The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Linhof Technika?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
A friend of mine considers selling his father's camera collection since it's mostly collecting dust after his father passed away a couple of years ago. While I really, really don't need another camera, I know that I will sooner or later try large format, and there's a Linhof Master Technika with a Technika Symmar 150mm f/5.6 plus a Universal Viewfinder available if I want it (and can afford it). It looks like a fun camera to use, but the questions are:

- It it difficult to use?
- What are the limitations?
- What would be a sensible price?

Are there anybody here who are using or have used one of these?

GregMO

I haven't used a Linhof so I can't comment on its specific usage. If the sale price is in range with typical Linhof pricing, you might want to look elsewhere. You can get into a 4x5 setup for a few hundred dollars.

You mention that you will most likely try LF anyways, but better to test it out first before investing too much. If you enjoy the photographic process, LF is alot of fun and I'm sure you will like it. After seeing your 1st LF negative, it's tough to go back... I didn't.

With a clear understanding of photographic principles, LF is very easy to learn. The steps are done in a much slower time frame and is more of a thinking process. Also the volume of images is dramatically reduced compared to MF.

Limitations- possibly more weight to carry, need a tripod, wind can be a big factor (I always take an umbrella to help block wind), longer exposure times. Like all cameras, it is a tool..for some subject matter it's the best tool for the job & for others it won't be.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/

SergeiR

A friend of mine considers selling his father's camera collection since it's mostly collecting dust after his father passed away a couple of years ago. While I really, really don't need another camera, I know that I will sooner or later try large format, and there's a Linhof Master Technika with a Technika Symmar 150mm f/5.6 plus a Universal Viewfinder available if I want it (and can afford it). It looks like a fun camera to use, but the questions are:

- It it difficult to use?
- What are the limitations?
- What would be a sensible price?

Are there anybody here who are using or have used one of these?
- no
- like all field cameras - movements are more restricted than monorail . Also widest lens you can use is 65mm. Longest - i think 400mm Tele- design still ok . Non tele - less. Boards widely available.
- depending on state - from 1.5k onwards for MT.. a bit more if its super MT (one with range finder). You can monitor ebay.

these things built like rock. Technikas are Leicas of Large Format - precision and sturdiness. My Tech V went on bottom of the lake for few hours. I managed to fish it out , dried.. reoiled - works like a charm (although i am more using Chamonix due weight now).

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thank you both. I'm afraid this looks like a tempting camera. Unfortunately, my research has also (mis)lead me to look at the Technikardan as a possible future upgrade. If I go ahead with this, I foresee a bleak future for my wallet. As if it wasn't bad enough already.

Oh well... food is overrated, isn't it, and I could need to lose a few kilograms :)

Shashin

While I really, really don't need another camera...
Like that is an excuse around here?

The camera is really nice. Could be one of the finest you can get. Flatbeds are my favorite type of view camera, more limited than a monorail, but easier to pack and I have never felt the movements were not enough. The Symmar is probably uncoated--the images will be flat, but good resolution. I would get modern multi-coated lenses for the camera.

250swb

I think a flatbed is one of the best types you could get as a first LF camera, the only big limitation would be if you had your heart set on architectural photography that required large movements. Other than that the Linhof can be used for almost anything, is tough, easy to set up, a great go anywhere camera.

But, you can get a flatbed or field camera for less than the cost of a Linhof. They may not be as well made but much cheaper, say with a Toyo flatbed, and a Shen Hao field camera is a thing of beauty and is usually less money, and it's a lot lighter to trek with. Personally, and much as I like things of beauty as with a wooden field camera or a Linhof flatbed, I'd say a Toyo flatbed would make most sense and spend the rest on dark slides and a couple of lenses. However the fact that the Linhof is 'there' is very tempting and outweighs all other considerations, most of us have 'been there' in the same situation at some time or other!

Steve

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Steve,
There's also another consideration: I may need a camera with more movements in the future, and a Linhof Technikardan can share some components with the Technica. I don't shoot much architecture but a lot of industrial interiors, and the requirements are sometimes similar. A Schneider 47mm is on the wish list. If I've understood things correctly, that lens can be used with some difficulty on the Master Technica but is a perfect match for the Technikardan. I must say I look very much forward to working with larger film formats :)

markmullen

I've just bought a Technikardan 23 and am using it with a Schneider Super Angulon 47mm, it is a good combination. The only issues I've had are the recessed board makes adjusting aperture a touch tricky, and similarly my Lee filter holder doesn't quite fit flush, but haven't had an issue with it. I went for the 23 as I am not really likely to shoot a lot of film through it, but am using it with a Leaf Aptus 22 (and in future fancying a P45+) so no point in carrying more weight than necessary.

Oren Grad

I've used the Master Technika. It's a marvelous example of the camera-maker's craft, but IMO the main reason to get one is if you want to use the rangefinder, with cammed lenses. I know some photographers like to use it as an ordinary field camera, sometimes with the RF stripped off or in the MT 2000 or 3000 versions that come without the RF. But for my taste, other cameras offer better mixes of size/weight/cost/function for general tripod-based, ground-glass-focused field work.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I've used the Master Technika. It's a marvelous example of the camera-maker's craft, but IMO the main reason to get one is if you want to use the rangefinder, with cammed lenses. I know some photographers like to use it as an ordinary field camera, sometimes with the RF stripped off or in the MT 2000 or 3000 versions that come without the RF. But for my taste, other cameras offer better mixes of size/weight/cost/function for general tripod-based, ground-glass-focused field work.
The rangefinder seems like a useful feature to me, but my experience with large format is close to zero, so I wouldn't really know.*I like the portability though, and the way all is protected in a clam shell for travelling. I don't always treat my cameras nicely when on the road.

