The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Oh noes! What have I done!?!

photoSmart42

Yup, I'm now into LF photography... Mint condition Chamonix 45N-2. Incredibly excited. Waiting on a lens board to go with the 150 Symmar-S that's coming in a few days, and I should be able to take some first test shots. Yay!!

Cheers!

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Look at what you have done!
First start with zeroing the camera LOL.
-bob

jsf

Once you realize the amazing resolution that Symar is capable of, I have both the 150 and the 210, you just won't be satisfied with anything else, plus the fact that 4x5 has such a big area, so when you print it really has a different look. However that RB67 was no slouch in sharpness and look. For swings and tilts I always preferred a view camera over a field camera, but that was probably because I learned on a view camera and never got used to my field camera. Good luck and we can't wait for the first shots. Joe

photoSmart42

Thanks, I really can't wait. I do love my RB67 and my C330, but I've wanted to move up to the large format for a while. Now that I have a V750 scanner, it makes sense. I'm actually giving up on digital for a while until something really compelling comes along.

I'll post my first photo as soon as I get a lens board.

routlaw

Thanks, I really can't wait. I do love my RB67 and my C330, but I've wanted to move up to the large format for a while. Now that I have a V750 scanner, it makes sense. I'm actually giving up on digital for a while until something really compelling comes along.
Congratulations on this new acquisition. Very nice. Likewise I just ordered a new 4x5 the other day myself, an Ebony which I have lusted after for years. Might end up with one of the 45N-2's before its all said and done though. I will be putting my trusty old Zone VI up for sale soon.

Regarding your last comment about going back to film. Your point is a good one. It's one I have considered for some time for my personal work as well. For commercial its digital all the way. Every system seems fraught with compromises, which would be acceptable were the price of admission not so steep.

I don't relish the notion of film processing and scanning however.

Best of luck with your new camera.

Rob

Professional

Congratulations!
I just bought my Shen Hao about 3 weeks ago, used it first time and scanned it on my V750, i feel i hate my film MF cameras now, but i didn't shoot much yet, only 5 sheets only [2 color slide and 3 B$W], but i always wanted to see why those people here and there who got those 40-80mp cameras gave up their LF and what they did see as resolution with LF in the past.

Professional

I forgot that i processed 1 sheet out of the 3 B&W, wasn't bad, but i am just getting a tool for processing maybe tomorrow or today [Saturday], can't wait to use it to develop my 4x5 films.

bensonga

Congratulations (belatedly) Dragos! I see you've posted a few images to the LF Image thread (I love the macro of the yellow flowers). Our taste in cameras are similar.....I have a Mamiya C220, Pentax 67 and Panasonic G1.

I had one of those "Oh no....what have I done!" moments myself today. Just purchased my sixth view camera......a 4x5 Sinar X. Should arrive here next Wednesday. Time to stock up on more Fuji Quickload film before it's well and truly gone, gone, gone.....forever. I'm dreading the day when I have to start loading film holders again.

Gary
Graphic View I, Graphic View II, Cambo SC2, Ebony 45SU, Sinar P and soon the Sinar X (similar to the P2)

photoSmart42

Congratulations (belatedly) Dragos! I see you've posted a few images to the LF Image thread (I love the macro of the yellow flowers). Our taste in cameras are similar.....I have a Mamiya C220, Pentax 67 and Panasonic G1.

I had one of those "Oh no....what have I done!" moments myself today. Just purchased my sixth view camera......a 4x5 Sinar X. Should arrive here next Wednesday. Time to stock up on more Fuji Quickload film before it's well and truly gone, gone, gone.....forever. I'm dreading the day when I have to start loading film holders again.

Gary
Graphic View I, Graphic View II, Cambo SC2, Ebony 45SU, Sinar P and soon the Sinar X (similar to the P2)
Thanks for the feedback! I'm planning on taking it back out this Memorial Day weekend and perhaps take some photos around Salton Sea. Wish I had more time to take it out more often. I've been playing a lot with my F5 lately, but with the long weekend it's a chance to do something with the 4x5. Can't wait!

thrice

I had plenty of time to get over the sudden expenditure and frightening unknown of my new camera while customs dilly dally'd for 4 weeks with my camera. But I finally received it today. Still need a dark cloth, loupe and tripod plate so it's not that usable at the moment unless I use reading glasses, a t-shirt over my head and screw it directly to the tripod legs. Oh, it's an Ebony 45s, the lens on the camera is a Nikkor-SW 75/4.5 and the lens in front of it is a Caltar-II N 210/5.6 (rebranded Rodenstock).

MP7

Congratulation Gary on your Sinar X. I own the Sinar F2 and P2 and they are great cameras.

Congratulation Daniel on your Ebony. Certainly on my wish list. However, I also like using it like a rangefinder so I just bought the Linhof Master Technika.

djonesii

Workshop Member
This thread makes me sad as the Speed Graphic is under offer, and the Alpenhause is on the chopping block ..... They just have been gathering dust since the ZD then P30+ arrived.

Dave