The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Deardorff Camera

dave massolo

Looking at buying a 4x5 Special Deardorff with possibly the 5x7 back. Are there any issues I should be aware of with this camera?
Thanks

Lars

Just the regular caveats for any old view camera - watch out for excessive flex when extended, and light leaks in bellows.

DDudenbostel

I've used 8x10 and 4x5 commercially since 1969 and still use one for pleasure. Fabulous cameras and if taken care of will withstand the heaviest of professional use for a lifetime. I recently bought a 4x5 special from s longtime commercial photog friend who bought it new in 1960. It has one tiny pinhole in the corner of the bellows that has been fixed but otherwise it works like new. I shows use but it had probably seen a couple hundred thousand sheets of film through it. My 8x10 that I used commercially since 1972 was built in the early 30's. I updated to front swings in the mid 70's and put a new bellows on it and shot probably 10,000 sheets through it doing catalogs. It wasn't pretty but worked great.

S

sully75

I just bought and then sold a 5x7 special (same camera). I found it to be pretty heavy and clunky. Of course they are great cameras, but I'm glad to not be slinging that over my shoulder anymore.