Site Sponsors
Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: More Fun with Large Format Film Images!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: More Fun with Large Format Film Images!

Oh that. The very light trees you see above the water are so far away that you can't see them in the reflection, so the lightest patch there is actually the reflection of the sky/fog that you see higher up between the trees, which is a defintely darker in the reflection. I didn't work on the contrast of that bright patch separately, I only changed the overall contrast of that area, so i can't possibly differ that much from the trees right next to it and those are definetely darker in the reflection.

Post Thanks / Like

I strong encourage more people to post on this thread so I don't feel like it's just me posting :-)

Elkhorn Slough, I walked all ~6 miles of trail with 20+ lbs bag. Well worth it....

Post Thanks / Like

MPP, 90mm 6.8 Angulon & FP4 HC110.
    I believe this was taken in the far NW of Scotland.....

Regards, Alan.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Tasu and Ivy's photo on the left was taken in Jan 2014 and in fact was the first photo taken for the project. I have taken "casual" photos of them then in March or so, but as the project evolves, I thought that a different pose would be better. Even though they live less than 20 miles away, finding the time to get together turns out to be difficult. Finally though, a couple days ago they showed up during the only day this week that isn't raining and I finally got the photo I want.

For the https://www.facebook.com/Transformat...splayPortraits project

Post Thanks / Like

what happened to the WB of the right picture?

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Hey, I have been using Vuescan for 10+ years, but since switching to color negs, I have been struggling with the color balance. Finally, I opened the Silverfast SE CD that comes with the Epson V700 and tried their "NegFix" with builtin profile for the Portra 160VC, and...

Not bad! It needs more tweaking but clearly much closer to the goal without any work than the Vuescan version!

Post Thanks / Like

Color negs?
    My slide is my pride:-)

Post Thanks / Like

Foveon, I have been mainly shooting B&W and Provia for over 10 years. For my new project with the 4x5, I'm feeling some limitations of slides, regarding dynamic range, so I am switching to color negs (Portra 160). With the SilverFast, now I feel comfortable switching to this process.

There is of course nothing like looking at a 4x5 or larger Provia/Velvia... (too young to start with Ektachrome :-) )

Post Thanks / Like

just kidding^^
    slides are just perfect to learn about light, you get exactly what you have done.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a new Chamonix 4x10 that I've been having tons of fun with lately. All images on Portra 160 (cut down from 8x10) processed in the Jobo CPP3.

More on the camera at my blog: Christopher Barrett - Photographer: Blog : New Old School Camera

Cheers,
    CB
    Likes 13 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

MPP, 203 Ektar, FP4 HC110...

Regards, Alan.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Cheyanne, 2007
    Sinar P, 210mm Heliar
    4x5 Kodak TMY, Pyrocat HD

Post Thanks / Like

Me: "OMG, you look great! Can I take your photo in my studio setup?" (we know this cannot be a pickup line as my wife was right next to me)

Helen: "Wait until tomorrow, I will be smokin' Hot."

I waited, and they were.

Post Thanks / Like

richardman, go back to slides^^

Post Thanks / Like

No way. Color correction is a matter of tweaking. There is a lot of things to be liked about C-41!

Post Thanks / Like

Shawn's photo is part of my https://www.facebook.com/Transformat...splayPortraits project. Shawn does a lot of charity work as his persona ObiShawn - in other word, this is his "casual"/normal clothing. He has built two (street worthy) Star Wars art cars. As his wife said, this is the car he drives to the supermarket when she asks him to buy grocery.

Post Thanks / Like

Jonnalyhn as Khirathae Zauviir, of House Do'Urden from AD&D. Part of the https://www.facebook.com/Transformat...splayPortraits project

and this is her in more regular clothing. Lets just say she is a costumer through and through

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JeRuFo View Post

Chamonix 045N-2, Nikkor-W 90 4.5, Fomapan 100, [email protected]
    Stunning image.... Very 3D

After trying to figuring out why, I think the bottom section of the front tree on the left really has a tonal gradience that creates the mood
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

FP4 HC110...

Regards, Alan.
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Stunning image.... Very 3D

After trying to figuring out why, I think the bottom section of the front tree on the left really has a tonal gradience that creates the mood
    Thank you, Harry.

