The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ebony RSW45

GregMO

Hello,

Could someone please provide me with some resources as to where I can buy Large Format lenses from in the US? Also what lenses would you recommend for portraits?
Is there a good way convert negatives into digital?

Thanks
Po
I have purchased most of my LF lenses from Buy & Sell New & Used Cameras & a couple from B&h's used department.
What format are you using? Typically anything from a 150-300mm on a 4x5 could be used for a portrait of some sort.
I have my good images drum scanned, but it's up to what you will be using them for. Anything from a home scanner to using your digital camera can be used to digitize negatives.

johnnygoesdigital

Here's an update...
The used Ebony SW45 had cracks in the base and was one of the earlier models. The bellows was not properly stored either and doesn't hold its pleats so...Another look at the Chamonix. I'm not sure which model is their newest, but must, say I ordered a "wet plate" holder to use with another 4x5, and the build quality for the holder is amazing!
One of the features I like about the Chamonix, is the bellows allows the use of longer lenses, imo, much more functionality. I did read about focus shift with Chamonix and the fresnel lens, so that will require a little research too. Personally, I would think that a base made of anything other than wood would be better for any kind of climate or temp variations one might encounter in the field.

richardman

Johnny, I think you are overthinking this. I bought a Chamonix F1 a couple years ago and never looked back. I used it in studio, in the field, every where. You can see my images at the image thread right below this thread currently. Just go to the last page.