Site Sponsors

Thread: Sinar asymmetrical tilts

Post Thanks / Like

Sinar asymmetrical tilts

Could someone here tell me where the asymetrical tilts and swings are positioned on the P2 and P3? I read a comment elsewhere about not using a P2 for MFDB as the tilt/swing axes don't cross the sensor.

If I were to take the Betterlight route (72x96), will the P2's axes cross the sensor, or is it better to get a P3 and use a 5x4 frame on the rear?

Any guidance appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sinar asymmetrical tilts

Quote Originally Posted by shakeshuck View Post
    Could someone here tell me where the asymetrical tilts and swings are positioned on the P2 and P3? I read a comment elsewhere about not using a P2 for MFDB as the tilt/swing axes don't cross the sensor.

If I were to take the Betterlight route (72x96), will the P2's axes cross the sensor, or is it better to get a P3 and use a 5x4 frame on the rear?

Any guidance appreciated.
    Since I use a Cambo Ultima for my Betterlight I can not answer your question exactly, but can tell you I doubt this would be a problem on the Sinar P2 since the sensor configuration for the BL is exactly centered compared to a 4x5 sheet of film, though smaller of course.

Hope this helps.

Rob

edwinb

24mm height and width offset on p2 4x5 to centre cameraback
    Edwin

Burmin

The area of these axes on P2 is 72x72 mm in the center of the ground glass.

edwinb

Quote Originally Posted by shakeshuck View Post
    or is it better to get a P3 and use a 5x4 frame on the rear?
    the p3 standard is identical to p2. The p2 can be converted to p3 with the upgrade kit which is a front and rear frame in 100 format with matching standard bellows.

Hi Burmin, welcome,

edwin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by edwinb View Post
    the p3 standard is identical to p2. The p2 can be converted to p3 with the upgrade kit which is a front and rear frame in 100 format with matching standard bellows.
    edwin
    Edwin, I think I'm finally grasping what you've been trying to tell me...

...the horzontal shifts are the same 3/5cm for the p2 and p3, therefore the axes are in the same place! (phew )

I do still have trouble, however, with the comment that the carriers are the same...
    ...the p2 is listed as having 8cm of vertical movement, the p3 as 6cm?

Thanks for persisting with me.

edwinb

on investigating I find when upgrading a P2 to P3 with the conversion kit, the vertical movements are still 8cm.
    If you get a Sinar P3, the movements will be 6cm because the bearers of the p3 are mechanically shorter.
    - and I hadnt noticed befor- thanks for that Graham

It also means the reverse,
    that if you put a 4x5 frame on a rear p3 bearer you have 6cm of movement as opposed to the 8cm you would have with a complete p2 rear standard

Edwin