nikkors in general I found too harsh in contrast, but like the color (my preference only). I found Fujis in general a bit to variable in color rendering, but liked the other characteristics. Rodies were cooler than Schneiders and a bit harsher on contrast, so why I ultimately ended up with Schneiders. But YMMV based on which criteria strike you...

Hope that helps!

BTW, here is an online chart that lists manufacturer specs for many 4x5 LF lenses: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...s/LF4x5in.html

Here is a broader link to other LF format choices: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lenses/

Cheers,
    Jack

SCHWARZZEIT

Thanks for that very informative post, Jack!

When you tested those lenses for absolute resolving power with the Betterlight back were you able to see that the lenses actually limited the resolution?

AFAIK these scanning backs have a rather large pixel pitch that only allows resolving up to 70 lp/mm at most which is easily within reach of most modern LF lenses at the IC center.

-Dominique

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SCHWARZZEIT View Post
    Thanks for that very informative post, Jack!

When you tested those lenses for absolute resolving power with the Betterlight back were you able to see that the lenses actually limited the resolution?

AFAIK these scanning backs have a rather large pixel pitch that only allows resolving up to 70 lp/mm at most which is easily within reach of most modern LF lenses at the IC center.

-Dominique
    Actually yes. Note that I am measuring line-PAIRS per mm or LPmm, which is half the measurement of lines PER mm or L/mm. The BL I had at maximum res (9000 interpolated x 12000 actual pixels) could discern around 56 LPmm on my test target. In some cases --- the Rodie APO S and Schneider APO L, I had a few lenses at a few apertures outresolve (or at least match) the camera -- notably the Schneider 120 APO L, 150 APO L and 210 APO W; in Rodie, the 135 APO S and 150 APO S did as well. My Sinar badged 90 SA MC and Linhof badged 65 SA MC both made 52, as did one of the Schneider 110 SS XL's I tested. However in most cases, you could see the lenses fall off before the sensor, usually around 50/52 LPMM for a great lens, 45/47 LPmm for a good lens, and 40/42 or so for most normal 4x5 lenses. Most of the older lenses only managed mid through high 30's, and the worst I tested managed a 26 or 28 -- but that was an old turn of the 20th century Tessar. But keep in mind, for a 16x20 print, all you really need is about 25 LPMM on a 4x5 neg for as sharp an image as you can see with your naked eye on that print...
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, that is correct. The lens construction of the Nikkor is basically different than that of the other f/8 lenses. As I mentioned previously, the Nikkor uses basically the same formula as all the manufacturers use for their faster f/4.5 and f/5.6 lenses, but kept the aperture and size down. It is also a slightly better lens than at f/11 than most of the faster lenses.

The other manufacturers used a simpler formula for their f/8 lenses, and that resulted in a smaller image circle.

Nikon and Fuji have at times issued claims for image circles which were, to put it gently, optimistic. This is particularly true for Nikon's 'M' lenses and Fuji's 'A' lenses. However, in the case of the 90/8 the claims are true and the image circle is the same as that of the 90/4.5 Grandagon and Schneider 90/5.6SA. I've owned and used all three extensively.

Henning

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Schneider regular SA f5.6 has an identical spec IC to the Nikkor f8 and f4.5 at 235mm. The 90 XL spec is 24mm larger at 259. The regular Schneider SA f8 90 is specd at 216, 19mm less. Nikon specs their f8 lens at f22, while they spec their f4.5 lens at f16 -- a significant difference and why they spec the same total (smaller apertures generate larger IC's).

Now note you need 154mm IC to fully cover the 4x5 frame. So with the regular Schneider f8 SA, I can shift a total of (216-154)/2 or 31mm; the Nikkor can theoretically go (235-154)/2 or 40mm -- a 9mm difference if the spec isn't overly optimistic. At the end of the day, I never shifted more than maybe 15mm tops with my 90, so never even came close to running out of IC on my Schneider, but YMMV... Personally, if I knew I was going to need gobs of shift, I'd consider the XL to insure I never ran out! (Actually, I'd buy the 72 XL instead if I needed that kind of movement, but that's another story .) Seriously now, the 90 XL will generously cover 5x7 with about 30mm of rise capability, and 5x7 is where this particular set of lenses is going to be challenged on IC, not at 4x5...