Yes, that part probably helps a lot. For me that is the first focus point in the picture. That tree is quite isolated, so it's good that there is some interesting light on it.
    Not quite sure what created that light. The light was only slightly directional. Maybe an opening in the canopy. I visited the spot about a week ago and the light wasn't there without the leaves on the trees.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Chris, How do you find the Jobo processor with sheet film. I have been considering getting one but concerned it won't give me very even development in sky areas. Yours look fine are they as even as this out of the tank or have you applied post scan processing? I have dish processed 4x5 for many years without issues, but all the manual daylight tanks I have tried in the past have given very poor results.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Beards View Post
    Hi Chris, How do you find the Jobo processor with sheet film. I have been considering getting one but concerned it won't give me very even development in sky areas. Yours look fine are they as even as this out of the tank or have you applied post scan processing?
    Chris, I am not the person you are asking per se, but all my films (BW, C41, E6) are all processed using the Jobo. FOr 4x5, I use the 2509n reels.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Richard thanks for your reply I really like the images from your Transformations project.
    I work in monochrome with a view camera and much of my work includes large areas of even tone, sky/seascapes etc hence my interest in the work Chris posted above. Clearly these areas of even tone are very unforgiving of any processing issues, to avoid neg damage and even development I dish process FP-4 individually, a somewhat time consuming task when on has six or more sheet to deal with. When I have tried daylight tank systems in the past I have always had streaks and uneven edges caused by eddies generated from systems which use spiral or rack type film holders. As the Jobo appears to hold film flat in the larger tanks I was wondering if this system might be of interest to me.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had some problems with uneven development too, but didn't try it long enough to pin it on the processor for sure. I do use the jobo tank and 2509n reel still, but process by hand and don't use the processor anymore for b&w. Weirdly I've never had a problem like that with C41 or E6. It could have to do with the developer. I also find it easier to do it by hand instead of filling the whole processor and letting it get the temperature exactly right. I often just process a few sheets, so I don't want to spend half an hour setting everything up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Beards View Post
    Hi Richard thanks for your reply I really like the images from your Transformations project.
    I work in monochrome with a view camera and much of my work includes large areas of even tone, sky/seascapes etc hence my interest in the work Chris posted above. Clearly these areas of even tone are very unforgiving of any processing issues, ...
    Chris, thanks for the kind words. I don't know if the following helps, but these two have some sky. They have been post processed but hopefully you can see if there are evidence of uneven development or streaks. It's actually blue sky here in California today, so may be I will burn a couple sheets of B&W and see how they look. What aperture do you use? Large or small?

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your thoughts and efforts gents, Richard the two images you posted look fine to me on screen. One has to examine the negatives, as JeRuFo states it may be an issue with the type of developer. The main evidence I am describing is an area of increased density next to where the negative has been in contact with the spiral (or similar) edge, or where developer rushes through slots or gaps during the development process. The phenomena is only really a problem in open areas of tone as it would be lost in darker detailed areas. If you are interested it popping a sheet of film through the system that would be great, I use apertures f22/f32 on a 180 Symmar but I don't think this matters much as it is a development issue. Thanks again guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Winter is Coming!

Post Thanks / Like

MPP, 203mm Ektar, FP4 HC110.....

Regards, Alan.
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

FP4 HC110...

Regards, Alan.

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JeRuFo View Post

Chamonix 045N-2, Nikkor-W 90 4.5, Fomapan 100, [email protected]
    This image really speaks to me, nicely done.
    I had to send my brand new Ebony 4x5 back because of a manufacturing defect. I'm going to replace it with the Chamonix 045-n2. Keep up the inspiration!
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I've been hanging out in the analog camera forum and in the last month got a Crown Graphic and started to see what the fuss is about. These two are posted over there, but this thread needs to be kept going!

CrownGraphic, Schneider 127mm/f4.7, HP5+, Rodinal semistand, Hasselblad X1 scan:

CrownGraphic, Apo-Sironar S 210mm/f5.6, HP5+, Rodinal semistand, X1 scan:

This madness is quite addicting, so there is a Chamonix N2 in my future. In a couple of months the weather here will begin to improve so I hope I'll be able to get out and do something with it!

Chris
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Chris, nice set up! I love the stark contrast of winter when shooting black and white, but I understand your feelings towards Spring. We had 11 f below zero here last week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johnnygoesdigital View Post
    This image really speaks to me, nicely done.
    I had to send my brand new Ebony 4x5 back because of a manufacturing defect. I'm going to replace it with the Chamonix 045-n2. Keep up the inspiration!

Thanks Johnny. The Chamonix is a nice camera for the money. It is no match for an Ebony in terms of precision, but I've never had a problem with it, because it is such a small camera, you can easily fasten everything down. Even in heavy wind it is plenty stable. (I used it in winds so rough it blew my gg-protector off the side of the hill, never to be seen again)
    If I would get one in a bigger format I would like separate knobs for rise/fall and tilt and probably a better, more comfortable, way of controlling swing and shift. But overall I like it, it has been problem free, although my fresnel is touching my ground glass in one big spot in the middle and leaves newton rings.

