The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Recommended Petzvals for 4X5

routlaw

Anybody using these any input would be appreciated including photos.
Matt off and on over at the LF forums there is discussion on these lenses and where you might be able to pu some helpful info. I don't have experience with them myself but for sure they seem to have a bit of a cult following. I think its Jim Galli who works with these things quite a bit. Might be some info on his website too. I think Jim Collum also uses them quite a bit. Maybe he can chime in.

Hope this helps.

Rob

viablex1

Hey thanks Rob, I almost emailed you a pm but heck I am always bugging you with questions. It looks like it is a good idea if you have a flange and some allow a copal 3 to be mounted on them very handy that circular swirl look is cool as is the limited depth of field, man there are some MONSTERS on that forum but at least now I have an idea of what they are talking about!!

glad you made it home safe!!!

matto

routlaw

Hey thanks Rob, I almost emailed you a pm but heck I am always bugging you with questions. It looks like it is a good idea if you have a flange and some allow a copal 3 to be mounted on them very handy that circular swirl look is cool as is the limited depth of field, man there are some MONSTERS on that forum but at least now I have an idea of what they are talking about!!

glad you made it home safe!!!

matto
Well if you get one be looking forward to seeing some images from it. For sure these things are not something you want to go backpacking with up some steep slope in Glacier NP or equivalent. Large and heavy.

It was definitely quite the drive back for sure. But we avoided most of the mess and took the long way around the world to scratch our elbow to get back so to speak.

Rob

routlaw

Rob glad you made it home. MAn those betterlights look good I wonder I could rent one .

oh I and I have been looking at this lens but how to mount it? and or get a shutter on it? its so fast the hat trick may not work even shooting iso6.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=72495
As far as I know there is no one in the business of renting one of these and that also comes straight from the horses mouth at the company too. I use mine almost daily so that would not work either. From time to time they do come up for sale on ebay as fairly good deals, might keep checking there too. There are many different iterations so if you go this route be careful some are not as user friendly especially for field work as the newer ones. Make no mistake though, these systems are not for the feint of heart as the learning curve is quite steep compared to other camera systems. But as you have seen they have no peers in image quality except perhaps the MFD MS backs.

Good ?'s on the petzval. Not having any experience its hard to say how to implement those things. I imagine you could simply mount one to a board with some heavy duty caulk like elastic polymers, ie glue in a tube. But controlling exposure, thats another beast altogether.

viablex1

ehh that figures on the betterlight,

I guess I could get a handlebar mustache and a top hat and then use it to open and close the shutter just like the old days!!!

but I have seen them in copal shutters I think it is expensive to get it done but old grimes does it I think hell who knows!!! goddern point and shoots ruining the woild!!!! by cracky!!!:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

routlaw

ehh that figures on the betterlight,

I guess I could get a handlebar mustache and a top hat and then use it to open and close the shutter just like the old days!!!

but I have seen them in copal shutters I think it is expensive to get it done but old grimes does it I think hell who knows!!! goddern point and shoots ruining the woild!!!!
:ROTFL: LOL! Yes Grimes in CT might be a good place to check out for some mods on those things if you ever do acquire one.

viablex1

:ROTFL: LOL! Yes Grimes in CT might be a good place to check out for some mods on those things if you ever do acquire one.
well believe it or not they have never mad e a shutter for a petzval which I thought was odd a petzval wide open is pretty dern fast so I will have to keep looking!!!!

matto

FromJapan

Depending on the size of the lens it is possible to mount barrel lenses in a Shanel 5A shutter. This was specifically designed for mounting barrel lenses, and does not have an aperture. Speeds run from 1/100 to B. I have two spare shutters. PM me if you'd like to buy one.

Kumar