Cheers,
    Jack

SCHWARZZEIT

Actually yes. Note that I am measuring line-PAIRS per mm or LPmm, which is half the measurement of lines PER mm or L/mm.
    When I was writing lp/mm I also meant line pairs per mm. So you need at least two pixels to cover one line pair of information.
    The BL I had at maximum res (9000 interpolated x 12000 actual pixels) could discern around 56 LPmm on my test target. In some cases --- the Rodie APO S and Schneider APO L, I had a few lenses at a few apertures outresolve (or at least match) the camera -- notably the Schneider 120 APO L, 150 APO L and 210 APO W; in Rodie, the 135 APO S and 150 APO S did as well. My Sinar badged 90 SA MC and Linhof badged 65 SA MC both made 52, as did one of the Schneider 110 SS XL's I tested. However in most cases, you could see the lenses fall off before the sensor, usually around 50/52 LPMM for a great lens, 45/47 LPmm for a good lens, and 40/42 or so for most normal 4x5 lenses. Most of the older lenses only managed mid through high 30's, and the worst I tested managed a 26 or 28 -- but that was an old turn of the 20th century Tessar.
    The problem I think with your test could be that the Betterlight or any other image sensor needs a certain minimum contrast to discern detail close to its Nyquist frequency. That's where the sensor MTF drops to zero. The alignment of the pixel grid with the lines of the test pattern could also vary and affect contrast.

The Kodak Imagelink HQ microfilm I used for my own tests has an MTF of 100% at 50 lp/mm, 80% at 100 lp/mm and 45% at 200 lp/mm according to its data sheet. I used a high res drum scanner to analyse my results at 8900 ppi and from all the lenses I tested I could get more than 80 lp/mm at some aperture with some like the 110 XL close to 100 lp/mm. When I had the chance to look at some of the negs under a microscope I found that even my drum scanner wasn't able to resolve all the detail on the film. In fact the resolution of the 110 XL at f/8 was between 118 and 139 lp/mm with the lower value being clearly resolved and the higher value barely showing contrast when enlarged x100. When I tested my scanner with a high contrast lith target it was able to resolve more than 160 lp/mm. But the actual contrast on film from LF lenses at their limiting resolution is simply too low for the scanner to resolve.
    Dr. Hubert Nasse from Zeiss told me that the resolving power of a lens is always limited by diffraction. The difference between a so-called diffraction limited lens and a lesser lens is that the aberrations of the latter already reduce the contrast at lower spatial frequencies in a way that their contrast modulation becomes so low that it becomes impossible to detect detail at higher frequencies by most image recording media, thus limiting their effective resolution often far before the theoretical diffraction limit.
    But keep in mind, for a 16x20 print, all you really need is about 25 LPMM on a 4x5 neg for as sharp an image as you can see with your naked eye on that print...
    As a rule of thumb I agree and so does the printing industry by setting 300 ppi as a widespread standard. However, there have been experiments that many viewers could see a subtle difference in print detail quality up to 15 lp/mm. For example you will see a quality difference from a high quality 8x10" contact print to a drum scan of the same film printed to 8x10" at 300 or 400 ppi. John B. Williams in his book Image Clarity writes that you'll not perceive an improvement in detail in a print above 25 lp/mm.

In the end all these tests are more of an academic nature than having a serious impact on real world photography. But the process helped me a lot to understand the subject and optimize my own imaging chain where it mattered.

-Dominique

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Dominique:

My test was far less formal. My USAF test target has K, R, B and Y resolution targets oriented vertically, horizontally and tangentially, so I could measure all aspects. I could also easily measure center, mid and edge performance of the lenses. The BL scanning software has live focus, so I could confirm focus electronically, and actually can see slightly differing focus point for the R, G and B channels on most lenses, including the better APO lenses(!) I tested my lenses at f8, 11, 16 and 22, and not further because I could detect diffraction with this system kicking in usually between f11 and f16, certainly by f22. I did not use a Koran target or software and had to judge resolution to my best guess at around 20% contrast, which is certainly flawed. And yes, contrast is an issue in my format of test as was my visual measurement.

Anyway, my system was resolution limited to about 56 LPmm in the best case, though the best lenses I mentioned I hit that clearly, where the others did not, hitting the ranges I indicated. Moreover, I could easily see the resolution falloff from center to edge for all lenses.

