The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More Fun with Large Format Film Images!

Sal Santamaura

Christopher, would you be so kind as to provide technical details? Fomapan 100, 200 or 400? Developed in what for how long using which method (tray, tank, orbital, Jobo, etc.)? Scanned from the negative or a print? If a print, printed on what paper? Thanks in advance.

Had trouble loosing links to images on picasaweb when opting-in then out of google+ ( -out because they started face- and geo- tagging my friends). Thing seem to be back to normal for new links now, so here goes with an 8x10 Fomapan in a Shen with a vintage Goerz.

richardman

Noel "Random Nerdom" cosplays as Rorschach. QUOTES: "There is something I like about masks. You cannot see the emotions on the face. Everything has to be conveyed with voice and body language. Something ominous about comic book characters in general wearing masks."

"The kind of cosplay I like to do are in the spectrum of anti-heroes - they are out to do good, but the ways they do it is not the best... a kind of chaotic good."

For the https://www.facebook.com/Transformations.CosplayPortraits project

IBICO

4x5 taken in Gothenburg with my Chamonix F1, Schneider HM 120mm, Kodak TXP320 in Xtol 1:1

Last edited:

richardman

Kristopher, sometimes goes by Samurai Rocker, has been costuming since 2004. His 6'6 stature makes him a stand out even without his costumes. Some of his favorites costumes are Afro Samurai, Predator and Sephiroth. He's an actor, a stunt man specializing in stage combat, and he also does children's parties on weekend as Darth Vader and such. Krist knows a variety of martial arts, including: Shaolin Kung Fu, fencing, kendo etc.

re: his Afro: "I mainly wear it for costuming. I have a lot of hair, and when I want to cosplay, I just let it flow."

On being an African American cosplayer: "I don't get any negative comment probably because I am a big person. No one throws insults at me, but I do have people asking why I cosplay certain characters. If you like a character, it doesn't matter what race or body type you are, cosplay it."

For the https://www.facebook.com/Transformations.CosplayPortraits project.

richardman

I bought a pack of Super-XX from eBay... Yes, Super-XX, "Must Be Developed Before Feb 1951" Well, so we are 63 years too late. I am sure it will work *grin*

Put the package inside the changing tent with a film holder. My mental conversation (I hope it's mental anyway, and not me narrating what's happening at real time) went like this:
"What is this? It feels like Pack Film! Ooops. OK, no big deal, I could just open the metal frames like this, and hmm... where are the sheets?" Eventually found them, ripped one off the protective sheet and tried to push it in the film holder, guessing which side is the emulsion by feel and... it wouldn't go in.

Touched and touched and it felt a bit wider and quite a bit longer than 4x5 negs. In went the pair of scissors and I did the best I could to cut 2 sheets totally by feel. At this point, I was sure that this is an entirely waste of a grand total of $8 (+ shipping).

Put the remaining sheets in a film box and took everything out of the tent and realized that I have ruined about 6 sheets due to not able to see which are what, and what is where. Double oops.

Took two test shots, using exposure assuming ISO 50 (Super-XX was a high speed film at ISO125 thereabout, but 63 years in a box probably lower its sensitivity so I figured ISO50 is probably good). F5.6@1/8 second, 120 APO Symmar with the Chamonix Saber on a tripod.

Managed to somehow wrangle them into the Jobo reel, even though the hand cut sheets are neither the correct size nor even cut straight. Xtol 12 mins in the Jobo with a pre-wash. Quick water stop, 30 secs in fix then took a quick look and I was REALLY SURPRISED to see images on both sheets! Put it back on the Jobo and finished it with proper fixing length, hypo clear, water rinse, and photo flo. After they dried, scanned and post processed and realized that one sheet has the emulsion facing the wrong way so the exposure was about -2 stops! Tripe oops. The other one the exposure is actually about + 1/2 stop.

So yes, these are post processed and therefore enhanced, but for a 63 year emulsion, it's not bad at all!!

richardman

First image with the FP100C and the Chamonix 4x5. I bleached the negative and scanned that instead of the positive. I think the chemical was not thoroughly dry :-/ hence the defects, but the defects add charm, at least that's my story.

GregMO

2 images:
Department of Justice door with 5x7, FP4, 150mm lens.
Japanese Maples Trees with 617, Ektar, 90mm lens.
Thanks for looking.

Lightcraftsman

Fuji Astia 4x5. I made two proof prints of this, one B&W and one color. Liked the B&W better on the bottom half and color better on the top half so created a layer mask and faded the B&W into the color.

richardman

The legendary Harvey 777 developer, 100 years old 8 1/2" Taylor Taylor & Hobson Series IV Cooke, on a most decidedly modern emulsion, Acros-100

Leigh

lens is a 120 Angulon from 1923, which theoretical doesnt cover 5X7
I presume the pic is a 5x7, although you didn't say so.

The lens is definitely not up to the format, as seen in the darkened corners.

With most manufacturers, coverage is defined as the area that meets the quality specs for the lens, which is usually smaller than the circle of illumination.

- Leigh