The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More Fun with Large Format Film Images!

Lloyd

Lloyd one of the amazing things about the system in regards to the 50% resolution scans is the file size is the rough equivalent of our Nikon D3's give or take a handful of pixels. Suffice it to say I have never seen this sort of image quality on a 12 mp camera. The detail of the sunset image was with a Rodenstock Sironar S 135 APO lens @ F11, ISO 600+ @ 50% for about 2.5 minute scan. I was sweating bullets that nothing moved during the scan. :eek:

Rob
Interesting. I wondered hold large the files were. (I'll bet you were sweating that. :)) Do you happen to have an shots of your camera setup?

routlaw

Interesting. I wondered hold large the files were. (I'll bet you were sweating that. :)) Do you happen to have an shots of your camera setup?
Unfortunately I don't have any photos of the setup, but will do this at some point if for no other reason to prove what a glutton for punishment we (or at least me) can be with gear. :deadhorse: :ROTFL:

Lloyd

Unfortunately I don't have any photos of the setup, but will do this at some point if for no other reason to prove what a glutton for punishment we (or at least me) can be with gear. :deadhorse: :ROTFL:
You can speak freely, you're among friends here at GearSluts Anonymous. :eek:

s.agar

Rob,

How long does it take for a full resolution scan typically? Not asking for the time for preparations of course..:D

I wonder what happens if you take a sunset photo for example.

Lloyd one of the amazing things about the system in regards to the 50% resolution scans is the file size is the rough equivalent of our Nikon D3's give or take a handful of pixels. Suffice it to say I have never seen this sort of image quality on a 12 mp camera. The detail of the sunset image was with a Rodenstock Sironar S 135 APO lens @ F11, ISO 600+ @ 50% for about 2.5 minute scan. I was sweating bullets that nothing moved during the scan. :eek:

Rob

routlaw

Rob,

How long does it take for a full resolution scan typically? Not asking for the time for preparations of course..:D

I wonder what happens if you take a sunset photo for example.
Much like any other camera it all depends upon how much light is on the scene, but at base ISO of 200 most scans were between half a minute to a minute and a half. Add a polarizer to the scene and either ISO goes up or scan times get longer. The late afternoon and evening images I had to reduce resolution down to 50% with ISO's of 600-1400 and still the scan times were some 2 to 2.5 minutes long.

That last image, the long horizontal was at sunset with very very dim light in the canyon. At the time I felt I was really pushing the envelop with this one, but the final results were tack sharp detail from corner to corner and excellent separation of values and hues. This really does not come across well in web images.

Hope this helps.

Rob

s.agar

Rob,
Even with the web images, (together with the 100% crops), one can that the photos are not only sharp, but also outstanding.

bensonga

Echoing Lloyd's and Francois' compliments here Jim....that is a truly outstanding image. The reflections, clouds, lines....it all works so well. Have you printed this one yet?

I had just been looking thru the Sept/Oct issue of View Camera magazine at photographs by Steve Rosenthal of New England churches and his new book of the same called "White on White", when I thought to check the large format threads here.

Again...nicely done Jim!

Gary

bensonga

Doesn't look like I've posted this image on this thread....which is surprising, since to this day I think it is probably the best large format image I've ever made.....and it was one of my first. It's all been downhill since then I guess....despite spending many more $$ on equipment. :confused:

I took this photo with my first view camera....a Graphic View II and and old Zeiss Tessar lens (which I subsequently sold and wish I still owned). Maybe it's that lens which gives this image a "glow" which I've never been able to achieve since. Or it could be all the stainless steel and natural light. Hard to say.

This diner on the edge of downtown Minneapolis was demolished as part of an urban renewal project a couple months after I took this photo. I used to stop here regularly in the early 1980s during one summer on my way to work in the morning....I walked past here and would stop for a cup of coffee or breakfast.

I've made several inkjet prints (up to 13x19) of this image over the years and it never fails to please me. One of these prints was selected for the annual Alaska Rarefied Light Juried Photography Exhibit a few years ago.

Now if I could just make a few more images like this before I put the cameras away for good......

Gary

Last edited:

Lloyd

Doesn't look like I've posted this image on this thread....which is surprising, since to this day I think it is probably the best large format image I've ever made.....and it was one of my first. It's all been downhill since then I guess....despite spending many more $$ on equipment. :confused:

I took this photo with my first view camera....a Graphic View II and and old Zeiss Tessar lens (which I subsequently sold and wish I still owned). Maybe it's that lens which gives this image a "glow" which I've never been able to achieve since. Or it could be all the stainless steel and natural light. Hard to say.

This diner on the edge of downtown Minneapolis was demolished as part of an urban renewal project a couple months after I took this photo. I used to stop here regularly in the early 1980s during one summer on my way to work in the morning....I walked past here and would stop for a cup of coffee or breakfast.

I've made several inkjet prints (up to 13x19) of this image over the years and it never fails to please me. One of these prints was selected for the annual Alaska Rarefied Light Juried Photography Exhibit a few years ago.

Now if I could just make a few more images like this before I put the cameras away for good......

Gary
That really is a wonderful image, Gary. The subject is fascinating, and the tonality of the b/w is simply superb.

bensonga

One more from the archives (I really need to get out and take some new images).

Minneapolis, Minnesota in the mid-80s. Nicollet Mall, Orchestra Hall Plaza (the steel tube scuptures) and the tall glass tower is the IDS Building (where I worked on the 40th floor).

Taken with my second view camera (a Cambo 4x5) and a Rodenstock Sironar 150mm lens.

I think I might have applied a bit too much correction for perspective control to this one.....top of the buildings seem a little too wide. What do you think?

Gary

Lloyd

One more from the archives (I really need to get out and take some new images).

Minneapolis, Minnesota in the mid-80s. Nicollet Mall, Orchestra Hall Plaza (the steel tube scuptures) and the tall glass tower is the IDS Building (where I worked on the 40th floor).

Taken with my second view camera (a Cambo 4x5) and a Rodenstock Sironar 150mm lens.

I think I might have applied a bit too much correction for perspective control to this one.....top of the buildings seem a little too wide. What do you think?

Gary
Lovely shot, but I agree about the PC. It's subtle, but visible, especially when called to your attention.

bensonga

Yes, I was afraid that was so....maybe I can adjust this in Photoshop now.....ahhh, the wonders of digital image processing. :)

I think the eye can more easily accept converging lines in tall buildings than even a little hint of diverging lines.

Gary

JimCollum

I like this one! A piece of Americana... would be a great start to a series/project

Gary