I did test my lenses shifted as well (amount varied with focal), but found that most under 150mm lost resolution pretty quickly, though longer focals held longer (obviously).

FWIW, Mike Collette, the owner of Betterlight, also tested lenses for his backs. He found that extremely few LF lenses were capable of meeting, let alone outresolving his Super 12K scanning back. And his results supported my own findings, in that only a few Schneider APO L and Rodenstock APO S lenses delivered the goods -- specifically the 135 Rod APO S and the Schneider 120 APO L exceeded it, and the 150's from both were very close. Also, they only made it at f8 as you could see the effects of diffraction affecting results by f11. The 110 SS XL did not come close for him either, hitting the 50 or so LPmm I found.

FWIW only...
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would imagine that the camera and shooting conditions are more important than the lens, assuming you are using a good modern lens. Most 4x5 cameras are not nearly as rigid as smaller format cameras...even the very good cameras tend to have some flex and play in them. It's just a fact of life in the materials used and the desire for camera movements, portability etc. In the real world when you are out in the landscape with a field camera and a even slightly breezy day, the vibrations from the wind and the flex are going to equalize a lot of lenses.
    But isn't the point of large format that you don't need to pixel peep? You can use the lens that fits your criteria (focal length, size, coverage, aperture etc) and be reasonably sure that you will be able to print very large even if you are not using the latest, greatest lens ever. Technique and execution is more likely to matter in LF than in most of the smaller formats where the cameras do so much more for you (like stay plane parallel, focus automatically etc.).
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Schneider regular SA f5.6 has an identical spec IC to the Nikkor f8 and f4.5 at 235mm. The 90 XL spec is 24mm larger at 259. The regular Schneider SA f8 90 is specd at 216, 19mm less. Nikon specs their f8 lens at f22, while they spec their f4.5 lens at f16 -- a significant difference and why they spec the same total (smaller apertures generate larger IC's).

Now note you need 154mm IC to fully cover the 4x5 frame. So with the regular Schneider f8 SA, I can shift a total of (216-154)/2 or 31mm; the Nikkor can theoretically go (235-154)/2 or 40mm -- a 9mm difference if the spec isn't overly optimistic. At the end of the day, I never shifted more than maybe 15mm tops with my 90, so never even came close to running out of IC on my Schneider, but YMMV... Personally, if I knew I was going to need gobs of shift, I'd consider the XL to insure I never ran out! (Actually, I'd buy the 72 XL instead if I needed that kind of movement, but that's another story .) Seriously now, the 90 XL will generously cover 5x7 with about 30mm of rise capability, and 5x7 is where this particular set of lenses is going to be challenged on IC, not at 4x5...

Cheers,
    You're quite right in all of that, Jack. I do architectural photography and my observations and predilections are coloured by that. On the other hand, I did try both the f/4.5 Nikkor and the f/8 and found them to have essentially identical useable image circles.

I do use the 72XL a lot, and find that an outstanding lens for my work. The older 75/4.5's and 5.6's didn't have quite enough movement but I really don't run out of room with the 72. The 90 Nikkor has just enough movement for anything I want to do with a 90 whereas the 90XL has more than I need (and is huge, which causes problems with filters).

None of my clients are willing to have me shoot larger than 4x5 anymore, so I sold my bigger stuff a while ago.

Henning

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, the decision is made. I noticed that Jack had a 90mm f/5.6 Super Angulon Sinar select at some point, and I read a bunch of old/modern lens comparisons for LF, and decided that getting an XL or a 4.5 Grandagon-N was just not necessary. I am not in this game for the absolute last drop of resolution, almost the opposite. I want to move beyond all this tech, and just shoot, not worrying too much beyond my careful initial purchases. I will get a nice, simple, good kit, and then stop worrying.

I found a 90mm f/5.6 Super Angulon MC Linhof select running at around 360 Euro in the last minutes, and made my bid of 419 Euro in the last seconds of the auction. It went for 420 Euro... I was quite frustrated, but my current situation with my hands full of unsold equipment doesn't allow me to bid higher than that. Grumbling to myself, wondering if I would have gotten it had I bid 429 or 439, I distracted myself by reading through eBay's "perhaps you are interested in one of these other auctions" page, displayed after an auction is over. I looked through them, and spotted another 90/5.6 SA MC with a Compur #1 shutter (#1? I thought these were built with #0 shutters?). Grumbling about the Linhof select I just missed, I clicked on it. 399 Euro Buy Now, good condition, everything seemed hunky dory. Then I spotted it: clearly visible on the front lip, although unmentioned in the auction description, was the script Linhof! 0.1 seconds later it belonged to me

After the auction, I did notice something I am not familiar with. On the board on which the lens is mounted, there is a Prontor Professional shutter. What is that, and can I just remove it?

