The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lost and found

Lars

On my way down to Malta in October 2007 I stopped overnight in a small village in Toscana. I made one 8x10 exposure for later development, then forgot about it.

I really did forget about it, for a year and a half... but found the exposed sheet during spring cleaning last week. Got it back from development this week, here it is fresh out of the Howtek.

Villa a Sella, Toscana, October 2007. Toyo 810G, Cooke XVa @ 311mm, 81A, ND grad 0.6 soft, 1 sec at f/32 on Velvia 50. Straight scan, no corrections.

Lars

Detail crop at 2000 dpi (just below and right of center). It's a bit soft at this resolution but there is more detail than at 1000 dpi. With slight sharpening the text at the top of the label saying "MADE IN ITALY" becomes just readable but not quite clear.

Lars

Glad you found it as it's really beautiful. It feels so reel, just like you could step into the frame.
Yeah - you should see it on a light table... makes you just want to walk into the scene.

There is an underlying question here though... Is this an image that I would want to show a gallery owner? To me it's highly conventional. A large print would surely impress, but this kind of photography has been done so many times already.

emmawest72

Lars,

I find the image absolutely beautiful but I don't think it will appeal to a gallery owner due to it's content. As you said yourself, we have already seen this kind of scene many times over though this one certainly has more appeal because of the use of large format. However, I think you could probably make some good print sales through an outlet such as Photoshelter or other. It would probably also work well as a stock image.

Good luck.