Post Thanks / Like

Minus 15C today, and a vicious windchill. All the same, I went out with camera and tripod.

Crown Graphic, Schneider 127mm/f4.7 @f16 and 1/250, HP5+, Rodinal stand and X1 scan:

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

I have A LOT of 4x5 images, but I don't want to HOG the whole bleeping thread XD

Post Thanks / Like

Hog away, Richard! I've lots to learn and I'm enjoying the inspiration.

Crown Graphic, Apo-Sironar 210mm, HP5+, Rodinal, X1 scan:

Chris
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

"Azreal the Angel of Death and the Queen of the Damned"

I love doing this project also because the stories I hear, cosplay that: brought a couple together; made a sister bond stronger; brought awareness of her Asperberger to the cosplayer; and now brought tears to a loving mother's eyes when her son won in a masquerade contest for the most amazing wing work I have ever seen...

For the https://www.facebook.com/Transformat...splayPortraits project

Post Thanks / Like

Lindsay, the masquerade director said in response to my posting: "Watching her cry tears of joy as I handed her rosettes almost made me lose it myself."

Post Thanks / Like

"but I don't want to HOG the whole bleeping thread XD"
    That's OK, I'll suffer through your 4x5 posts.:>) Your large format color photos are an amazing record of an activity that I didn't know existed.

Steve
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Chamonix 045N-1 with Rodenstock Sironar-N 150/5.6 MC on Fujifilm Acros 100 4x5". Scanned with Epson V700 and standard film holder. The lab seems to have messed the neg up a bit on the right hand side. Not sure how to clean it up without making it worse?

Leica Monochrom, Olympus EM-5, Ricoh GR

Post Thanks / Like

That's a nice image. Love the light on the bridge and the shadows in the trees makes them look extra twisty and alive.

I think the problem is bigger than just on the right side of the negative. The whole top of the frame looks pretty cloudy from not fixing it correctly or possibly uneven development. The stain on the right looks almost like a streak or a drip mark. You could try and soak it in stop bath for a while and then re-washing to see if it is water residue. If that doesn't help I would try some time in the fixer and then washing it again. Both options should be harmless. If it is uneven development, then there is nothing you can do, I think.
    If you don't have the chemicals I would just ask the lab, they created the problem in the first place. Doesn't look very professional to develop a negative like this.

Post Thanks / Like

A new arrival today:

and the first selfie with it:

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Ah Chris what a beauty! The camera of course...
    I love the teak with gray metal, mine should be here soon. What lenses are you using?

Johnny

Post Thanks / Like

I have only two, a Linhof Schneider 127mm and an Apo-Sironar N 210mm. They should hold me while I figure out what I'm doing.

C.

Post Thanks / Like

The sironar N is a great lens, I'm not familiar with the 127mm. I'll be using the Fujinon 240 A and hopefully a 135/150mm Sironar and a 80mm XL.that should round out my hiking lenses. Enjoy your Chammy!

Post Thanks / Like

Chamonix 045N-2, Apo-Sironar N 210mm/f5.6, FP4+, HC-110 (Dil.G), X1 scan:

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Linhof SC std, 90mm f8, Super Angulon, FP4 HC110...

Mmmmm... messed the crop at the top up!
    Regards, Alan.

Post Thanks / Like

I managed to figure out how to cram the view camera, lenses, film holders, tripod, dark cloth, loupe, spotmeter, cable release and sanity pills into my Crumpler Sinking Barge and marched out. "I might be some time" I said to the cats, who shrugged their shoulders and serenely continued evincing supreme unconcern. On the other side of the village is an old wharf where schooners were once built, but the only thing launched there now is the odd kayak in the summer. It's mostly used for picnics and the important business of keeping mosquitos and blackflies well fed. It was -10șC and the wind was gusting around 70km/hr, so it was all rather bracing.

Across the French River:

Trevor's Place:

Both using the Rodenstock Apo-Sironar N 210mm/f5.6 @f16, FP4+, HC-110 (Dil.G) for one hour, and Hasselblad X1 scans.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Bayhead, Nova Scotia.
    -11șC, Chamonix 045N-2, Schneider Kreuznach 127mm/f4.7 @f11, 1/60, Ilford FP4+ @125, Diafine, Hasselblad X1 scan:

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Mesquite Flat Dunes, Death Valley, CA

Ebony SV45-U2, T-Max 100, Extol 1-1
    Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post