The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More Fun with Large Format Film Images!

Professional

Tareq, where did you get a cheap 72XL? Did you also get the centre filter?
I bought that lens New from mpex.com, it is out of stock, they told me it will take about 6-8 weeks to be in stock after i order it, but i was very lucky that they took almost 1 week to be in stock and shipped it immediately, and no center filter yet, i will order this sooner or later.

I am planning to buy SA 90mm XL from them too, they give very good reasonable price cheaper than others brand New, but that one is not listed on their site, funny they listed 72mm and not 90mm.

I also use Epson V750, i have betterscanning but i still using the default one from Epson, i want to go Wet mounting route with the scanner, and i agree, i only use EpsonScan software even i have VueScan and SilverFast.

AlanS

Daniel, Tareq, Thanks for the info. I wonder if the newer holders on the V750 are better at holding the negs flat? Unfortunately all my negs have taken on a curl over the years and do not lie flat. I may try one of the better scan holders with my 4870 or possibly look to get a V750. I also use the Epson software and find it fine.

Professional

Daniel, Tareq, Thanks for the info. I wonder if the newer holders on the V750 are better at holding the negs flat? Unfortunately all my negs have taken on a curl over the years and do not lie flat. I may try one of the better scan holders with my 4870 or possibly look to get a V750. I also use the Epson software and find it fine.
As you said, that depends on how to keep your film flat and the distance placed on your scanner, i am not expert in scanners, but i manage to have my film flat, i am talking about 120 rolls, about 4x5 sheets they are almost very flat even if you want them to curl, but i recommend to go with betterscanning holder, they designed it to keep the film flat to scanner plane for better results, give it a try.

nikonf

Very nice composition and scan.
Which lens/aperture is this?
I want to get a 4x5 film scanner with dust control software.
Haven't looked at them in years. Which would you recommend?
I had a Microtek with no dust control software. It had a great Kodak CCD.
I want to start scanning my 4x5s from 1979 thru current.
Take care,
Mike
Alan great contrast and composition with the reflections in that last one.

I finally got around to trying some wet scanning today. Since I cannot get the scanning fluids in Aus I used Glycerin. It's a good consistency and easy to clean up. A bit of a pain with the bubbles though.

Left the film heading in the image since I like the way it artifically frames the scene, hope that doesn't offend anyone.

AlanS

Hi Mike, thanks for the comment. All my 4x5 (5x4) shots where done with FP4 and HC110. These are from a few years ago... 80s & early 90s. I have gotten the bug after scanning a few and decided to let them see the light of day! (there are quite a few to get through, so we may be some time).

nikonf

Hi Alan,
What kind of scanner are you using? Does it have ICE or some kind of dust control? I need recommendations.
Thanks,
Mike
Hi Mike, thanks for the comment. All my 4x5 (5x4) shots where done with FP4 and HC110. These are from a few years ago... 80s & early 90s. I have gotten the bug after scanning a few and decided to let them see the light of day! (there are quite a few to get through, so we may be some time).

250swb

Fog and frost at 'Robin Hood's Stride' in the Peak District National Park.

Made with a Shen Hao 4x5 and 90mm Super Angulon, with FP4 developed in Obsidian Aqua, scanned on Epson V700.

Steve

Professional

Fog and frost at 'Robin Hood's Stride' in the Peak District National Park.

Made with a Shen Hao 4x5 and 90mm Super Angulon, with FP4 developed in Obsidian Aqua, scanned on Epson V700.

Steve
This is a terrific shot, love it!

Did you use any movements here? and which Shen Hao 4x5 model is this? Any filters used?

250swb

Thank you.

It is the Shen Hao TZ45 IIA. No movements were used because the light was changing so fast while I was setting up, and there wasn't anything in the picture that screamed 'converging verticals', so I just made sure I got an exposure. I used an orange filter to add some contrast to the foggy background, but I didn't want to spoil the diffused light, so it was a risk but it worked OK I think.

Steve

Professional

Thank you.

It is the Shen Hao TZ45 IIA. No movements were used because the light was changing so fast while I was setting up, and there wasn't anything in the picture that screamed 'converging verticals', so I just made sure I got an exposure. I used an orange filter to add some contrast to the foggy background, but I didn't want to spoil the diffused light, so it was a risk but it worked OK I think.

Steve
Thank you very much, Steve, for the details, again great work! :thumbup:

AlanS

What kind of scanner are you using? Does it have ICE or some kind of dust control? I need recommendations.
Thanks,
Hi Mike, No magic bullet I'm afraid, just an old Epson 4870 with standard holders and epson software. Results are variable for sharpness but at this resolution (screen) it's not much of a problem. Some come out quite good and will stand an A3 print. As for ICE, not sure but I thought it didn't work on B&W negs? Anyway I don't use it and use PS content aware fill to spot the scans as required.

downstairs

This is 8x10 Retro-Tonal in Rodinal (35 minutes stand) done with a Gandofi & 240 Sironar.
A Monochrom version is in the Leica thread. Scanned 8x10 is smoother but not sharper.
I set (Epson V750) the minimum dust removal for tiny specks and do the larger ones by hand.