The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Linhof Technika fresnel

tjv

Quick question,
I believe the fresnel screen on my Super Technika V is the original Linhof part. It is very scratched and I'm wanting to replace it. If I purchase the genuine Linhof replacement and simply swap the screen out, could this affect the focus point?
Thanks,
Tim

SergeiR

you can get chineese one, it just has to be of particular thickness.. Or if i may suggest - spend just a bit more and get yourself "brightscreen" like one. One that got lens and groundglass combined. I have it on mine and its pretty sweet. Brighter than original.

tjv

How did you check focus when changing the genuine part for the aftermarket one? As I understand it, any variation in thickness of the GG part will throw the focus off when you slip the film in the back.

tjv

Can anyone recommend an alternative fresnel to the genuine Linhof part? Not that I don't want the real deal, just wondering if there is anything out there I should consider – plus saving money wouldn't hurt! I want to use my original GG, so I just need the fresnel lens.

thrice

How did you check focus when changing the genuine part for the aftermarket one? As I understand it, any variation in thickness of the GG part will throw the focus off when you slip the film in the back.
Well if you own both, lock the camera and make sure the tripod isn't going anywhere, focus very closely on the centre of a set of items of varying distance. Change the fresnel, and check focus again, it shouldn't have moved.

DDudenbostel

If your Technika is like the master I had and the Technika V 2x3 and Technikardan 2x3 I currently have then the fresnel fits on the outside between your eye and the ground glass and the thickness doesn't matter. I've used a cheap magnifying fresnel I picked up in a book store to aid in reading and it works perfect and cost about three dollars. I use a cheap 8x10 fresnel I picked up at Edmund Scientific for my 8x10 and it's great. On the other hand if it's on the inner side of the ground glass between the GG and the lens then it has to be a special thickness as is on my Sinar.

I have no idea why Linhof decided to position the ground glass where the thickness of the glass is critical. To my knowledge Linhof is the only company that does that. Unfortunately due to their backward engineering you will have to pay a premium for a ground glass.

Bob Solomon, if you read this please tell us why they did such a thing.

tjv

Bob kindly answered my question on the Large Format Forums. My fresnel is on the outside, as you describe, so according to Bob it *should* be a simple swap out. Same for the groundglass. I'm lucky to know an ex official Linhof repair person, so I'm going to have to invest my trust in his exceptional skills sometime soon! I've ordered everything I need from Linhof Studios, so will let you know how I get on...