The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Straps here is what i use

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well another little tidbit of info. Thanks to Al Tanabe when i was in Germany on the leica tour he showed me his camera strap after i almost lost a M8 off my shoulder with a Luigi strap which is really nice leather and hand made but it just does not hold very well to your shoulder when you bend down. So i put on a Leica strap and they work very nice but in the heat of the battle you just don't have time to unwind it and make sure the grip side sticks down on your shoulder. Well Al showed me is Upstrap and it is two sided grip , so now i have them on both camera's and have been very happy with them. Here is a link to them, I use the RF one's

http://upstrap-pro.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=RF

Jim Stone

Workshop Member
Guy,

I really like the pad but hate to lose Luigi's strap. Did u try to fit it on his? But I could still use his case with the grip which I really like.

Jim

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Nice. My current M8 strap is a Domke Gripper with "Canon Professional" printed on one side. :) Not sure how I ended up with it, but it's quite nice. Nylon with a rubberized side. The Luigi ones are nice, too, but look a little off without a matching half case.

atanabe

I have been using the Upstraps for six years now. They are by far the best $30 one can spend on a camera. I have them for all of my cameras, M8, Nikon D1X, Hasseys and my bags. They just do what a strap is supposed to do, keep your camera on your shoulder wihout having to lift your shoulder up.
My new strap is meant to use like a wrist strap, it is the Artist and Artisan Silk strap. http://www.artisanandartist.com/straps/acam106.htm I wrap it around my wrist and hold the M grip at the ready. But it does not perform well as shoulder strap, it still slips, I still like the Upstrap for overall travel.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I went with upstraps on both my M8s. It killed me to take off the Luigi straps as I use his half cases and the leather is nicer..but functionally the upstrap just works better.

jonoslack

Hi there
I have used all kinds of straps, but truth to tell I find that the basic Leica strap works best; it's light and thin, sticks to my shoulder and is easy to wrap around my wrist when carrying the camera. It doesn't scratch the LCD either
In fact, having spent a fortune on hand grips, half cases, fancy straps and bags, I now use my M8s "naked" as they came out of the box, and I carry them around in a ten year old Billingham small Hadley. Go figure!
..... And yes Guy ......
typed on my iPhone!

Last edited:

robsteve

Subscriber
Does the Upstrap have the same quick connectors as the Leica strap? These quick connectors is one reason I stay with the stock Leica strap. Using split rings on a Leica makes it slow to remove the strap and the rings marr the body and strap lugs.

When travelling, I have a Billingham grip pad that snaps over the stock Leica strap. It does not slip off your shoulder and is more comfortable around the neck when you have a heavy set of lenses.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/220682-REG/Billingham_521101_SP10_Shoulder_Pad_Black_.html

Guy Mancuso

Robert what I did was steal the lug adapters from the Leica straps and used them which I think the Leica lugs are the best setup. Jim if you want the black Luigi i can send it too you, just setting here anyway. I also found it a little short.

i like the look of his cases

robsteve

Subscriber
Robert what I did was steal the lug adapters from the Leica straps and used them which I think the Leica lugs are the best setup.

Guy:

Don't you need to cut the Leica strap to get the leica lug pieces off and then have them sewn onto the new strap? Doubles the price of a third party stap if you have to ruin a Leica strap to get the quick release fittings.

Guy Mancuso

Yup you have to cut the strap. That is the bad part right there. Than you can use it on the upstrap. I took the orginal straps and hacked them for parts. I'm a alternative guy. LOL

gogopix

Subscriber
Shoulder?

I learned long ago that around the neck AND over the shoulder is the only safe way to carry a camera.

The staps are long enough for me.

At times, when shooting I may change, and go just around my neck or as a last ditch, I just hold it.

Maybe you mean something different, but just on the shoulder, well maybe I just learned wrong 50 years ago from my aunt (a pro)

Or maybe she just did not relly trust me with a camera.:eek:

For those more generously proportioned, I think you can get an extender, like they have for BIG people on airline seat belts.:p

S

Shootist

Shoulder?

I learned long ago that around the neck AND over the shoulder is the only safe way to carry a camera.

At times, when shooting I may change, and go just around my neck or as a last ditch, I just hold it.

Maybe you mean something different, but just on the shoulder, well maybe I just learned wrong 50 years ago from my aunt (a pro)

For those more generously proportioned, I think you can get an extender, like they have for BIG people on airline seat belts.:p
I totally agree with this, over one shoulder camera under the other arm strap running across chest and back. This allows you to be secure with the camera (No way for someone to rip it off my shoulder), bring it up to your eye in either landscape or portrait orientation and swing it in front, to the side or in back of you. If you bend over no worries of the camera swinging out and wacking something. I still use the supplied Leica strap for this type of carry but have removed the rubber grip section (It just peels off the nylon strap) so it moved around my neck and back easier. If I carry 2 bodies at the same time I have one in this position and the other with a stock Leica strap, rubber grip section still on, over my right shoulder with the strap running through a carabiner that is hooked to a ring near the shoulder on my Domke photo vest.
I'd hate to have to shoot at someone that just grabbed my camera off my shoulder.

Guy Mancuso

My problem is two camera's , so one has to get on the shoulder but i agree the most secure way is around the neck

gogopix

Subscriber
Dear Shootist
yes, and for two I just put one on one side and the other over other arm.

Actually, I find the 'bracing' works well too for hand held shots. I just aim then pull tight on strap to 'lock' the position. I get shots gowm to 1/20 sec

S

Shootist

Dear Shootist
yes, and for two I just put one on one side and the other over other arm.

Actually, I find the 'bracing' works well too for hand held shots. I just aim then pull tight on strap to 'lock' the position. I get shots gowm to 1/20 sec
Well I have shot down to 1/20 also but they ain't to clear.:D

S

Shootist

My problem is two camera's , so one has to get on the shoulder but i agree the most secure way is around the neck
Well Guy It's really not around my neck. I find that type of carry totally annoying and literally a pain in the neck. About the only time the camera strap is around just my neck is when I'm taking off or putting on a coat, and don't feel like setting the camera down, or when using a tripod someplace where I don't feel to secure.

Guy Mancuso

Yea the trick is finding what is comfortable to use and be secure also from falling and theives. i worry more about falling just because i am doing usually a lot of fiddling

F

fotografr

Shoulder?

Around the neck and over the shoulder works well and is very comfortable when you are just using one camera. But if you are working with two bodies at the same time, which I often do, one has to be over the shoulder to avoid the straps interferring with each other. The one that works for me is the wide Leica strap.

Jim Stone

Workshop Member
Guy,

Thanks for the offer, but I already have a nice brown croc case w/grip. I do like the looks of that Upstrap though. Can see why it wouldn't slip as much. Perhaps I'll try one on the Leica one day.

Jim