The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ries Tripods?

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I accidentally uncovered my old (~1972) Ries tripod in the barn attic the other day. I remember using it for 4x5 cameras back then. What's the current opinion of these tripods? Is it worth salvaging/using?

Thanks!
Tim

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
They are heavy, and rock solid -- and ironically wood remains one of the best vibration insulators around. Net, net, if you compare a Reis to say a Gitzo 3 or 5-series CF pod, you'll probably not be able to choose a clear winner for stability and vibration damping. It's downside is its weight and size.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Thanks Jack. Sounds like it might be worth cleaning it up and bringing it back into the daylight.

Tim

Tim Ernst

I love the look and feel and operation of mine that I've had for 12-15 years, especially the spiked feet that can easily be reversed to rubber. (most spiked feet are worthless) My only issue with it is that it won't go tall enough - only really good for shooting on flat ground at eye level or less, which I almost never do, so I need and use a much taller set of legs that will go up to seven feet or more. I've got eight or ten tripods and the Ries is number three on the list behind the tall Gitzo and tall Velbon...

epatsellis

Tim, horrid wretched things that should be disposed of by experienced folks.

Fortunately for you I have such experience.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Tim, horrid wretched things that should be disposed of by experienced folks.

Fortunately for you I have such experience.
Ha! Mine does look horrid at this point. Battle scarred with a true antique patina. Much like its owner. :p