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=350312792015

Although I will certainly use it wide open in situations where I want small DoF and where the corners don't matter too much, I would still like to know how far I have to stop it down to get very sharp corners. Anyone?
    Last edited by carstenw; 8th February 2010 at 10:17.
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Richardson View Post
    I would imagine that the camera and shooting conditions are more important than the lens, assuming you are using a good modern lens. Most 4x5 cameras are not nearly as rigid as smaller format cameras...even the very good cameras tend to have some flex and play in them.
    This is true too. But here again, I used among the most rigid 4x5 cameras for the test -- my Arca F-Metric or Ebony -- both mounted on either a 3 or 5 series Gitzo CF pod and my ground-floor studio with concrete floor. The most rigid camera the folks at Betterlight found was the Toyo monorail, the version *without* the base tilts. Next in line were the Arca Metric (not Monolith!) and Ebony.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by henningw View Post
    You're quite right in all of that, Jack. I do architectural photography and my observations and predilections are coloured by that. On the other hand, I did try both the f/4.5 Nikkor and the f/8 and found them to have essentially identical useable image circles.

I do use the 72XL a lot, and find that an outstanding lens for my work. The older 75/4.5's and 5.6's didn't have quite enough movement but I really don't run out of room with the 72. The 90 Nikkor has just enough movement for anything I want to do with a 90 whereas the 90XL has more than I need (and is huge, which causes problems with filters).

None of my clients are willing to have me shoot larger than 4x5 anymore, so I sold my bigger stuff a while ago.

Henning
    We are definitely in synch with this, and I understand your need for as much shift as practical with the 90 for interiors. My case was different as I was looking for color and tone consistency while having adequate IC, hence our different choices -- neither is wrong, and in fact both seem correct for our individual purposes .
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Then I spotted it: clearly visible on the front lip, although unmentioned in the auction description, was the script Linhof! 0.1 seconds later it belonged to me

After the auction, I did notice something I am not familiar with. On the board on which the lens is mounted, there is a Prontor Professional shutter. What is that, and can I just remove it?

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=350312792015

Although I will certainly use it wide open in situations where I want small DoF and where the corners don't matter too much, I would still like to know how far I have to stop it down to get very sharp corners. Anyone?
    First off, congrats, you did good. Second, the Prontor Pro is an excellent shutter. The "stuff" that looks like it's on the board is actually part of the shutter -- makes adjustments easier from behind the camera -- only downside is the bit of added size and weight. You can remove it, but may need a standard cable release socket -- I cannot specifically recall on the Prontor. Regardless, I would mount it and shoot it as-is for a while before deciding...

On film even with a good scan, you should be able to use up to f32 without seriously degrading the image due to diffraction. Bottom line is there is a curve of tradeoffs between the added DOF and the added diffraction -- heck, you may even like the slight veiling, glowy diffraction effect from f45, so possibly worth a try!
    Jack

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info, Jack. About stopping down, I was more looking for what my minimum aperture should be before the corners sharpen up. f/8? f/11?

I presume that the Compur-1 is just mounted instead of the usual 0 due to the Prontor shutter?
    Carsten - Website

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Now I just have to decide if I spring for a Linhof Technika (IV/V/MT/MT2k), or wait for the Chamonix 45N-2. I will go read documentation for the Technika to get a better feel for what I might be giving up. Superficially, it has a lot less movements, but it looks like it is cleverly enough done that with a bit of swing or tilt on the back, one can actually get most things done regardless.

