The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Wet Plate Collodion 4x5

Paratom

Hi..I wonder if/how many people here do wetplates??
I have checked it out last year..my success was limited but I am motivated to go for another try. So who else here?
Cheers, Tom

johnnygoesdigital

It is a tricky process that just takes practice. My biggest problem was washing the image away. You need very clean glass! I think it's best to start with tin types as this is a dry process and the tin seems more forgiving.

Paratom

For sure its tricky. Do you still do it?
I think it is a very interesting way of photography, and good wetplates really have a special look. And in todays digital world it can be a good experience.

johnnygoesdigital

I am still trying to perfect my technique, but I have black tin type plates that are more forgiving than glass. My first few images actually had good exposure and contrast. One of the problems was that the camera I used was rather cheap and not rigid, so he plane of focus shifted when I inserted the glass. It still looked pretty cool though. Right now I'm using the tin type chemistry, it's much less toxic and the technique is a little easier, but the results can be just as amazing as it's sensitive to blue light. Any alternative process can be more rewarding than digital, IMO. PM me for more info and website info, where you can obtain a kit and give it a go! The tactile feel and character of a hand made print holds much appeal and appreciation. This s true for all alternative photography.

DDudenbostel

I've been doing collodion for a couple of years now. It is tricky but it's worth the effort.

All were done on black glass.

Faintandfuzzy

Here's a few shots I did with 4x5 on tin....the last is a self portrait with me holding the cable release of the camera. Hard not to squint in bright sunlight....

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg