The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More Fun with Large Format Film Images!

JimCollum

Was obsessed with Pebble Beach and the abstracts there for about a year.. any time there was a low tide at dawn, I was there.

At the beginning of that time, a whale had beached itself on the beach. There's no way of hauling it out, so there it stayed.. slowly being absorbed by the water, pebbles and fauna. The waves had washed the pebbles from the beach throughout the surface of the whale.

About 5 months or so into it, I decided to take a closer look at the whale. I set up the 4x5, Betterlight and computer and took a few shots. This one is from the topside.. skin curling off of the underlying tissue. The camera was probably 2 feet from the whale. (took a week before i was no longer smelling it everywhere).

What's interesting about this shot.. I had a show in San Jose.. had this , and a few others from the shoot printed at 40x50". They were titled 'Untitled'

People would be fascinated by the textures and detail in the image.. they'd be standing at the print.. almost nose to surface.

It was usually then that I'd mention what it was. Almost universally, people would jump back to almost 6 - 10 feet away, and look at it.. I should have had a video camera recording reactions :)

AlanS

Thanks Mike, much appreciated. Yes black and white really gets to the core of this type of scene. The attached pic is of Lynch Clough in Derbyshire UK, it was made famous by John Blakemore who did a series on it. It was he who turned me on to this type of photography around 1979/80 when I saw his shot of a waterfall at Afon Gamlan, there was no turning back after that:thumbs:

viablex1

hey man thanks and thanks for the lighting tip

trying vuesan out its okay, man color negatives are a damned nightmare to get the color right but slides seem pretty easy

Lloyd

Your welcome. Hope it helped.

I hear you about scanning color negs. My experience as well. Slides are much more straight forward.

viablex1

yes thats weird its the exact opposite with medium format and 35mm oh well

it did and I am sure I will have more questions

matto

Mr.Gale

Fly Ranch Geyser is located in the Black Rock Desert in northern Nevada. The geyser was accidentally started by a drilling crew back in the 1920's, it runs 24/7 (AFAIK), the mounds are mineral deposits that have built up over the years. When I took this photo I could feel the heat and hear the roar of the geyser. It was late sunset with the moon raising (upper left).