The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More Fun with Large Format Film Images!

GregMO

I decided to jump into LF film and picked up a used/ inexpensive, Horseman 4x5 in September. This was my 1st shot with it. An image of the Capitol before sunrise. Taken with Fuji Acros 100 and Schneider Apo-Symmar 210mm.

Last edited:

AlanS

Another one. I think this was 90mm 6.8 Angulon (not super). The camera would be a M.P.P. technical. Film and developer FP4 and HC110 as always.
Alan

dizzyg44

a fujiroid from today hanging out with the family at the park....

fp-100c

the sk 150 symmar flares quite a bit....

My young'uns on some agfa apx100

The agfa version of the first shot

AlanS

Pramote, Thanks very much. I shot these a while ago now (80s) and have never had a audience for them before now. It is a positive side of the internet that you can show to your peers work that would otherwise be confined to negative sleeves or the odd print around the house. I actively shoot still (digital) but the pull of large format is still there and am weakening by the week. On a side note it is interesting to see that my view of the world has not moved on by any large degree, not sure if that is good or bad?
Alan.

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Pramote, Thanks very much. I shot these a while ago now (80s) and have never had a audience for them before now. It is a positive side of the internet that you can show to your peers work that would otherwise be confined to negative sleeves or the odd print around the house. I actively shoot still (digital) but the pull of large format is still there and am weakening by the week. On a side note it is interesting to see that my view of the world has not moved on by any large degree, not sure if that is good or bad?
Alan.
Thank you FYI! They are absolutely timeless. Pramote

AlanS

Same set up as above. This was the first image that met my vision, albeit a slightly flawed execution. I saw the left hand rock from the top of the banking, the quartz lines caught my eye along with the far bank and mid stream rock. The foreground is under tree cover and the light was fading, I metered using my trusty Weston 3 (I know, but it was all I could afford) but hardly got a glimmer, ended up metering off the white sheet of my notebook and calculating back. Could hardly see to focus (what's a flash light?) and with an exposure of 4 1/2 mins. at f16 decided not to stop down any more:facesmack: Anyway you will note that the top of the left hand rock is not quite sharp and the neg is very thin in the foreground (probably needed 20 mins at f22). It does look nice at 8x10 or A4 though and I still smile when I look at the print in my front room.
Alan

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Same set up as above. This was the first image that met my vision, albeit a slightly flawed execution. I saw the left hand rock from the top of the banking, the quartz lines caught my eye along with the far bank and mid stream rock. The foreground is under tree cover and the light was fading, I metered using my trusty Weston 3 (I know, but it was all I could afford) but hardly got a glimmer, ended up metering off the white sheet of my notebook and calculating back. Could hardly see to focus (what's a flash light?) and with an exposure of 4 1/2 mins. at f16 decided not to stop down any more:facesmack: Anyway you will note that the top of the left hand rock is not quite sharp and the neg is very thin in the foreground (probably needed 20 mins at f22). It does look nice at 8x10 or A4 though and I still smile when I look at the print in my front room.
Alan
Love this shot! Get yourself a good spotmeter, meter per the Zone system and learn to trust in it -- and of course know your film's reciprocity errors! In the end, you will quickly save the cost of the meter in film alone, let alone ending the frustrations ;)

AlanS

Thanks very much Jack. The spot meter came about a year later (1983 I think) and after a bit of arm wrestling I got my head around the zone system! The problem with that shot was the fact that the light was fading fast and did not dare stop down any more. When I look back at my old negs. looking through a modern eye (100% on screen digital files) I see all sorts of minor errors, not that it spoils a print. It's the scanning that's the PITA but worth it to see the end result. Alan.

viablex1

Hey Cindy thanks, I just did a historical photo book for the owners it is of the campus prior to 1941 when NAPS took it over. This was the only glass negative the guy had the others in the book were contact prints done by him from glass negatives.

i couldn't believe I was holding the thing