The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How to properly pronounce Cambo?

R

rzuser

Hi,

I have a trivial question: what is the proper way of pronouncing Cambo? The wiki article claims that it's a contraction of Camera Bok. So I guess the question boils down to how camera and bok are pronounced in Dutch.

I assume camera is pronounced as "kahm", rather than the American "cam". Is this correct? As for the "Bok", is it a short "bohk" (like a chicken sound)? A long "boke" (rhyming with poke)? Or more like "Bach" (the composer)?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Rennie Rook from Cambo in the Netherlands pronounced it similar to Kahm-Bo if I recall correctly. No 'k's or long 'o's.

I think that you'll be understood however you say though. Now let's not get started on how to say Nikon - neekon, nycon, nick-on etc etc. :ROTFL:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Nikon is easy

ni ko n'
or ni-ko-n (swallow most on the n)
in katakana it is easier to explain
ニコン
ニ= ni
コ=ko
ン= unvoiced n
-bob

Michiel Schierbeek

As far as I know the company was established in 1948 by Mr Bok who thought Cam(era) and a piece of my name Bo. Pronounced Like Rambo with a K.

Michiel