Francisco

Hello.

Many years ago I use large format cameras of various marks and models (Tachihara, Cambo, Sinar, Linhof and others). For years Linhof Technika has been one of the best tools we've ever had.

currently, even I have technika 6x9 cm and 4x5 "with many accessories and lens.

His neck was broken, never had breakdowns, one of them is from me 35 years ago.

I always recommend one of these (and have several different brands to choose from)

rmueller

Hi Jorgen,

i still have a Linhof Kardan GT 4x5" at home and have used MT from a friend. Maybe you want
to download the product brochure here: http://linhof.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/linhof_master_technika_e.pdf

The complete manual is here: http://linhof.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/MasterTechnika_classic_2000_e.pdf

The MT has gone through various improvements over the years. One of them is that in recent models you can drop
the baseboard to avoid vignetting with wide angle lenses.
I believe you can't do anything wrong buying this camera, its a nice and sturdy piece of mechanics.

I have all of my lenses mounted on the Technika lens board which makes them interchangeable between all
Linhof 4x5 models.

Regards,
Ralf

Last edited:

Francisco

Hello.

Many years ago I use large format cameras of various marks and models (Tachihara, Cambo, Sinar, Linhof and others). For years Linhof Technika has been one of the best tools we've ever had.

currently, even I have technika 6x9 cm and 4x5 "with many accessories and lens.

His neck was broken, never had breakdowns, one of them is from me 35 years ago.

I always recommend one of these (and have several different brands to choose from)

Hello.

Many years ago I use large format cameras of different marks and models (Tachihara, Cambo, Sinar, Linhof and others).

For years Linhof Technika has been one of the best tools I've ever had. (also i have other, Kardan, Techno, and Technar).

Currently, I have yet technika 2x3 "and 4x5" with many accessories and lenses. I never had faults, one of them I have 35 years.

I always recommend one of these Technika (despite having several different brands to choose from).

NOT A NOTICE OF SALE

Last edited:

RodK

Just a comment about the cameras mentioned above.

A Linhof, as stated, is a precise and well built camera. While it folds it is 5lbs plus block to carry.
It also, like all traditional folding field style cameras, is terrible when trying to use below 90mm lenses. Yes you can focus shorter lenses,
but the movements are very difficult to get at and use.

The Toyo field camera has one issue they seem to never have re-engineered: To use front shift or swing, both movements are unlocked and moving one will usually mean moving the other. Also very heavy. But larger board for recessed style so somewhat easier to adjust.

For a lightweight and small 4x5 camera, that also can be used digitally, you should consider the new Universalis.
Available in DSLR, MF, and 4x5, it has geared rise/fall on front and rear. Geared tilt(Nodal point) on front. Front swing.
And geared shift on the rear. You could start with the DSLR model, perhaps or the 4x5. We have format kits for to interchange to either of the other 2 iterations. DSLR without DSLR body is 2.4 lbs. 4x5 just over 4 lbs. So very light weight, with the precision for digital, as well as easily be fully capable of film photography.
Hope this helps.
Rod

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Dear all,
Thank you for your recent answers to this thread. Although I started it roughly 2 years ago, I never came to a conclusion about the Technica for several reasons. One was the cost of film.

The Universalis looks like an interesting unit, and is something I will look into, although I don't have the budget for it at the moment. Would it be possible to change the camera mount on the DSLR version for use with different systems, or is it permanent once delivered?

DDudenbostel

I bought a new Master Technika in 75 and used it in my commercial work for almost 35 years. They're fantastic cameras with ample movement for most work. They have double the movement of the V and IV. The main issues are with short lenses and back movements. Linhof made a supplemental focusing device for the 65 but IMO the camera isn't good for lenses shorter than 90 and even the 90 is limited even with the flip up panel in the top. It's best with 135-300mm.

The back movements are a total pain. Study the instructions and you'll see. Also for dropping the lens it's awkward.

My use of the Technika was limited but was a good addition to my Sinar Norma and Deardorff.

I also owned a Technikardan 23 and used it with a digital back. It worked well with lenses down to 35mm and up to 300. Fine camera with great movements and flexibity with a wide array of lenses. The big drawback is how Linhof designed the GG back. Only Linhof accessories work and only Linhof ground glass can replace a broken or damaged glass.

Last edited:

bensonga

I would honestly love to own a Linhof Technika of any generation. Beautifully made LF techinical cameras. My preference would be for a mint used copy of the current Master Technika 3000.

But in the meantime, I picked up this "like new" Toyo 45AII with a Zone VI case and fourteen 4x5 film holders for $850.

It's well made and works just fine. It should do the job, but someday, I'd still like to have a Linhof.

Reis tripod, AS Cube and Rodenstock 180 APO Sironar-N was not included.

Gary

Last edited: