The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What is the differnce Rodenstock lenses

Hi,
what is the difference between a rodenstock lens with a coloured ring at the lens Barrel (like green, silver, ...) and a lensbarrel with no ring.

For example:
a) Rodenstock Sironar N 180mm /5.6 with no ring
b) Rodenstock Sironar N 180mm /5.6 with a silver ring

Are there any technical differences? Quality? Age? Better or worse one of them? A "NoGO" for digital...

Thank you.
mueller

Leigh

The colored rings are a marketing gimmick.
Rodenstock added them after Schneider started using them.

AFAIK, there is no difference in vintages of Rodenstock lenses.
The re-designs changed the lens series name, e.g. going from Apo-Sironar-N to Apo-Sironar-S.

- Leigh

Last edited:

alajuela

The colored rings are a marketing gimmick.
Rodenstock added them after Schneider started using them.

AFAIK, there is no difference in vintages of Rodenstock lenses.
The re-designs changed the lens series name, e.g. going from Sironar-N to Sironar-S.

- Leigh
Not exactly - the coating changed from the N - S -- The S has better contrast.

Phil;)

Leigh

The -N and -S are different designs.
For example...
the IC for the Apo-Sironar N 210/5.6 is 301mm, while
the IC for the Apo-Sironar S 210/5.6 is 316mm.

I'm sure each lens used the best coatings available at the time of manufacture, but I doubt that's the reason for changing the letter.

My poorly-phrased point about vintages is that I'm unaware of major changes occurring that were not accompanied by a name change.

- Leigh