I don't anticipate a huge need for movements, but since this is partly a learning experience, I was interested in having them regardless. Most of the time, I can probably get away with a little front rise-n-fall, and a little rear swing-n-tilt, with the occasional front tilt also coming in handy. The Technika can handle all this.
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'd get an Ebony before the Tech. Heck, I'd buy a Shen Hao before a tech, but that's me ...
    Jack

DougDolde

I'd go 110mm SSXL and 210 Apo Symmar.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Doug, I guess you are coming from a more well-fed wallet state than I I am quite happy with the two lenses I have bought. Both have good reputations, neither is going to be beat easily by any lens, including the two you mentioned, unless you really get out the high-powered magnifying glass...
    Carsten - Website

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Jack, I love the Ebonies (Ebonys?) but they are very pricy, and hard to find second-hand. I would also need new lens boards, yet another additional cost.
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack, I love the Ebonies (Ebonys?) but they are very pricy, and hard to find second-hand. I would also need new lens boards, yet another additional cost.
    Ebony uses Linhof Tech boards too Arca sells and adapter for Linhof tech boards -- in fact almost every camera out there can be adapted to Linhof tech boards.
    Jack

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah, I thought that Ebony had their own. There aren't that many different (relatively modern) 4x5 boards that I can tell. I thought it was Technika, Ebony and Toyo, but apparently I mixed something up.
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I know you are keeping the budget down, but I would agree with Doug. I have two lenses -- 110mm SS XL, and 210 APO Symmar L. Both are fantastic. My camera is an ebony SV45Ti, which is also great to use. I think monorail cameras are much more pleasant to work with in the studio, but the ebony is so great to use out in the field and it is so small and light when all folded up.
    However, I think you will really enjoy the lenses you got. That 90 looks fantastic!
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Look everyone, I looooove the Ebony cameras, and would loooooove to buy one, but the Technika is expensive, and the Ebonys are twice as much, so there is no chance in hell. Unless someone sells me theirs cheap

And yes, no matter which lens you get, there is something better out there, but honestly, there are strict limits to how much better a lens can be than "great". Here is food for thought, and keep in mind that my lens is sharper, has more coverage, and is faster than the 90 Angulon:

http://www.hevanet.com/cperez/test/AngSSXL.html
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sorry if my post came off as trying to convince you to buy the Ebony and the 110 + 210, rereading it, it sounds like that. What I was really trying to say was that I love what I have, but I think you will also love what you are getting. I agree that a lot of times the differences between the super high-end and the very good is not so great as it is made out to be. Especially in the largest formats like 4x5.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, after reading a few comparisons like the one above, I started realizing that going for an XL or Grandagon-N 90 was really not necessary, and after having read many reviews of the Chamonix (and the Technika), it really isn't necessary to get an Ebony. Sure, the Ebony is nice, but the difference is really not that great in the end. This stuff is *all* great.

I love high-end equipment as much as anyone else, but I really need to focus my money elsewhere at the moment, like debt-clearing and saving for retirement. I am trying to swap out some unused stuff for some stuff I will use more, and if possible, get some money into the bank at the same time. The damn thing is that no one is buying my unused stuff Bad economy to sell in. Anyone want a great chrome M6?
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like

I love high-end equipment as much as anyone else, but I really need to focus my money elsewhere at the moment, like debt-clearing and saving for retirement.
    Don't forget: film.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got 50 sheets of Adox CHS 50 and 50 sheets of Tri-X 320 ($$$) waiting on my shelf I even have the chemicals to develop them, but no tanks yet. I have to figure out what I want to do there. I also need film holders, but it looks like I can get nice Fidelity holders for somewhere between 10 and 20 Euro a piece, second-hand. I'll probably want 5 or so. I also need a focusing loupe. I am still not in the home stretch, I am afraid.
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congratulations on the Linhof 90...it looks like a beauty! You can absolutely have a great time learning and get terrific photos with less expensive equipment. I started out with a Graphic monorail view camera and Ilex lens...the whole works (with case, film holders etc) cost less than $300 (in the mid-80s) and one of my best ever 4x5 photos was taken with that camera.

Whatever you get, I'm sure you'll enjoy it and years down the road, if you still enjoy LF, you may yet find the right time to buy one of those beautiful Ebony's. Couldn't afford mine until I was 50+ years old.

Gary

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I sure hope I will like LF enough to stay. If I do, an Ebony may well be in my future, but maybe a 5x7.
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You can absolutely have a great time learning and get terrific photos with less expensive equipment.
    Excellent point! Even pinhole looks pretty good out of LF --- this was an effective 210mm (moderate wide) f220 pinhole on 8x10 with Pro 160 color neg. Exposure was "Sunny 16", or 1 second...

