The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

4X5 macro lens

dick

It depends what you call macro...

On 10*8 a headshot is almost macro (1:1), and I have a 300mm macro lens.

I also have a set on Zeiss Luminar lenses for 1:1 to 40:1 for "proper" macro (not close-up to 1:1), and a microscope thread adapter to allow me to screw these lenses into a no. 0 shutter.

RodK

The best non-macro Makro lens that is also excellent at infinity is the Apo-Sironar S series from Rodenstock. I have seen a Scarab the size of a Whopper hamburger that was super sharp shot on the 20x24 Polaroid done with a 135mm Apo-sironar-S.
It is also excellent on digital backs provided you stop down to 16+ and sharpen a bit more than true digital lenses.
Both Rodenstock and Schneider do have 120mm Macro digitals as well.

Remember when choosing a focal length you need to have twice the focal length in bellows extension available, for life size(1:1) reproduction.
Rod

jsf

I've used several lenses, One of which is 90mm Super Angulon which gave more than adequate resolution and better DOF. But my Symar S 150mm is my best all around lens for 1:1 reproduction. However I do have a 300mm Apo-Tessar process lens that at 1:2 literally re-defines dust.

dick

I've used several lenses, One of which is 90mm Super Angulon which gave more than adequate resolution and better DOF. But my Symar S 150mm is my best all around lens for 1:1 reproduction. However I do have a 300mm Apo-Tessar process lens that at 1:2 literally re-defines dust.
My 300 is a Macro Sinaron 50 degree f 5.6, by interchanging the front and rear ends it doe 1:3 to 3:1... has anyone had experience of this lens?

Lars

Oh we're alive again :)

For substantially more magnification than 1:1, a reversed SLR lens works extremely well. I've seen a great closeup on 8x10" made with a Nikon 50/1.8.

dick

Oh we're alive again :)

For substantially more magnification than 1:1, a reversed SLR lens works extremely well. I've seen a great closeup on 8x10" made with a Nikon 50/1.8.
Yes... Lenses optimised for infinity do not work well near 1:1, but enlarging lenses work better at intermediate (reversed) magnifications... has anyone tried reversing a macro-close-up lens (1:1 - infinity)?

O

Old-N-Feeble

If you want to experiment with 4x5 macro then why not try one or more of the Polaroid Tominon lenses? They're abundant, dirt cheap, and not half bad. If you decide you like LF macro/micro then you can always upgrade at little or no financial loss.