The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mounting an aptus 22 to a Toyo-Omega 4x5

Mike Dote

Hello,
I just picked up an Aptus 22 digital back and I'd like to mount it to my 4x5 view camera. Where can I find the appropriate adaptor? Thank you for your input.

Mike

B

BrianWoolf

Mike,
You will need to know what adaptor is on your Aptus, like Hasselblad V or 645 or Hasselblad H, i am not sure how many there are. Then you can look for the appropriate sliding back, etc.
Kapture Group makes sliding backs for a lot of cameras. Also Digital Transitions and Capture Intergrations(might have missed the spelling) are digital back dealers and could easily have used sliding backs that could work.
You could also troll ebay for a sliding back for your camera, but that could be a very long wait for one to turn up.
There is one other possibility called a Graflok Universal 4x5 back, your back plate and ground glass 'pops' off and is replaced by this, but you would need to purchase an adaptor plate to go on this graflok back that allows your aptus back to mate to it. The basic problem is you can have the groundglass on your camera or the aptus and it quickly becomes a pain to switch them.
Also remember that your 4x5 lens become a lot longer because the sensor area of the aptus is about 1/2 of a 4x5 groundglass.
Leaf makes great backs, enjoy.
Brian

SergeiR

Brian, sensor area of 22 is not even 1/4 of 4x5 (9*12 vs 4.5*6 == 108 and 27, but 22 is 1.1 crop from 645:) other than that - yep. All correct

FredBGG

Not Available
Kapture Group makes really good systems for using digital backs on large format cameras.

They have one back that lets you move the digital back to multiple positions for stitching.

You lock down your tripod and take multiple captures. Your final files will look amazing.

They will have the optical look of large format and 80 MP or more files.

The results with this stitch back are actually best with the 22 MP sensors thanks to their larger 9x9 photo sites. You get the benefits of large photo sites and large final image files.

http://www.kapturegroup.com/quad_ana/quad_port_ana.gif

I have a couple of Kapture Group products and they are really nicely engineered.

They also make kits to allow you to do one shot captures.

RodK

Toyo makes a 4x5 Graflock adapter for Mamiya/Leaf digital backs.
The other thing to be aware of is that focusing short lenses is much more difficult on the ground glass. Do not use more than a 5 power loupe. Otherwise you will magnify the ground glass surface and this will interfere with seeing the image.
100mm and longer probably ok.