Site Sponsors

Thread: 4X5 macro lens

Post Thanks / Like

4X5 macro lens

I am sure it has been discussed ad nauseum, but what does the get dpi crowd recommend!!??

Freddy Ready

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 4X5 macro lens

Macro Sinaron Se 180mm f/5.6 MC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by viablex1 View Post
    I am sure it has been discussed ad nauseum, but what does the get dpi crowd recommend!!??

Freddy Ready
    My vote goes to the Rodenstock Sironar S 180 mm Macro. Just bought one earlier this year myself, fabulous lens. And fwiw it is the preferred lens for the Betterlight user group which includes and endorsement from the company. Highly recommended.

Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For the money, the Nikkor 120 is pretty excellent. But if it's dedicated macro you want to do, AND assuming you have enough bellows for it, the Rodie 180 Sironar Macro is amazing. Advantage to the 120's are less bellows extension required and more magnification at any given extension, disadvantage is closer working distances.

FWIW, the Nikkor 120 works well as a general taking lens too as long as you stop it down past f16.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Rodenstock Apo Macro Sironar 180mm with a Betterlight, a Sinarback 54HR, and film, and it performs superbly. Earlier, I had a 120mm Makro-Symmar HM that was also great, but it just barely covered 4x5 at infinity.

Kumar

Post Thanks / Like

well, I have a chamonix 45N-2 with the universal bellows, the 180 sounds like it would break the bank. I will have to look around for the nikon.

thanks for the recommendations

Matto

Post Thanks / Like

well, I have a chamonix 45N-2 with the universal bellows, the 180 sounds like it would break the bank. I will have to look around for the nikon.

thanks for the recommendations

Matto
    I got mine used but in mint condition from Badger graphics for around $7-8 bills, sorry can't remember which now. I have also seen them on flea bay going for more or less the same. Jack does make a good point about the bellows extension on the 120 mm vs the 180 mm though. But you would be giving up some coverage also with the shorter focal length. The 180 R has a huge amount of coverage.

Hope this helps.

Rob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by routlaw View Post
    I got mine used but in mint condition from Badger graphics for around $7-8 bills, sorry can't remember which now. I have also seen them on flea bay going for more or less the same. Jack does make a good point about the bellows extension on the 120 mm vs the 180 mm though. But you would be giving up some coverage also with the shorter focal length. The 180 R has a huge amount of coverage.

Hope this helps.

Rob
    thanks mang I know you always give really solid advice, will that chamonix universal bellows give me enough draw?

oh, and did you go to the betterlight conference?

Matto

Post Thanks / Like

I use enlarging lenses quite successfully. At reasonable extension they project across the entire 4x5 plane. Very sharp. No real need for a shutter since the exposure times, including reciprocity, are so long - I use either a lens cap or the film holder slider to control timing.
    -Dragos
    Panasonic GH1/G1, Canon FTb(n)/F-1, Mamiya C330F/RB67 Pro SD, Chamonix 45N-2, Nikon F5 + Assorted Lenses

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What lenses do you already own? An old trick for one-off macros is to swap the rear group and front group in the shutter. It works pretty well for 1:1.
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

depends on what working distance you would like to work from your subject and how much bellows draw you have.

Since one normally stops down a bit, I've been of the opinion that with such an area of film that its not so much a critical choice as when dealing with smaller formats. I've been comfortable with 90mm and 180mm. Clearly if doing 1:1 macro then you'll find the 180 may put a strain on how much bellows you have to extend.

I quite like my 90 for stuff like that too and of course its not as bright which influences focusing ease.

My 180mm is a Fujinon multi coated lens and cost me $50 (with a copal shutter)

I suggest you try anything in the 100 ~ 180mm range and see how you go. You can get Fujinon for not a lot of money and while they may not push the LP/MM of more exotic lenses if you're not doing massive enlargement or scanning backs you may be more than satisfied.

are you exposing film?

