Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: The M9 Chat Box

From our friends at Camera West just got this e-mail

Special Announcement
    09/09/09

Dear Guy,

By now I am sure that you have heard that Leica has announced what is likely their most important camera since the original UR Leica or the M3. If not, then it is my pleasure to present you with this exciting news.

Sincerely,

Sean Cranor
    Camera West

Leica M9
    Smallest Full Frame

Today, Leica has officially unveiled their M9, 18.5mp, full frame Digital rangefinder camera!

Our initial review of the camera is impressive, to say the least. The camera is the same size as the M8 and feels about the same heft, although technically, it is a few ounces heavier. The build quality, fit and finish, is all Leica. Its 24x36mm sensor makes 17.4mb, compressed DNG files that open to 103mb, 16 bit TIFF. The IR cast, that some shooters experienced, has been addressed with a thicker IR filter. The dial on the back of the camera now can control exposure compensation and there is a proper battery level meter. The camera also has a bracketing mode, which will be handy for HDR. If you have ever used a Leica M camera, then you are already aware that this is the smallest and lightest, full frame, digital camera now on the market.

Side by side comparison with my M8.2, the M9 appears to make a more pleasing image, with natural colors, more predictable depth of field and slightly higher ISO performance. At a pleasantly surprising $6995.00 price tag, this is the digital camera that all Leica shooters will need to own. We expect the first shipments to hit in about two weeks. Please contact us by phone or email to reserve your M9.

Leica X1
    A New Standard

Leica has also announced a new standard in compact cameras, the X1.

This camera is using a 12.2mp, APS-C size CMOS sensor that is typically used in DSLR cameras. The lens is a fixed 24mm2.8 Asph, 8-element, Elmarit. The 1.5x magnification ratio makes this equivalent to a 36mm lens in 35mm format. The camera has manual controls and is built on a metal frame and promised to be fast and responsive. The camera weighs in at only 10oz and is about the same size as the D-Lux 4, but thicker.

I expect that this camera will perform to the levels of the M8, in a smaller and lighter package. The price is to be $1995.00 with expected delivery around the Holidays.

In This Issue
    Leica M9
    Leica X1

Camera Specifications

M9

S2

X1

Camera West
    201 W. Franklin St.
    Monterey, CA 93940

Ph. 831-643-9088
    Fx. 831-643-9092

M - F 10am - 6pm
    Sat. 10am - 4pm

Email Monterey

Camera West
    1255 South Main St.
    Suite # 201
    Walnut Creek, CA 94596

Ph. 925-935-1424
    Fx. 925-935-2008

M - F 10am - 6pm
    Sat. 10am - 4pm

Email Walnut Creek

Join Our Mailing List!

Forward email

This email was sent to guymancuso by [email protected].

Camera West | 1255 South Main Street | Suite 201 | Walnut Creek | CA | 94596

So these look to be the US prices as noted earlier
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

matmcdermott

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKamka View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken, Bryan Adams has been working as a very accomplished professional fashion photographer over the past several years ... I'd certain share your disdain, however, for that awful Robin Hood song though.
    Has he? I was unaware. I knew he was a Leica fan and good photographer, but didn't know that was his main gig these days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

kudos to Seal for speaking with some passion and without looking at his script every 10 seconds unlike the Leica reps. I appreciate they weren't speaking their first language.. but it was pretty turgid stuff... and a little under rehearsed.

still you have your proper digital RF now. I am sure the x1 will be a fine camera... but that price ....ouch!!!

K

nei1

Have they given the camera to any respected photographers who might give a little more insight?

Post Thanks / Like

It does peak my interest, even after reading about that war photog in Iraq, who pretty much poo pooed the M8 in everyway, as far as a pro camera goes. Maybe that's why Leica doesn't want serious photogs doing the advertising anymore. I think maybe the M8/M9 is more like Leica Jewlery, than a serious image maker, these days, at least compared to the M6 and earlier models, but I still kind of want one (M9) with a 28 and 50 cron.

nei1

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 9 View Post
    You just have the butler keep wiping it off with a chamois. I'm sure that's how Seal does it.
    Damn;my bloody butler"s allergic to chammy;well he"s for the chop then.

Post Thanks / Like

I read in the DP review the M9 was 14 bit, but camera west and another say 16. Which is it?

Best,

Mitchell

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Probably the old story. 16 bits, but the last two bits contain no usable information.
    JAAP
    http://www.jaapvphotography.eu
    The colours of my generation are black and white.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nei1 View Post
    Have they given the camera to any respected photographers who might give a little more insight?
    They did, images are appearing.
    JAAP

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

14 bit sensor, out to a 16 bit finished file.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Leica folks have my sympathy. It seems whatever they do it's a case of "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" ...

