The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What´s the back of my Chamonix 4x5?

bensonga

Ray,

Thanks for the entertaining and interesting post! I just purchased a Horseman 6x12 back to use on my Sinar P and Ebony 45SU. I'm thinking about the Widepan adapter to use with my Hasselblad CFV-II digital back on the same cameras, so I was very interested to see your setup. Is your Widepan a "sliding adapter" back or one that you have to take the MF digital back off in order to focus on the ground glass and then re-attach the MFDB to take the picture? I couldn't make that out from your photos and description.

In general....how do you like the Widepan adapter? Is it well made?

Gary
Alaska

Grayhand

I am glad if the thread is useful to others.
I would have liked to read it when I first started thinking about 4x5 :)

The adapter that I show in this thread is an adapter specially made to move the DB in order to make stitched pictures, so we can call it a sliding (posting 9 in this tread shows movement on the adapter)

In order to focus and adjust any movements on the camera I have to remove the DB and mount the ground glass on the adapter (se post 6 in this thread).

I have another adapter that I mainly use on my Sinar F that is a "moving" adaptor with a fix ground glass in a separate position on the adapter. The negative thing about this solution is that the adaptor is much longer due to the fact that this solution requires separate positions for ground glass and DB.
And this adaptor only have one position for the DB, so it is not what I mean by “sliding adaptor”.

The quality of both adaptors is good. They feel very rigid and movements are smooth.

But I am at the moment thinking about another solution. And that is to buy a extra frame that holds the Graflock system on the camera.
And on one frame have the DB mounted on the sliding adaptor and on the other frame mount the ground glass that came with the camera. That is to use the larger ground glass for focusing and composition of the picture. The ground glass on the adaptor is not that big.

And the frame for the Graflock system is hold in place by two latches on top of the camera. It takes only a few seconds to switch a frame this way.
But, still untested in practise.
Only tested in theory :)

Ray

Don Libby

Ray

First great post and images. Up till now I didn't think one could use a digital back on large format cameras; then again I'd ask myself the question of why and I already think I know the answer. "If you have to ask you won't understand" - correct?

The reason for the question is the limitation of the sensor size when compared to the film size with the sensor size being the Achilles heel; you can only go so large.

I fully understand and appreciate the humongous increase in lens quality as I moved to my WRS and Schneider lenses so is there yet another leap by going this route?

Just curious

Don

Grayhand

Hi Don!

“Concerned citizen has a right to know” :)

There is for me a simple reason, flexibility!
I do not know of any other “camera system” that gives you a larger degree of flexibility than the Graflock system.

I bought first an old Sinar F and some lenses and realised the possibilities with the Graflock system. But the Sinar, witch is a monorail camera, is not that portable, so I got my self a Chamonix 4x5. And suddenly I have a portable system that can handle almost anything invented for camera use (a slight exaggeration).

And the use of a digital back is only one of many possible configurations.
All my lenses have a image circle of at least 200 mm witch give me a possibility to use pathological levels of camera movements with my P45.
There is no end to the number of lenses available that I can use.

And all this at a cost that is very low compared to a new technical camera with a couple of lenses. You could of course argue that the new lenses is superior to my older lenses. But for me this difference has no practical meaning. When I have finished with my pixel massage in PS and put the picture on paper, it does not matter much that my lens is not the sharpest thing in the extreme corners...

I do not care much about how my pictures looks, I am much more concerned with how they feel. It is all about having the possibility to experiment and follow what´s comes up in the moment.
And if you have no clue to what you are going to do tomorrow, then it is good to have maximum flexibility in your system at a not to high price.

But if you look at the large format camera as just a system to hold the lens at the right distance from the DB, there is of course no differens or gain in using a LF system compared to a new technical camera.

I include one picture just to show what kind of pictures I am after (this is not a LF photo, just for illustration of point).

But not even the possibility of my 4x5 system is always enough.
I am at the moment having a deep and meaningful love affair with a couple of Mamyia 6 range finders and a lot of old frozen Portra VC ASA 400 film.
To many possibilities, to little time...