Post Thanks / Like

yes mainly film,

currently I have a 90, 115,135,150 and 210.

matto

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Try swapping the cells on the 135 or 150, just do NOT loose any shims when you swap. Make sure the shims stay on the side of the shutter they were originally on, usually under the front cell.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

currently I have a 90, 115,135,150 and 210.
    ok ... nice set of steps there ... so, if you don't mind me asking, which way are these not doing what you'd like them to?

richard.L

switch cells,,, works..
    also enlarging lens,,, works.
    or "long" cinema lenses (reverse mounted. knew a guy who did diamonds this way. don't remember the lens) ,, works

also try this set of info from one of my fav LF makers (schneider)

http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/...es/m-componon/

works mo betta.

richard.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by richard.L View Post
    switch cells,,, works..
    also enlarging lens,,, works.
    or "long" cinema lenses (reverse mounted. knew a guy who did diamonds this way. don't remember the lens) ,, works

also try this set of info from one of my fav LF makers (schneider)

http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/...es/m-componon/

works mo betta.

richard.
    I have a printing business catering to artists and making limited edition prints. I did all these things and they work. But the Macro Sinaron Se 180mm f/5.6 and digital camera stitches will match my Epson 10,000xl scanner in sharpness. In fact I did a job for a very fussy artist and he complained that the small fibers from the canvas were showing in his life size print (just like they do in real life). It is worth the price. And here it is btw....
    Last edited by Greg Lockrey; 17th June 2011 at 15:33.

Post Thanks / Like

christ what a contraption!!!!

lol

very cool!!

Post Thanks / Like

christ what a contraption!!!!

lol

very cool!!
    It used to have a Canon 5D on it but I could only get an equivalent of a 2.5" square at 80 mp due to the mirror box getting in the way. With this Oly E-P1 I can get 4x4" square (moving just the rear standard) and 485mp.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Lockrey View Post
    I did all these things and they work. But the Macro Sinaron Se 180mm f/5.6 and digital camera stitches will match my Epson 10,000xl scanner in sharpness. .
    gotta love that bag bellows :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pellicle View Post
    gotta love that bag bellows :-)
    It was made by Studio Tool (Sweden I think) but I don't think they are available any longer. Came with the plate to mount onto the Sinar P rear standard and to the camera but I'm using a Really Right Stuff quick release and L-braket.

Post Thanks / Like

It depends what you call macro...

On 10*8 a headshot is almost macro (1:1), and I have a 300mm macro lens.

I also have a set on Zeiss Luminar lenses for 1:1 to 40:1 for "proper" macro (not close-up to 1:1), and a microscope thread adapter to allow me to screw these lenses into a no. 0 shutter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The best non-macro Makro lens that is also excellent at infinity is the Apo-Sironar S series from Rodenstock. I have seen a Scarab the size of a Whopper hamburger that was super sharp shot on the 20x24 Polaroid done with a 135mm Apo-sironar-S.
    It is also excellent on digital backs provided you stop down to 16+ and sharpen a bit more than true digital lenses.
    Both Rodenstock and Schneider do have 120mm Macro digitals as well.

Remember when choosing a focal length you need to have twice the focal length in bellows extension available, for life size(1:1) reproduction.
    Rod
    US Representative, Arca-Swiss International
    R-Line Technical Cameras, Large Format View Cameras, Tripod Heads D4, D4m, P1, P0, Z1, Z2, C1 Cube.
    http://www.rodklukas.com/arca-swiss 480-755-3364
    Instagram @arcaswissusa Facebook @arcaswissusa

Post Thanks / Like

I've used several lenses, One of which is 90mm Super Angulon which gave more than adequate resolution and better DOF. But my Symar S 150mm is my best all around lens for 1:1 reproduction. However I do have a 300mm Apo-Tessar process lens that at 1:2 literally re-defines dust.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jsf View Post
    I've used several lenses, One of which is 90mm Super Angulon which gave more than adequate resolution and better DOF. But my Symar S 150mm is my best all around lens for 1:1 reproduction. However I do have a 300mm Apo-Tessar process lens that at 1:2 literally re-defines dust.
    My 300 is a Macro Sinaron 50 degree f 5.6, by interchanging the front and rear ends it doe 1:3 to 3:1... has anyone had experience of this lens?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh we're alive again

For substantially more magnification than 1:1, a reversed SLR lens works extremely well. I've seen a great closeup on 8x10" made with a Nikon 50/1.8.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Vinberg View Post
    Oh we're alive again

For substantially more magnification than 1:1, a reversed SLR lens works extremely well. I've seen a great closeup on 8x10" made with a Nikon 50/1.8.
    Yes... Lenses optimised for infinity do not work well near 1:1, but enlarging lenses work better at intermediate (reversed) magnifications... has anyone tried reversing a macro-close-up lens (1:1 - infinity)?

Old-N-Feeble

If you want to experiment with 4x5 macro then why not try one or more of the Polaroid Tominon lenses? They're abundant, dirt cheap, and not half bad. If you decide you like LF macro/micro then you can always upgrade at little or no financial loss.