The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LF field pricing ?

MartinN

Will there be some very attractive price reductions on field cameras ? I understand that everything LF are niche products and scarce and specialized. Therefore they can be priced more expensively than abundant photo gear. However is there a future for LF equipment ? For sure LF color film is all too expensive and will only be more expensive or even disappear entirely. This uncertainity of any future for LF should possibly be seen in price reductions. Indeed monorails are ridiculosly cheap because no one want to deal with them anymore.

I am waiting for field camera price reductions but can't foresee the future.
My opionion is that there is no future for LF except for nuts like me.

anyone

Actually I think quite the contrary: LF is again on the rise, with new field camera manufacturers like Chamonix and even mass-products like Intrepid being around and apparently quite successful.

Also LF colour film is quite okay priced if you develop it by yourself.

Edit: when it comes to field camera prices, Wista and Toyo have great cameras for a very affordable price. The former I used by myself, from the latter I read a lot of good things.

Last edited:

Duff photographer

I agree with 'anyone'.

With the continued rise in the interest in film, so too with large format. Film (colour and B&W) will always be around. Indeed, I know one chap who has started up professionally developing and scanning film again, and of course you have film manufacturers starting up defunct film lines, e.g., Acros II (although not in LF, not yet).

Yes, some large format manufacturers (e.g., Ebony) have chucked the towel in, as it were, but that means more potential customers have moved to the likes of Chamonix and Shen Hao, thereby keeping those companies afloat.

New cameras will still have a price (it costs money to make them), but the second-hand market could be good as long as there are photographers dumping their LF gear for the latest medium format digital thingy. However, I think that peak has passed as I have seen a rise in the price of second-hand cameras over the last few years. Exceptonal deals are drying up. For example, you could get a good condition (but old) MPP 4x5 for £100, but now they seem to be pushing £300. Things like the newer Arca Swiss and no-longer-made Ebony cameras are going for very good money (four figures, almost for the same price as when sold new), an example of quality holding its price (unless it's digital, which doesn't). Same with lenses. Good lenses are holding their price with some increasing.

One of the reasons why I've stuck with large format (professionally) is that the image quality is still exactly the same as it was - very high. Large format equipment also allows you to do things that no other format (digital or film) can do. I had no reason (or funds) to dish out on a high end digital set-up that would replace it, and it made little business sense to do so. More convenient to go digital but not necessarily better in quality. Also quite a few customers value a film sheet exposed in an impressive large format camera more highly than a myriad of digital images produced by a pokey digital camera (edit: just realised, this could be regarded as heresy on DPI :bugeyes:), the same as they value a silver print over an inkjet print. They're not 'better' per se, but it's a good selling point for some.

Also, large format cameras are very simple - no electronics that will eventually die, no batteries required (other than for light meter), easy and very simple interface, more 'zen' way of working. I can guarantee that a LF camera will still function 100 years after it was made. A digital camera will not. The Achille's Heal of digital is the ever-changing/evolving electronics and software, pushed by market pressure (company A has to come up with something new to stay ahead of company B and vice versa, which may result in both companies going up their own bottoms), and the long term cost of 'keeping up' with it.

Also, you can make your own LF camera if really pushed.

Large format is going to be around for a very long time and the prices of good ones will go up as supply begins to dwindle with many attracting a collector's premium as time goes on. Well, at least until we become extinct :grin:.

Cheers,
Duff.

Last edited:

rmueller

Hi,

i ordered a Linhof Master Technika 3000 four weeks ago since I want to do more 4x5” work again. Linhof has a backlog actually, I might get the camera some time mid to end August. They have some delays with certain parts in their supply chain due to Covid-19 but demand seems to be high too, especially for Techno and Master Technika.

Personally, I’m really looking forward to going out in the field again with few sheets of film for the day. Not sure this is a direct result of the pandemic or a general tiredness of complex electronic systems, back to basics is what I’m after at the moment. And who knows, maybe one day I’ll attach the MF back to it :ROTFL:

Regards,
Ralf

MartinN

Yes, there is one way not yet utilized fully in digital, ie bigger sensors. I am waiting for RZ 6x7 sensors or Fuji 6x8 sensors. Those are more probable than 4x5 sensors, but why not a brand new scanning back:grin:

darr

Hi,

i ordered a Linhof Master Technika 3000 four weeks ago since I want to do more 4x5” work again.
Good choice!
My MT 3000 is the most versatile, most useful gear I own. I also own medium format digital, but large format IMO will never be obsolete as it is omnipotent to those that understand its unique abilities.