I'm feeling pretty happy this morning despite sitting through amateur hour with the Leica AV and webinar. I can forgive the Leica management for the scripted presentation too.

What was interesting was that I'm actually pretty interested in clearing out my various high end P&S cameras, none of which has been a total joy (Ricoh GRD II, Nikon P-6000, Canon G10, Panasonic G1), and give the X1 a try.

In the meantime I'm much more impressed with the M9 in Steel Grey than I thought I'd be. Time to ask the dealer to snag one in grey vs. 'first available' me thinks.

totallynatural

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKamka View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken, Bryan Adams has been working as a very accomplished professional fashion photographer over the past several years ... I'd certain share your disdain, however, for that awful Robin Hood song though.
    Just googled him and had a gander at some of his pics, apologies to Bryan then

I only know him from his er...'interesting' musical career.

Getting back on subject though. The M9 looks to be an absolutely fabulous piece of kit, hats off to Leica for it.

Glad to see Jono's got himself one, I was wondering how long it would take him to get one looking forward to his pics and comments tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Jones View Post
    14 bit sensor, out to a 16 bit finished file.
    If they've managed to make them look like DMR files, I'm one happy photographer
    JAAP

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kinok1 View Post
    Here are my thoughts. I pay my bills with a pair of m8s. I have had more than my fair share of problems with them both, then again they get beat to hell.

i love the idea of the m9 - finally full frame. but i have to ask leica - wtf?? why bring out Seal to introduce this camera? all this says to me, a working pro, is leica cares more about celebrity, brand cult, status, than they do the (albeit few) men and women out there making a living using their cameras.

as tempting as that m9 is...i might just have to pass. not because there is anything wrong with the camera, but the company seems to be moving in directions i no longer support.

damn.
    It's marketing. Nothing to do with the camera.

For a year or so, just down the road here, there was a huge board with a photo of David Beckham, the English football player with a can of Castrol motor oil. I don't know if he drinks it for breakfast or what, but I doubt he's a car mechanic. Still, the cars using Castrol don't seem to have more problems than other cars.

Oh, and btw., some of those artists actually know how to use a camera...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nei1 View Post
    Bruno Stevens has been testing the camera for 3 months.
    I'll take his review, once it comes out, over any commercial site
    any day of the week

Some of his work can be seen here:

http://www.photoshelter.com/user/U00001NTuupm_Kg4

Post Thanks / Like

Has anybody opened a M9 DNG (uncompressed) in C1 yet? Curious if it works.

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here are my thoughts. I pay my bills with a pair of m8s. I have had more than my fair share of problems with them both, then again they get beat to hell.

i love the idea of the m9 - finally full frame. but i have to ask leica - wtf?? why bring out Seal to introduce this camera? all this says to me, a working pro, is leica cares more about celebrity, brand cult, status, than they do the (albeit few) men and women out there making a living using their cameras.

as tempting as that m9 is...i might just have to pass. not because there is anything wrong with the camera, but the company seems to be moving in directions i no longer support.

damn.
    If the tool is good what does the company direction have to do with?

Mike Johnson has up a fine essay, "What Does 'Expensive' Mean?"

He sees Leica as a 'Veblen good".

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."

I see nothing wrong with that.

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

nei1

Quote Originally Posted by mtomalty View Post
    Bruno Stevens has been testing the camera for 3 months.
    I'll take his review, once it comes out, over any commercial site
    any day of the week

Some of his work can be seen here:

http://www.photoshelter.com/user/U00001NTuupm_Kg4
    Thanks for the information........started looking and didnt stop for an hour.

-M9-

Thumbs up Re: The M9 Chat Box

I want to say thank you LEICA for the M9.

This ist the camera I waited for many years!

I am a longtime LEICA M User.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

See if this works
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Ranger 9

Quote Originally Posted by johnastovall View Post

I see nothing wrong with that.
    There'd be nothing wrong with it if there were any alternative to a "Veblen good."

If there were an Epson R-D2, a Zeiss Ikon D, or whatever, then it would be fine for Leica to be the top of the status tree. It's when Leica is the WHOLE tree that there's a problem.

To ditch metaphor: For photographers who do their best work with a rangefinder camera and who need to produce digital files, it's unfortunate that (a) Leica is still unattainably expensive for most and (b) that there's no realistic alternative.

Artorius

Quote Originally Posted by johnastovall View Post
    I just wonder how soon Adobe will have the M9 in ACR for use with Bridge and Photoshop. I'm not a fan of Lightroom and my workflow and color mangement is built around Photoshop.
    I have CS3/ACR and they open ok.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by John Black View Post
    Has anybody opened a M9 DNG (uncompressed) in C1 yet? Curious if it works.
    I did and the sample .dng that I had looked much better out of C1 than out of Camera Raw (imho). (C1 4.8.2...not the pro version).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

just came back from playing with one at CameraWest. Looks great so far.. i have some test shots from a 50 preasph lux, 35 preasph lux, 21 2.8 preasph, and a CV 12.

