The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

4X5 macro lens

viablex1

I am sure it has been discussed ad nauseum, but what does the get dpi crowd recommend!!??

Freddy Ready:angel:

routlaw

I am sure it has been discussed ad nauseum, but what does the get dpi crowd recommend!!??

Freddy Ready:angel:
My vote goes to the Rodenstock Sironar S 180 mm Macro. Just bought one earlier this year myself, fabulous lens. And fwiw it is the preferred lens for the Betterlight user group which includes and endorsement from the company. Highly recommended.

Rob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
For the money, the Nikkor 120 is pretty excellent. But if it's dedicated macro you want to do, AND assuming you have enough bellows for it, the Rodie 180 Sironar Macro is amazing. Advantage to the 120's are less bellows extension required and more magnification at any given extension, disadvantage is closer working distances.

FWIW, the Nikkor 120 works well as a general taking lens too as long as you stop it down past f16.

FromJapan

I use the Rodenstock Apo Macro Sironar 180mm with a Betterlight, a Sinarback 54HR, and film, and it performs superbly. Earlier, I had a 120mm Makro-Symmar HM that was also great, but it just barely covered 4x5 at infinity.

Kumar

viablex1

well, I have a chamonix 45N-2 with the universal bellows, the 180 sounds like it would break the bank. I will have to look around for the nikon.

thanks for the recommendations

Matto

routlaw

well, I have a chamonix 45N-2 with the universal bellows, the 180 sounds like it would break the bank. I will have to look around for the nikon.

thanks for the recommendations

Matto
I got mine used but in mint condition from Badger graphics for around $7-8 bills, sorry can't remember which now. I have also seen them on flea bay going for more or less the same. Jack does make a good point about the bellows extension on the 120 mm vs the 180 mm though. But you would be giving up some coverage also with the shorter focal length. The 180 R has a huge amount of coverage.

Hope this helps.

Rob

viablex1

I got mine used but in mint condition from Badger graphics for around $7-8 bills, sorry can't remember which now. I have also seen them on flea bay going for more or less the same. Jack does make a good point about the bellows extension on the 120 mm vs the 180 mm though. But you would be giving up some coverage also with the shorter focal length. The 180 R has a huge amount of coverage.

Hope this helps.

Rob
thanks mang I know you always give really solid advice, will that chamonix universal bellows give me enough draw?

oh, and did you go to the betterlight conference?

Matto

photoSmart42

I use enlarging lenses quite successfully. At reasonable extension they project across the entire 4x5 plane. Very sharp. No real need for a shutter since the exposure times, including reciprocity, are so long - I use either a lens cap or the film holder slider to control timing.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
What lenses do you already own? An old trick for one-off macros is to swap the rear group and front group in the shutter. It works pretty well for 1:1.

pellicle

depends on what working distance you would like to work from your subject and how much bellows draw you have.

Since one normally stops down a bit, I've been of the opinion that with such an area of film that its not so much a critical choice as when dealing with smaller formats. I've been comfortable with 90mm and 180mm. Clearly if doing 1:1 macro then you'll find the 180 may put a strain on how much bellows you have to extend.

I quite like my 90 for stuff like that too and of course its not as bright which influences focusing ease.

My 180mm is a Fujinon multi coated lens and cost me $50 (with a copal shutter)

I suggest you try anything in the 100 ~ 180mm range and see how you go. You can get Fujinon for not a lot of money and while they may not push the LP/MM of more exotic lenses if you're not doing massive enlargement or scanning backs you may be more than satisfied.

are you exposing film?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Try swapping the cells on the 135 or 150, just do NOT loose any shims when you swap. Make sure the shims stay on the side of the shutter they were originally on, usually under the front cell.

Greg Lockrey

switch cells,,, works..
also enlarging lens,,, works.
or "long" cinema lenses (reverse mounted. knew a guy who did diamonds this way. don't remember the lens) ,, works

also try this set of info from one of my fav LF makers (schneider)

http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/vintage_lens_data/large_format_lenses/m-componon/

works mo betta. :)

richard.
I have a printing business catering to artists and making limited edition prints. I did all these things and they work. But the Macro Sinaron Se 180mm f/5.6 and digital camera stitches will match my Epson 10,000xl scanner in sharpness. In fact I did a job for a very fussy artist and he complained that the small fibers from the canvas were showing in his life size print (just like they do in real life). :) It is worth the price.:thumbup: And here it is btw....

Last edited:

Greg Lockrey

christ what a contraption!!!!

lol

very cool!!:angel:
It used to have a Canon 5D on it but I could only get an equivalent of a 2.5" square at 80 mp due to the mirror box getting in the way. With this Oly E-P1 I can get 4x4" square (moving just the rear standard) and 485mp. :thumbup:

Greg Lockrey

gotta love that bag bellows :)
It was made by Studio Tool (Sweden I think) but I don't think they are available any longer. Came with the plate to mount onto the Sinar P rear standard and to the camera but I'm using a Really Right Stuff quick release and L-braket.