Best to you and hope your 3000 shows up soon,
Darr

anyone

The Linhof is indeed a beautiful camera. I chose a Chamonix as my LF camera due to its weight, but I understand the Linhof appeal.

rmueller

Hi,

i picked the Linhof Master Technika because I own a Kardan GT for many years and all my LF lenses are on Technika boards already, so I just need the body and nothing else. The 150mm will get re-mounted on another board so that it fits in the closed body. With that I have a fairly light setup. Should have done that many years ago.

Regards,
Ralf

darr

Hi,

i picked the Linhof Master Technika because I own a Kardan GT for many years and all my LF lenses are on Technika boards already, so I just need the body and nothing else. The 150mm will get re-mounted on another board so that it fits in the closed body. With that I have a fairly light setup. Should have done that many years ago.

Regards,
Ralf
Ralf,
My Nikkor-W 150/5.6 lens is the lens I leave on in my closed 3000 body. All I had to do was change the original lens cap to a smaller profile cap for it to fit. My first Linhof camera was a Baby Color and it was from there Linhof became my choice of camera manufacturer when possible.

Best to you,
Darr

rmueller

Dear Darr,

i have a Rodenstock APO Sironar-N 150/5.6 which they say doesn't fit into the closed body with the standard board. We'll figure it out, I will spend half a day at the Linhof factory in Munich to pick up the Master Technika and get all of my other Linhof gear serviced (Kardan GT, ball heads etc.).

All the best and safe travels (just spend few minutes on your web site and blog, amazing work)
Ralf

Ralf,
My Nikkor-W 150/5.6 lens is the lens I leave on in my closed 3000 body. All I had to do was change the original lens cap to a smaller profile cap for it to fit. My first Linhof camera was a Baby Color and it was from there Linhof became my choice of camera manufacturer when possible.

Best to you,
Darr

Last edited:

darr

Dear Darr,

i have a Rodenstock APO Sironar-N 150/5.6 which they say doesn't fit into the closed body with the standard board. We'll figure it out, I will spend half a day at the Linhof factory in Munich to pick up the Master Technika and get all of my other Linhof gear serviced (Kardan GT, ball heads etc.).

All the best and safe travels (just spend few minutes on your web site and blog, amazing work)
Ralf
Oh wow, I wish I could visit Linhof!! :thumbs:
Thank you for the compliment.
I know you will LOVE your new 3000!

Kind regards,
Darr

MartinN

This website gives bad, mad impulses. I 'had' to order a nice Horseman 45HF for more movements and a sturdier build than my Crown Graphic. The Crown has not so good build quality from the 40s and I have been concerned about the ground glass calibration.

med

I agree with the sentiment in this thread in that prices are going up, not down, for both used gear as well as for the few remaining large format manufacturers.

If you’re in the market for something and it is available at a price you can afford, I would say jump on it... I just ordered some parts for my Arca Swiss 4x5 setup which is basically complete now (save for 8x10 conversion kit... some day perhaps!). Over the last few years I have been watching eBay and forums for Arca Swiss parts quite closely and have noticed there are fewer available than in the past... I waited a long time and eventually just bought some new parts, which are not cheap!

DougDolde

Not that I'd ever shoot 4x5 again but an Arca Swiss would be a wise choice.

Just the thought of loading film holders makes me ill.

anyone

Just the thought of loading film holders makes me ill.
Quite the contrary here. I like it. The whole process is almost meditative. Most of my work I shoot digital, but I sincerely enjoy the slow process. It starts from the large ground glass to work with, continues with the haptics of the camera (nice wood in my case), to the more forgiving use of tilt compared to digital, and finally to see the negatives.

It's not for volume work, but occassionally a pleasure to do.

PS: contributing to the topic, the same what was said about LF cameras also accounts for really high quality glass. There is rarely any bad LF glass available, but if you want to go for the top-of-the-line offerings, they tend to get more expensive.