The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More Fun with Large Format Film Images!

Professional

I will post here later when i will have time to use my LF, but i want to know which lenses are recommended for say: Landscapes at wide side, indoors architecture and outdoor architecture and cityscape?

Professional

Thanks for the answer, it will help for sure!

I have Rodenstock 150mm as a kit lens, and i ordered Schneider 72XL but this will take about 6-8 weeks to be shipped to me, i am waiting, 90mm is my next in list.

thrice

Rollei ATO2.1
Zeiss 135/3.5 planar. Sadly slightly back-focused thanks to my focus/recompose technique. I've adjusted the rangefinder to slightly front focus before recomposing so hopefully better focused shots in my future :p

AlanS

Hi Pramote, Thanks once again for the kind words. I wasn't sure if people where getting bored with them, so I will carry on. On an aside, I have been trying to get the B&W "look" converting my digital files and I am making progress, I think, but film does have a certain look which is most appealing on this type of subject. I will post my latest attempt in the "fun with nikon thread" shortly and any comments would be most welcome.

Professional

finally i bought SA 72mm XL f/5.6, just received it yesterday, i placed the order about 3 weeks ago, and they told me it will take around 6-8 weeks to be in stock and shipped, to my surprise it turned out to be in stock within 1 week and then shipped immediately, and took about another 1 week to show off in my country, and as i said, yesterday i got that gem/beauty.

I hope i can use it a lot and shoot more with it, don't know which next lens to get [i have only 3 lenses, 2 new and one old used].

Nice images on this thread, i can't wait to add something in the future i hope.

AlanS

Hi Tareq, Look forward to seeing your contribution to the thread. I wouldn't get too hung up on lens selection, I found a wide angle (90mm) and standard-ish (180/203mm) did all I required. Anyway here's another, 90mm FP4, HC 110.

thrice

Alan great contrast and composition with the reflections in that last one.

I finally got around to trying some wet scanning today. Since I cannot get the scanning fluids in Aus I used Glycerin. It's a good consistency and easy to clean up. A bit of a pain with the bubbles though.

Left the film heading in the image since I like the way it artifically frames the scene, hope that doesn't offend anyone.

AlanS

Daniel, Thanks for the kind words.
Do you mind me asking which scanner and film holder you are using? I am having a tough time getting my scans sharp due to the film holder (Epson 4870 + std. holder). It looks like yours is nice and sharp and holding the contrast as you would expect from slide film. Your last 2 posts are excellent, I especially like the portrait, wonderful "look" and tones.

Professional

Hi Tareq, Look forward to seeing your contribution to the thread. I wouldn't get too hung up on lens selection, I found a wide angle (90mm) and standard-ish (180/203mm) did all I required. Anyway here's another, 90mm FP4, HC 110.
Thanks Alan, very nice shot you posted, love the contrast and tones.

Well, in fact i was circling between 90mm and 72[or ultra wide equivalent such as 65/75...] to get, but i found that lens new on one site cheaper than another big names sites, say $2000 which is cheaper about $100-200, that was no brainier, sure i put 90mm as a must to get lens, that may be next one or something longer such as 180/210/240...

I ordered a lens board as i forgot that the lens doesn't come with one, i have only 1 lens board of Copal 0 to use with Rody 150mm and didn't want to take it out of it, but i ordered also a Recessed lens board as this may not allow room on my 4x5, in all cases i can wait until using it.

Now i am confused about which film i should test or use this lens with, B&W or Color and which?!!! :D

thrice

Hi Alan, I'm using and Epson V700 and the better scanning holders. That said, only the most recent shot is with the better scanning holder, everything else is the stock standard epson holder. I also just use the Epsonscan software.