The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

where to get copal shutters repaired?

EH21

Hi All,
I've been diving into LF work recently and have picked up several second hand lenses and cameras. One of the cameras came with several lenses in copal shutters one of which seems to not function at speeds slower than 1/125. I'm wondering where to send it for service? If there is anything local to San Francisco bay area that would be preferred. Any ideas? I'm fairly handy so if this is a common problem with an easy fix, maybe I can do it myself?

Thanks,
Eric

stephengilbert

SKGrimes list Copal shutters as being in stock. Copal Shutters « SKGrimes

They do good work. If you can't find something closer, you could call and ask them for a time estimate. I've waited pretty long for custom parts from them, but shutters might be a fast job.

If you're simply going to replace the shutter yourself, Grimes sells a lens wrench (spanner) as well.

Oren Grad

SK Grimes tends to be pricey, makes most sense for projects that involve custom fabrication where their specialized capabilities are really needed. Near LA, Flutot's is often recommended, though she's often backlogged. Steve's Camera Repair in Culver City can likely do Copals as well. Precision Camera Works near Chicago also comes to mind.

EH21

Thanks to all for the information.
I have used SK Grimes in the past and they've done high quality work and really considering that the prices were not too bad. But I recall it taking months to get things done. I will contact some of the suggestions and post back to the thread how it goes.

kzphoto

ICT camera fixed a Seiko 0 shutter and a Copal 0 for me a few years back. Manfried does great work.

ICT Camera

He prefers Compur shutters since they can be adjusted to tighter tolerances (his words, not mine) but he's fixed loads of my gear. ZM lens, compur shutter, rollei, etc.

richardman

SK Grimes just fixed my Copal 3 shutter for $130. Took ~2-3 weeks. It suffered ocean water damage and the B.T weren't working.