But standing on a windy beach with my camera bellows flying in the wind, I would not complain to have your technical camera instead.

Ray

Last edited:

Francois_A

Nice image Ray! :thumbup:

Is it a bird flying that we see in the lower left corner?
Which lens did you use on the Chamonix for that image?

What is the widest lens you are using on the Chamonix with the P45?
Although I can use the 47 XL on a plain lens board with the Chamonix, and probably a 35mm with a recessed board, I doubt a 24mm could be accommodated. That might be one area where a technical camera is preferable.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The one that intrigues me is the 5x8 with both a 5x8 and 5x7 back :thumbs:

But I have to admit to a certain love affair with the non-folding Ebony 45SU...

Grayhand

Francois, that photo is not taken with my Cham, only included to illustrate what kind of photos I take.
I am at the moment living in my camping car so I have a limited access to my older photos.
In the left corner is the top of a tele com mast that I forgot to clone out :eek:

Because I am not a “interest in the foreground, view in the background” kind of photo guy, I dont use much wide angle lenses.
I go more for normal to tele lenses.
The widest at the moment is a 90 mm lens, and I will later ad a 65-75 mm lens. But I do not plan for anything wider.

Well Jack, I suppose I also have to lay a large part of the reason for buying my Cham at your feet because of that thread.

And Don, “ban” never helps, it is better to just give in, we all do in the end anyway :cool:

Ray

Last edited:

Don Libby

Every time I tell myself not to open this thread it somehow opens all by itself..

Oh what the, he double hockey sticks - there's just too much good information here.

Yeah I'll be back

Don

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Gary:

Beautiful! I had one for quite a while and loved using it. In fact, it may be the ideal 4x5 for a field landscape shooter ;)

bensonga

Hi Gary:
Beautiful! I had one for quite a while and loved using it. In fact, it may be the ideal 4x5 for a field landscape shooter ;)
Ahh...then I'm sure you know the camera better than me. I've had it for about 18 months and only run a dozen sheets of film thru it. Gotta get out there more. I bought one of the Horseman 6x12 roll film backs recently, so maybe I'll get out this weekend and give that a try. I tried the Horseman on my Sinar P and it works well....I'm assuming it will fit on the Ebony.

Gary

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
It'll fit, but FWIW, I am not a huge of roll-film backs on a 4x5 unless they are the Sinar/Calumet slide-in style. The Grafloc style are a PITA to use as you have to remove the GG after composition, then reattach it to compose... For the ease of use, readyloads were my favorite and you have the advantage of mixing emulsions as the image merited.

The other issue with that camera and an MF roll back (and even worse for a digital back) is the assym rear tilts and swings put the axis of pivot off or at the edge of the frame, not at a logical point...

But it is magic to use with 4x5 sheets :thumbs:

bensonga

It'll fit, but FWIW, I am not a huge of roll-film backs on a 4x5 unless they are the Sinar/Calumet slide-in style. The Grafloc style are a PITA to use as you have to remove the GG after composition, then reattach it to compose... For the ease of use, readyloads were my favorite and you have the advantage of mixing emulsions as the image merited.

The other issue with that camera and an MF roll back (and even worse for a digital back) is the assym rear tilts and swings put the axis of pivot off or at the edge of the frame, not at a logical point...

But it is magic to use with 4x5 sheets :thumbs:
Yeah, I'm not sure how much I will like or use the roll film holder, but I figured the 6x12 was worth a try. Thanks for the observation about the position of the focus point re the assym tilt/swing....something I'll keep an eye on (no pun intended!).

I have a good supply of Fuji Quickloads (Acros and Provia) and even of the Polaroid Type 55 in the frig....just need to get out there and use it now.

Gary

Gary

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
I just wished I had not learned Cham makes an 8x10. It's new prices is right there with some used Deardorff's.

Maybe I need some time at crap table in the Reno Hilton or the roulett wheel in the Vegas Hilton.