The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What (relatively) inexpensive 8x10 field camera?

HeavyDuty

I've decided that I want to finally scratch my 8x10 itch - I'm turning 50 this year and am not getting any younger. I never shoot my 4x5 any more because I do not have an enlarger set up and probably never will again.

I plan to shoot street scenes and landscapes and contact print only. I do not need much in the way of movements; to be honest I've even considered a Hobo-type camera, but I think I would do better with a traditional field camera in case I start to shoot architectural subjects (fairly likely, I've been getting the urge.)

I need suggestions on what specifically to look for on a budget. I'm thinking something like an old B&J or a Calumet, but could use other ideas. I'd love a new finely finished wood field camera but it's just not in the cards right now. I am particularly enamored with the idea of using an older camera with an old convertible lens.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Oren Grad

I'm a big fan of the Eastman No. 2/2d and its predecessors - quick to set up, easy to use, not outrageously heavy for the format. But there are plenty of other affordable vintage cameras, and each has its fans.

If you haven't already checked out the Large Format Photography Forum and the LF Home Page you should - they're rich resources.

Good luck and enjoy!