The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More Fun with Large Format Film Images!

Leigh

I know, but this little vignetting isnt a problem for me.
That's just a matter of personal preference.

Your earlier statement appeared to claim that the lens actually does cover 5x7, which is not the case.

I'm just trying to clarify the coverage claim for the benefit of future readers. I think it's important that they understand the difference between published specifications and personal opinion.

- Leigh

foveon

here is a 12x16 (30x40cm) without vignetting, so you see I understand what lens to use to cover the format. In this case its a Symmar 360/5,6 with an image circle of 20 inch or 50cm.^^

johnnygoesdigital

I presume the pic is a 5x7, although you didn't say so.

The lens is definitely not up to the format, as seen in the darkened corners.

With most manufacturers, coverage is defined as the area that meets the quality specs for the lens, which is usually smaller than the circle of illumination.

- Leigh
While the quality of an almost 100 year old lens may be subjective because of the issues related to performance, such as fungus, cleaning marks, material used in elements, etc. So, perhaps just appreciate the photo for what it is. The vignetting is easily cropped, but also works as part of the composition. It draws the viewer in and frames the subject nicely.

richardman

Me: SMILE!
SWMBO: Just take the damn picture already! I have been standing here for 3 minutes - AGAIN.
Me: Smile?
SWMBO: How about DISDAIN. I can do DISDAIN.

richardman

Film is not dead!

Yesterday my daughter and I went to the California coast again - we do that once or twice a year, a time for us to "connect with nature." While I was taking the Chamonix F1 out of the trunk, I saw a few people going to their car, one carrying a 4x5 on a tripod, so I chat with them for a bit.

Turned out that they are members of the Stanford 4x5 camera club. They had about 10 members taking photos that day. In fact, they have at least 2 Chamonix F1 in the mix. They were very excited to see another person using 4x5, as was I. I gave them my card.

richardman

Circle of Life Thing:

Saw two dead deer, and a dead seal on the way to the beach and on the beach this last weekend. I suspect someone removed the head for "decoration."

foveon

beside other things I like the metering, what kind of meter do you use?
I allways meter with a Pentax spotmeter on the different parts.

richardman

beside other things I like the metering, what kind of meter do you use?
I allways meter with a Pentax spotmeter on the different parts.
Hi, assuming this question is for me: I have a spot meter but for photos like these, I just use an incident meter next to the person. I take multiple reading around her to make sure that the light level ratio are what I expect. I use Provia 100 @100 and I do scan, so I can compensate some minor exposure issue if I need to at post, but most of the time, it's pretty much dead on.

LargeSense

Vanessa with tilt and swing

I forgot what lens I used but it might have been a soft focus lens, which doesn't seem soft at all to me. And I had fill light from an Einstein flash camera left. Using tilt and swing. The lens couldn't cover the whole sensor with this much movement.

And the camera has no IR blocking filter, so there is an infra red effect going on, which makes her top a bit more transparent then usual.

Model: Vanessa A Leigh
Camera: LargeSense LS911 Pre Production Camera
Large format digital camera (single shot sensor, size bigger than 8x10 inch)
Photo Taken: August 14, 2014 Los Gatos, CA, USA
Copyright LargeSense LLC
All rights reserved

Bill

Last edited: