The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Information gathering for project

Hi Guys,

I am thinking about building my own 4x5 camera, of a somewhat onorthodox design. My initial intention is to design it around my own needs i.e. as rigid as possible for a scanning back. Unfortunately with the idea I have in mind, that brings, of course, a list of compromises; mainly a lack of movements and seriously limiting the maximum usable lens' focal length.

I would like to ask you all: if you were using a 4x5 field camera, what maximum focal length you would not want to do without.
I also would like to know which movements you consider a must-have feature.

I think it would be relatively easy to build in rise and/or shift of the film holder, and with some thought possibly even tilt/swing - but doing the same to the lens mount could prove a considerable problem!

These things are not necessarily a problem for my needs, but if most deem them essential it makes sense to try to include them at the design stage.

Thanks!

Graham

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Graham:

Save yourself a bunch of trouble. The most rigid camera out there for the scanning back is a Toyo G, the model *without* the base tilts. Add those base tilts and rigidity goes South in a hurry. So if weight is not a consideration, you can stop there. Lot's of rail extension options, so your max lens is only limited by bellows -- which you can also extend with more bellows and a basic mid standard/frame.

The next most rigid option(s) I found for field work -- and both are a lot more convenient to carry and lighter weight than the Toyo -- were the Ebony 45SU and the Arca F-Metric. I'd give the nod for rigidity to the Ebony for lenses up to 150, then the Arca the nod for lenses over 210; they were about the same at 210. They both could easily focus a 300 in standard trim.

Due to the slight format reduction over 4x5 film, my regular (favorite) 3 lens kit was 65, 120, 210 or 240. If I wanted to fill, I'd add a 90, 180 and 300. I cannot remember any significant image I made with the 180 or 300 with my Betterlight.

If I were getting back into it today, I'd get the Ebony 45SU with Schneider 72SA, 120L and a 240 G-Claron (an original factory taking lens version, not a cobbled copy lens version) as my starting landscape kit. From there I might add a 180 macro and a 300, and maybe a 47 for uber-wide.

Hi Jack,

The project is probably as much for interest and amusement as anything else.

I would hope the end result would be lighter and smaller than the Toyo.

My current lenses are much like your 'fill' options: 65, 90, 180, 300.
It is interesting that you are obviously keen for the 240 to be in the range; I have not had the opportunity to use one.

I'm not sure my initial concept will push to 240; if it is an important selection, I will have to think of a way to include it.

Any thoughts on which movements are essential?

Thanks for the input so far.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
IMHO, the "essential" movements are front rise/fall and tilt. After that, I like rear swing and shift. Ideal is all movements at both standards as it adds flexibility. FWIW, the big advantage to the Ebony I suggested is it offers asymmetrical swings and tilts at the rear standard, conventional up front. That is a very desirable combination for really fast set-ups, and the Ebony maintains outstanding rigidity with those movements in a lightweight package.

Here's a spec sheet for the Ebony 45 SU: http://www.ebonycamera.com/cam/main.45SU.html