Jack

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I am still thinking about that Prontor Prof. shutter, since it does look like it might interfere with the front standard on the Chamonix, and almost certainly would interfere with the Master Technika. Would it make sense to keep an eye open for a Copal-0 shutter to replace it with? What are these worth on the second-hand market? The only difference between this shutter on different lenses is the aperture scale, if I understand correctly. Where could I get a correct scale, if I bought a Copal-0 with the wrong scale?

Thanks for all hints.
    Carsten - Website

lilmsmaggie

Jack,

Now that I have actually committed to a Chamonix 45N-2 and bought two used Rodenstock lenses (90mm 6.8, and 210 4.5 APO Sironar-S), I'm hard pressed to decide on the next focal length. I'm leaning towards a 75mm Rodie.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by lilmsmaggie View Post
    Jack,

Now that I have actually committed to a Chamonix 45N-2 and bought two used Rodenstock lenses (90mm 6.8, and 210 4.5 APO Sironar-S), I'm hard pressed to decide on the next focal length. I'm leaning towards a 75mm Rodie.
    I think you'll find 75 and 90 pretty close in terms of what you can do with them. In reality it's like having a 22-1/2 and a 27 in 35mm, so I'd opt for a larger spread, like a 58 (17) and a 90 (27), or a 75 (22-1/2) and a 110 (35).

Here is my preference, but understanding everybody's needs are different. If I could only have 2 lenses, it would probably be a 90 and 150 -- I seriously made 85% of my best LF images with those two lenses. If three, probably a 90, 150 and a 210. A four lens lineup, I'd go 75, 110, 150 and a compact 240. Of course at the end of the day, this is why LF shooters often end up with a bunch of lenses.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And don't forget the Nikkor 120 SW! Or the Nikkor 300 M.

And if you have multiple 4x5 cameras with different size lens boards, you don't want to be messing around screwing and unscrewing the lenses from each lens board.....it's a slippery slope. I'm still thinking I need a second Nikkor 120SW for my Sinar P. That focal length is one of my favorites.

Gary

lilmsmaggie

I think you'll find 75 and 90 pretty close in terms of what you can do with them. In reality it's like having a 22-1/2 and a 27 in 35mm, so I'd opt for a larger spread, like a 58 (17) and a 90 (27), or a 75 (22-1/2) and a 110 (35).
    While shooting assignments for a class last semester (35mm), I found myself wishing I had a 24mm. Although I had a 50-135 zoom, I don't recall any shots taken at the short end of the zooms focal length. I was shooting aircraft in their hangers (this is where the 24mm really would have come in handy), a few environmental portraits and some landscapes.

Most of my shots were with a 28mm, and a 85mm. It was either I couldn't get close enough with the wide angle, or I couldn't get close enough to pull in a distant subject. A bit frustrating but I made due with what I had and put together a nice portfolio for the class.

And don't forget the Nikkor 120 SW! Or the Nikkor 300 M. Gary
    Considered a 120, but wouldn't that be a similar situation like the 75/90?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Considered a 120, but wouldn't that be a similar situation like the 75/90?
    Twice the difference for a 90/120 vs 75/90.

This is a useful page for comparing focal lengths with respect to 35mm cameras:

http://photo.net/equipment/medium-fo...gth-conversion

I wouldn't think twice about owning both a 24mm or 28mm lens and a 35mm lens for a 35mm camera, so the 90/120/150/210/300mm range that I have for 4x5 works for me.

Like many folks, I started out with just one lens and built up my collection over a period of years.

Gary

lilmsmaggie

I wouldn't think twice about owning both a 24mm or 28mm lens and a 35mm lens for a 35mm camera, so the 90/120/150/210/300mm range that I have for 4x5 works for me.
    I could definitely see getting a 300mm. Not sure how long of a focal length the Chamonix can handle before rigidity becomes an issue. I know the Cham will handle the 300mm. Maybe 360 - don't know.

As far as the 75mm goes, I was thinking I would need it if I wanted to do interior shots. I didn't think the 90 would give me enough wiggle room.

