The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LF Digital Setup

shlomi

I've tried asking this question in the MF forum, but I got MF answers.

I am trying to find a setup which will not be too expensive but will give me good results for close up (macro) with a digital sensor.

I would like to improve DOF sharpness mostly, for objects around 1"-1'.
Now I am using Canon 1Ds3 at f/22 and of course I would like to see something better, otherwise what's the point.
The main problem is diffraction.

I've tried Mamiya ZD with Mamiya 120mm Digital, and I saw good results at f/32.
Other non digital lenses from Mamiya Zeiss and Schneider with not good results.

My conclusion was that I need a digital lens.
So I found these LF lenses:
- Schneider 120mm f/5.6 Apo Digitar M
- Rodenstock 120mm f/5.6 Apo-Macro-Sironar digital

Rodenstock literature recommends movements to get DOF sharpness rather then closed aperture.

So my questions are:
- Assuming I have the digital back and lens, what would be a cheap way to connect them? It seems I need a sliding back adapter to focus? I found a solution for $4500 (Horseman LD) or a sliding back adapter for $2500 with a used Linhof for $500. Is this right?

- Will the lenses I mentioned above give me a result much better than Canon or Mamiya? Is this worth the trouble for this specific application?

Last edited:

Lars

The digital LF lenses such as Digitar 120 differ relevantly from a DSLR lens in image circle. The Digitar 120 is rated at some 100 mm or so image circle - actual coverage is closer to 190 mm, though resolution, fall-off and plane flatness makes image deteriorate a bit towards the edges (but not a whole lot). Compare that to the diagonal of 43 mm for 24x36 format.

Focal plane tilt/shift movements are useful for extending/replacing DOF if the subject matter is flat. If you are shooting a 3-dimensional object such as jewelery then stopping down is unavoidable. This will lead to diffraction.

I would guess that the problem you see isn't related to lens quality.

As you move up in sensor format size, DOF will become more of a problem. A solution could actually be to move to a smaller sensor format. To get a feel for that, try using a digital compact camera at macro setting. This might give you some insight into what happens when sensor size changes.

shlomi

Yes, I have been using stacking.
It works, but it is a poor man's solution - requiring work and doesn't get the best quality.
So far I have moved from Canon to Mamiya and I am seeing nice improvements in image quality.
DOF is much bigger - the loss of DOF due to the bigger sensor is cancelled by the gain in being able to use f/32 with no bad diffraction.
I am working towards integrating digitars and then I expect further improvement.
I can still do stacking on Mamiya source just as well as on Canon source and the results are better.