The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lightphase sliding back. What camera?

Atracksler

I’ve got a Lightphase sliding back for my HD 39.

Looking at a Sinar P or a horseman 450, will both of these work with the sliding back? I’m concerned about the tilt mechanism on the horseman.

Appreciate any and all advice.

MartinN

Flex adaptor?
I have a Chinese made sliding back for Graflex locking.
But I have not investigated its use on LF because I like more to use 4x5 film or a dedicated MF camera with digital back. The common problem with digital backs on LF cameras is keeping the back and front standard parallel. This is not easy with view cameras and the cameras should be as rigid as possible and have 'inherent' good parallel back and lens board.

MartinN

Linhof Techno is a dedicated camera so how about Linhof Technica ? Expensive for sure. I have 'thougt' of using field cameras but I doubt I could use Sinar F.

anyone

Unfortunately I do not have any comments about the FlexAdapter.

But I do own 4x5" field cameras and the mentioned Linhof Techno. In summary, the Techno is a more rigid field camera with a fixed rear standard. All movements are geared and precise, with zero detends. Still there is concern keeping the standards parallel. Exactly this might be the main concern also using the FlexAdapter on a 4x5" camera.

The field cameras I used so far are not in the same league as the Techno when it comes to precision. Either gears are missing, or they are too unprecise. A lot of pro photographers changed from Sinar to a Linhof 679 system for increased precsion for digital use.

On the other hand, others are happy using digital back adapters for their LF cameras (Darr for example). I decided to skip this part as I do enjoy to use my gear for 4x5" film, but am afraid I wouldn't have the same amount of joy when it comes to my digital back.