The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NY NJ Deardorff resources

ocarlo

greetings,
Been away, and looking for a NYC NJ (or driveable distance) shop
to CLA my 8x10 Deardorff. Never felt comfortable with it, and am looking at a Chamonix 4x10 and half/dark slides on 8x10 film. I shoot people and kinda need to work fast, and steady.
Any NYC tips much appreciated.
PS doing my homework too. will check with Nippon Clinic, but I doubt it.

I think you'll have a tough time finding local shops that will work on your 'Dorff. It's my understanding that these guys: http://www.deardorffcameras.com/ will fully overhaul your V8. It will require shipping off your camera and most likely a few weeks of service, but getting a V8 back into as good a condition as possible is a GREAT investment. These things a works of art in their own way and should be preserved.

As far as a quick shooting 8x10 set up, the only way I've personally seen this work is when you work with assistants. I can't think of any specific camera that would be more or less faster than another. There are a couple advantages to the Chamonix but nothing major IMO.

ocarlo

thanks for the reply, and the link.
seems to me the 8x10 cut in half with dark slides may be better.
film availability and all that. Having to re-compose though might be too much pain.
Now I have to investigate 6x12 and 120film..cheers

I think you'll have a tough time finding local shops that will work on your 'Dorff. It's my understanding that these guys: http://www.deardorffcameras.com/ will fully overhaul your V8. It will require shipping off your camera and most likely a few weeks of service, but getting a V8 back into as good a condition as possible is a GREAT investment. These things a works of art in their own way and should be preserved.

As far as a quick shooting 8x10 set up, the only way I've personally seen this work is when you work with assistants. I can't think of any specific camera that would be more or less faster than another. There are a couple advantages to the Chamonix but nothing major IMO.