The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Starting 8x10 view camera

Z

zzyzx

The comments on Deardorff reflect the quality of the cameras. The work, work well and last. They are worth the price you pay as long as you get one that has focus gearing that isn't worn out. That can be replaced.

There is nothing quite like a Deardorff. A piece of history that works well still for LF photography. Built well and built to last. There are newer cameras but most are not as nice as a good Deardorff.

In newer wood field cameras you can get Ebony and sell the kids to pay for it. If I were buying a new field camera among the modern offerings I would look at Canham and the models made by Richard Ritter, camera repair whiz and innovator. Philips are nice but bellows limited for what I do though many love them and don't need 30 inches of bellows draw.

I would absolutely, positively stay away from anything named Wisner. Way too much baggage and shoddy workmanship came from that company and it really drags down the few good ones made in the mess. Too much chance of getting a turkey with poorly fitted and finished pieces. Why take the chance when there are so many nice cameras on the market?

Wood field cameras are nice and Deardorff is one most look at when they attempt design and manufacturing of newer models.

Lars

It's worth to mention that Deardorffs are heavy beasts. Most modern wood field makers try to make lighter cameras. Something's got to give.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
It should also be mentioned that deardorffs have tiny -- and I mean tiny -- lock knobs... But that aside, I agree there's a beauty to them. Of course I see as much beauty in a Chamonix or Ebony, but that's me...

Don Hutton

I've owned just about every modern 8x10 camera and a bunch of older one's too (including what must be the most beautifully restored Deardorff on the planet) and shot with all of them in a studio environment and in the field. It's my opinion that the Chamonix 8x10 is an outstanding combination of features, build quality and design for an excellent price. If I were still shooting 8x10, I'd have one...