Post Thanks / Like

I could definitely see getting a 300mm. Not sure how long of a focal length the Chamonix can handle before rigidity becomes an issue. I know the Cham will handle the 300mm. Maybe 360 - don't know.
    I've used a 360mm f/6.3 Fujinon in Copal 3 on the Chamonix with no problems (with good technique). It's a very rigid camera.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I am happy with my 90/210 first set (and throw in the 135 Xenar). I know that 90/150/210 is more popular, but the multiplication factor from 90 to 135 is 1.5, and from 135 to 210 is almost 1.5, so I think the 135 is the better lens in the middle. 300 would be the next step in this progression.

Anyway, my 135/3.8 Xenar got there, and in general, it is in fantastic condition. The very slowest shutter speeds (1s, 1/2s) sound like they might be a tad slow, and the turning of the shutter speed ring gets stiff towards 1/400s, almost as if there is an extra spring for that shutter speed only, but all speeds run smoothly, so I think if I just used it a little, everything would work fine pretty soon. I think it might just be stiff from disuse.

There is a little squeeze-type shutter-open lever, but when operated, it is a little stiff, and when released, the shutter returns sluggishly. I suppose T could also serve that function. In addition to the the shutter-open lever, aperture ring, shutter speed ring, shutter cocking lever and the shutter release, there is a little green knob which seems to be the flash sync setting (M or X), and then there is a little extra knobbie which I cannot determine the function of, about 8 O'Clock in the first photo, next to the shutter open lever. It slides perpendicular to the shutter speed ring, and I see a little lever running alongside the shutter speed ring move, when I slide the knobbie. It appears to serve as a lock or release to the shutter speed ring or the shutter itself, except that it doesn't actually do this. Anyone?

The one question mark is the "stuff" on one of the lens elements. I have taken some snaps to try to show what it looks like. The lens doesn't actually get foggy as it looks like in the third photo, that is just something to do with the angle and the light reflected off the table behind. In general, it looks a little like there is some dense dust in there, especially around the edges, but no spider webs. I am wondering if it might be the early stages of fungus.
    Last edited by carstenw; 13th February 2010 at 09:09.
    Carsten - Website

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to mention: the covers are not original, and the rear cover is the wrong size. Does anyone know where I can get original, or at least Schneider, covers for this lens, in the right sizes? They outer diameters of the front and rear are 50.8mm and 37.3mm, respectively.
    Last edited by carstenw; 13th February 2010 at 09:20.
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks great Carsten. From what I remember of the SK Grimes website on compur shutters, there actually IS another spring for 1/400th, and it is difficult to turn to, so that behavior is normal. I don't know about the covers, but frankly, I don't think you will have much luck. You are best off trying to find modern snap in caps at around that size if you can (if the lens has threads on the front and back).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

One more thing I forgot: is the Synchro-Compur the same size as a Copal 1? It is too large for my extra Copal 0 board.

Stuart, I think I will be able to find a Schneider 51mm front cover. I found one with my first hit in a search. I don't know about the 37/38mm rear cover though. I might fire off an email to Schneider and ask them directly.
    Carsten - Website

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, my email to Schneider was in vain. The first sentence in the reply was "your lens is 55 years old"... They have apparently washed their hands of lenses this old. I will need to find someone else to service it. I have found a gentleman who will overhaul the shutter, but the lens itself might be more difficult. I will do the shutter first, and then see.
    Carsten - Website

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

My Schneider 90mm f/5.6 Super-Angulon MC, Linhof select, has arrived, and it is a beauty! Really nice condition.

The one catch is the Prontor Professional 01 shutter. It runs beautifully, nicer than my Copal 1, I would say, and the Copal is as new. The Copal feels like a refugee from the past, but the Prontor Prof feels modern. There is a mechanism which allows one to set the aperture from behind, and there is a little lever which allows to open the shutter, also operable from behind. The cable release both cocks and releases the shutter, and every aspect of the shutter is a work of precision, a Zeiss item. Not a mark on it. However, it won't fit on the Master Technika I am going to buy...

What to do, what to do. Apparently there is a thriving market of people looking for these, even people who collect them for every lens they own. Is there anyone here who knows such a person? I might offer it to the gentleman who is fixing up my Synchro-Compur shutter on my 135 Xenar, and who is also going to re-mount the 90/5.6 on a Copal 0 shutter, on a Linhof Technika 0 board. Perhaps he could re-sell it to a studio photographer, and that would help offset, or even exceed, the cost of the Copal 0.

Does anyone have an idea of the value of such a shutter?
    Last edited by carstenw; 15th February 2010 at 11:55.
    Carsten - Website