The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Bounce an idea, re Arca-Swiss monorails

mathomas

All,

I'm the proud new owner of a nice, used, A-S F-Line Basic. It came with a 40cm solid rail. I would like to consider traveling with this camera at some point, and realize that there are nice options just for that purpose, such as the telescoping and folding rails. However, those options (new) cost nearly what the entire body cost me :cry:. I know A-S stuff is pricey, but these pieces of machined/extruded metal must be hewn by archangels out of pure solidified love. (I have a more scatalogical theory on how the archangels extrude the parts, but I'll spare you.)

Anyway, the cost of these parts had me thinking creatively. While pondering, I wondered whether I could perhaps just get a 15cm solid extension rail, and attach it to the longer rail when I want to pull the standards off for packing. I'd attach it, run the standards onto it, and detach it, and reverse the process when setting up. This would also give me a pretty long rail when/if that is desirable. Not as convenient as the other options, but about half the price.

Is this possible or is it just a goofy pipe dream due to the way the parts fit and lock? Finding detailed pictures and/or video of these parts in action is difficult, perhaps due to their heavenly source.

Alternately, if anyone has a telescoping or folding rail they need to be rid of, please PM me.

Thanks!

JeRuFo

I've only helped someone, who had never used LF, get to grips with his F-line (or at least the movements and what order to adjust them all), but have no real experience with it, apart from using one that was permanently on a tripod in a studio. He had a folding rail and used a short rail for transportation (he shot flowers quite close up, so needed a long rail.)
I wouldn't take my word for it, but I think that is indeed the way to do it.

mathomas

I've only helped someone, who had never used LF, get to grips with his F-line (or at least the movements and what order to adjust them all), but have no real experience with it, apart from using one that was permanently on a tripod in a studio. He had a folding rail and used a short rail for transportation (he shot flowers quite close up, so needed a long rail.)
I wouldn't take my word for it, but I think that is indeed the way to do it.
Thanks! At the least, it helps me know I'm not totally nuts for even considering it. I will await a more certain response, though, as you suggest.

JeRuFo

Thanks! At the least, it helps me know I'm not totally nuts for even considering it. I will await a more certain response, though, as you suggest.
Yes, definetely do that. I feel uncomfortable giving advice on gear I don't know well.
For specific gear questions I think you'll have more luck on the LFF forum.

mathomas

Yes, definetely do that. I feel uncomfortable giving advice on gear I don't know well.
For specific gear questions I think you'll have more luck on the LFF forum.
Oh, damn. I didn't realize I was in the LF digital forum. Thanks for the heads-up!

JeRuFo

I think you're on the right forum on GetDPI, it's just that this forum is kind of quiet and doesn't get visited by many actual LF photograpers. Largeformatphotography.info actually has a separate forum just for technical questions like this.

mathomas

Thanks for the suggestion! Long story short, I ended up buying a 30cm extension bracket and a 15cm rail from none other than Kerry Thalmann. Now I have a telescoping setup that exactly what I want, and when the carriers are on the short rail,the setup fit into my backpack, just so.

arca-swiss f-line in mindshift gear backlight 26l by Mike Thomas, on Flickr

I think you're on the right forum on GetDPI, it's just that this forum is kind of quiet and doesn't get visited by many actual LF photograpers. Largeformatphotography.info actually has a separate forum just for technical questions like this.

MartinN

Congratulations to a nice camera in a nice bag.

I have a Sinar F but don't carry it around enough.

The problem I have is that I can't afford to aquire or shoot color sheet
but indeed I have some BW in store.

My main interest now is MF with a Fuji GX680 because I can have all
the movements and lenses beside having stocked up a LOT of expired
color roll film.

Have Fun !

Martin

mathomas

Yes, the short rail option really transforms the packability of the Arca-Swiss, for sure. I'm fortunate to have been able to add this feature to my system for a not-unreasonable price.

I think that GX680 must be a blast to shoot. It is something that has come into my crosshairs a few times, but I've never pulled the trigger.

Congratulations to a nice camera in a nice bag.

I have a Sinar F but don't carry it around enough.

The problem I have is that I can't afford to aquire or shoot color sheet
but indeed I have some BW in store.

My main interest now is MF with a Fuji GX680 because I can have all
the movements and lenses beside having stocked up a LOT of expired
color roll film.

Have Fun !

Martin