The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Adapting 4x5 Sinar f with Digital backs?

HpS

What are the better options for converting use of an old Sinar 4x5 to use with available digital backs?
Anyone with this experience here and can shed some light on this topic.

RodK

That camera is unfortunately nowhere near precise enough for digital back usage. You have to be 4 times, minimum, more precise with digital than you ever were with film. You can't really stop down past F11.5 with a wide angle to normal, about 72mm, lens, and a 50-60mp digital back.

A longer lens can go down another stop. Most Film lenses are quite poor when used with digital capture.

Contact me if you would like some more info.
Rod

darr

I will not argue about precision, but depending upon what the variables may be, you can use a digital back with a 4x5. I know photographers that use a wooden field with their digital backs besides film and are happy with the results. Having a metal monorail IMO is better.

I use ALPA, Hasselblad and Linhof cameras with my CFV-50c, but occasionally I use my digital back with my old Sinar Norma and c.1880s shutterless brass lens because I like the results. I bought a used Kapture Group sliding back to secure the digital back on the Sinar and focus via Live View.

Here is a Behind the Scenes post with the Sinar Norma + CFV-50c:

https://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium...-backs/31282-behind-scenes-54.html#post807852

My goal is not to ruffle anybody’s feathers here, but after I purchased a new Arca Swiss M Line 2, I sold it after a year because there was just enough slop in it that I decided to try an ALPA and have never looked back.

So if you want to try a digital back on your Sinar, look for an adapter plate for it. There are many to be found on eBay, and I bought mine used from B&H Photo. You do not need a sliding back unless you cannot tether or your digital back does not have Live View focusing.

Wall-H

@darr @RodK & Experts, I've exact same question but instead of Sinar F, I'm debating about below options.
Cambo Ultima, Horseman 45LX, Sinar X, Kardan RE, Technikardan.
I understand with 4x5 there would be some amount of play but do you by any chance heard about any system being more precise than others ?

I do not want to keep and maintain multiple systems. I've 3 different needs, IQ3 digital back, 6x7 roll film & 4x5 film. (and my budget is ~2000 and i've medical condition based weight restriction so i prefer lighter option. ).
I'm looking for bellows with length from ~80mm to minimum 500 mm (Technikardan gives me 485 mm + 52 mm extension hat for lens board)
Appreciate if you can share your experience to rule out one or other options.

P. Chong

I have been thinking of doing this route For my Sinar X/P2 and GFX.

darr

@darr @RodK & Experts, I've exact same question but instead of Sinar F, I'm debating about below options.
Cambo Ultima, Horseman 45LX, Sinar X, Kardan RE, Technikardan.
I understand with 4x5 there would be some amount of play but do you by any chance heard about any system being more precise than others ?

I do not want to keep and maintain multiple systems. I've 3 different needs, IQ3 digital back, 6x7 roll film & 4x5 film. (and my budget is ~2000 and i've medical condition based weight restriction so i prefer lighter option. ).
I'm looking for bellows with length from ~80mm to minimum 500 mm (Technikardan gives me 485 mm + 52 mm extension hat for lens board)
Appreciate if you can share your experience to rule out one or other options.
While there are many choices available, the best advice I can give is to have a gear-focusing rail over a sliding rail, make sure the rear standard is straight, and use a studio stand for the 500mm reach. Tripods are great tools, but with long reaches in the studio, my studio stand is the only support I put my 4x5 on.

Problems can arise with digital backs on 4x5 cameras more so with wide-angle lenses, but it does not seem you will be in that range. Sinar and Linhof are the 4x5 cameras I have used my digital backs with without issue. Skip a sliding back for focusing and focus via Live View so you are focusing at the sensor level.

Regardless of the camera you choose, ensure that you have the option to return it if you encounter issues with the rear standard alignment or excessive play. Some of the 4x5 commercial cameras can be quite old and heavily used. Ultimately, the most crucial step is to purchase and test for yourself.

Wishing you the best of luck in your decision!

Wall-H

Thank you very much @darr . Actually i got rushed into this when my bid got accepted at surprise amount. I'll start separate thread.

f6cvalkyrie

I have written about my setup before, but can't find it anymore ...
I use an old Panasonic G1 as a digital back on my hybrid SINAR, f front-standard and P (or is it P2 ?) rear standard
The interface is a cheap adapter plate from E-Bay, fitting in there where normally the film holder is loaded. Mine comes with a Nikon F bayonet, and I use a Nikon F to Micro 4/3 to adapt the G1.
It works fine ...
I have just played with this "poor man's digital large format camera" and this was a result ... don't look at the subject, but see that there is nothing wrong with the sharpness
Lens : Rodenstock SIRONAR-N 210/5.6 at f16
4 rows of 6 vertical images stitched. I shot 6 rows to go to the limit of the image circle, but somehow the 5th and 6th row stitch together but not with row 1-4 ...

I hope this helps ...

Screenshot 2024-01-11 172326.jpgSINARG1.jpg