Site Sponsors

Thread: Ries Tripods?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ries Tripods?

I accidentally uncovered my old (~1972) Ries tripod in the barn attic the other day. I remember using it for 4x5 cameras back then. What's the current opinion of these tripods? Is it worth salvaging/using?

Thanks!
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Ries Tripods?

They are heavy, and rock solid -- and ironically wood remains one of the best vibration insulators around. Net, net, if you compare a Reis to say a Gitzo 3 or 5-series CF pod, you'll probably not be able to choose a clear winner for stability and vibration damping. It's downside is its weight and size.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Jack. Sounds like it might be worth cleaning it up and bringing it back into the daylight.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

I love the look and feel and operation of mine that I've had for 12-15 years, especially the spiked feet that can easily be reversed to rubber. (most spiked feet are worthless) My only issue with it is that it won't go tall enough - only really good for shooting on flat ground at eye level or less, which I almost never do, so I need and use a much taller set of legs that will go up to seven feet or more. I've got eight or ten tripods and the Ries is number three on the list behind the tall Gitzo and tall Velbon...

Post Thanks / Like

Tim, horrid wretched things that should be disposed of by experienced folks.

Fortunately for you I have such experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by epatsellis View Post
    Tim, horrid wretched things that should be disposed of by experienced folks.

Fortunately for you I have such experience.
    Ha! Mine does look horrid at this point. Battle scarred with a true antique patina. Much like its owner.