The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More Fun with Large Format Film Images!

chrism

I think I shall order up some grade 2 paper instead of multigrade and see if that helps. Then come the yellow filters!

Chris

chrism

Chamonix 10x8, Nikkor 300mm/f9, Ilford MG RC paper, Ilford MG developer, Epson 4870 scan.

The camera responsible:

Chris

Last edited:

chrism

Still experimenting. Current batch of paper is ISO 6, so I need more lights! Back to HP5+ which I can rate at 640 if developed in Diafine.

Chris

richardman

So I am starting another 4x5 portrait project called "The Worldbuilders of Science Fiction and Fantasy." For the inaugural image, I photographed Wanda, who is a friend, but also notably written one of the well known episodes of the 2nd season of the Star Trek: Next Generation. The kicker is that it was the first script she had ever written, but more on that later.

Anyway, after finishing photographing, I was about to do our audio interview and the subject of Leonard Nimoy came up. Wanda said that while they had never met, Leonard Nimoy was her mentor and inspiration. Then she said that actually there was a famous photo of Nimoy standing in front of his car. She said she wouldn't presume to copy Mr. Nimoy but asked if we could take a snapshot with a digital camera.

I thought about it (sadly mainly about the price of film, at $4 a sheet, it IS expensive) and said, "lets go ahead and take out the 4x5 again." I looked at the image on the web (*) and said, "I know exactly where there is a power substation in town." It is only 10 minutes away and here's the image:

Enjoy. More on Wanda later.

(*) Here's a link to the Nimoy photo (search for "Spock Fairlane") : <https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/7f/23/29/7f23299da50ad288e5d6f439f39cdd46.jpg>

chrism

This might be of interest (or not, as the case may be). I took the same photo twice using Ilford MG RC paper, and Ilford MG Developer. Both were scanned on the same scanner with the same settings, and both were exported from Lightroom with the same development exactly. The first has no filter, and the second has an orange Lee Filters Daylight to Tungsten full CTO in front of the only light used, and another Lee Daylight to Tungsten full CTO in front of the camera lens as well. Exposure was measured on a neutral grey card for the unfiltered photo, with an extra half stop for the second photo as that's what my spotmeter said was required when I checked the grey card through the filter.

In order to make sense of it, you should know that the beetle is orange, and the Spectrum Pursuit Vehicle is metallic pale blue (oh, I bet a lot of you knew that already!) I thought the orange filter would make the contrast less given the orthochromatic paper used, and that the orange beetle would be lighter. Perhaps I screwed up somewhere in the exposures, but as things stand, I prefer the photograph without the orange filter (which gives me a half stop less exposure time - hurray!) At present, it looks like the orange filter has increased contrast, rather than reduced it. Perhaps this paper isn't truly orthochromatic?

Chris

chrism

Chamonix 045N-2, Schneider 127mm/f4.7, Ilford FP4+, Diafine, Epson 4870 scans:

And very cold it was, too.

Chris

Y Sol

Last weekend I found again some old Polaroid 665 studio shots. I ”scanned” them with a Nikon Df and 60mm lens. I really miss the 665 and 55 films :mad:

chrism

Still have ice in the river, but the channel is open:

10x8 paper negative, Nikkor-M 450mm/f9.

Chris

chrism

The ice has finally gone, but there was a stormy sky coming across the bay today.

Chamonix 10x8, Nikkor-M 450mm/f9, Ilford MG RC paper, Ilford MG developer, Epson 4870 scan.

Chris

richardman

"The Black Queen"

My jaw kind of dropped when I saw this. The last set of photos I took for my Transformations:Cosplay project at Costume Con 33