The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

info on this older cambo 2x3 sliding back?

faneuil

hey all.
MF and RF old timer here. But I am a real LF newbie.

I bought this older 2x3 Cambo sliding back but am curious to know what interface plates work with it.
Goal: to put a mamiya 645 plate on to it

any info appreciated. thanks

Eric

cambo-2x3-sliding-back-1918-p.jpg

neil

I did exactly the same a few years ago. I bought an old cambo 2x3 sliding back with the older style hasselblad v interface. I wanted a mamiya mount. I eventually found a wds tech camera back plate with mamiya interface. I took the mamiya interface adapter off the wds plate and put on the sliding adapter. I had to shim the plate with some thin washers to get the ground glass and adapter plate in the same plane. Works really well. Very high quality sliding back.

Alkibiades

This is the old style cambo sliding back with interface adapters that needs screws.
All cambo sliding backs are very well made, graet quality such Linhof, Arca, Silvestri.
One problem is that the all the interface adapters have not the same focusing plane, so you need to use the metal shim.
The Linhof/arca/silvestri adapters have the same focusing plane, but Cambo like Kapture group dont have ( at cambo you have to shim the adapter plate, at Kapture Group the focusing glass)
Just call or write to Cambo and you will get the shim part. You have to know what interface you want to use.
Second: best option is to let the Cambo to mount the interface adapter, becouse the screws must be absolutly flat in all 4 positions.
Differences of 1/100 of milimeter can make big problems- one side is not sharp ect...
You can use only the older adapters with screws on this sliding back, not the new.

faneuil

Just an update - SK Grimes did the mod for me. Superb quality workmanship! and a superb sliding back.
My franken-camera lives!

eric