The one thing that struck me right away.. it doesn't focus closer than 1M (the .7 of my 50mm is useless on it

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Someone on another forum mentioned a M8.2 trade in program....was that wishful thinking?
    Mike

website under construction

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

M9 impressions...

I just played with one at Glazer's in Seattle. One thing that struck me right away was that reviewing a photo and zooming in was MUCH faster on the M9. Night and day compared to the M8.2. By the way, M9 shots on a card will display on an M8.2 but they won't zoom in all the way. The cutout on the upper left corner is visually pleasing but is too small to afford much of a finger-hold. The soft-release shutter setting is nice - it releases with about half depression of the button. As mentioned elsewhere, the black paint camera has the same rough vulcanit as the M8.2 while the steel-gray will have the smoother texture of the original M8 (not an issue for me as I use the Luigi case).

Tim Isaac (of Thumbs-Up fame) was there and I tried one his new smaller eyecups with a 1.25X magnifier. It's a wonderful product, expertly made.

RAW DNG photos open just fine in Lightroom 2.4. If I can overcome some problem attaching, I will post one for download. They are 34.7 MB each.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No offense to Seal. He is a great singer, takes nice snaps and has a very nice wife , but I cant understand why they choose him to come up there either. I would be much more impressed if they had a couple of really great Pro photographers that uses Leica. I know David Alan Harvey from Magnum used/uses the M8 for instance. It would tell me that they are actually aiming their products at Pro photographers and not celebrities. I know that celebrities have more money , but it would give the company more cred IMO if they choose someone who actually makes his living from photography. I know that Seal is a genuine Leicaphile, takes tons of photos and loves the company and their products, but still... No offense meant Seal

matmcdermott

Quote Originally Posted by bradhusick View Post
    I just played with one at Glazer's in Seattle. One thing that struck me right away was that reviewing a photo and zooming in was MUCH faster on the M9. Night and day compared to the M8.2. By the way, M9 shots on a card will display on an M8.2 but they won't zoom in all the way.
    Interesting. On another forum (or maybe another thread here, been switching around so much between them I've gotten confused) someone's experience was exactly the opposite. I wonder what the difference was? Perception, SD card, what?

matmcdermott

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Five View Post
    No offense to Seal. He is a great singer, takes nice snaps and has a very nice wife , but I cant understand why they choose him to come up there either. I would be much more impressed if they had a couple of really great Pro photographers that uses Leica. I know David Alan Harvey from Magnum used/uses the M8 for instance. It would tell me that they are actually aiming their products at Pro photographers and not celebrities. I know that celebrities have more money , but it would give the company more cred IMO if they choose someone who actually makes his living from photography. I know that Seal is a genuine Leicaphile, takes tons of photos and loves the company and their products, but still... No offense meant Seal
    Part of it may just be presentation. Harvey's a great guy and great photographer but as far as spokesperson for Leica at this sort of event going with someone used to this sort of public self-promotion and with name and face recognition outside of the photo community isn't a bad idea.

I've actually come to terms with Leica not aiming their products at the average pro.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I agree - I didnt like the focus on the special manufacturing and the comparison with good wine etc etc.
    I would have prefered if they focus the presentation more on IQ and user interface.
    But in the end I dont really care about the presentation - for me its about the camera and how it works for me.

damn.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Five View Post
    I wonder what the split in the value of sales is between 'amateurs' and pros for Leica? (Or for Nikon and Canon for that matter). I suspect that all three companies make much more of their money from the 'well-heeled amateur' market than they do from pros. A launch using a celebrity likely to be a recognition figure for the non-pro market might just be smart marketing.
    John L Dobson
    Editor, Ffestiniog Railway Magazine

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by matmcdermott View Post
    Interesting. On another forum (or maybe another thread here, been switching around so much between them I've gotten confused) someone's experience was exactly the opposite. I wonder what the difference was? Perception, SD card, what?
    The M9 has dual processors whereas the M8 has one. I would have expected the M9 to be quicker despite the larger files, and it was.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

erik

Have leica ever aimed their marketing at the pro photographer?.. Sure pro photographers bought them .. but i am pretty sure they represent - just like with Nikon and canon a small percentage of total sales

I would bet that the majority of leicas sold ever have been to people with disposable income and desire to own the best tools to satisfy some sort of creative urge or indeed to appear that way or sadly in many cases just to say they have 'the best'.

I think Seal did a great job in conveying his genuine passion for Leica as a tool that lets him, a creative individual, express himself.

For the M and now X1 ranges Leica are selling themselves as the makers of cameras the same way Saville Row tailors sell bespoke suits. There is nothing wrong with that... that is the niche they have decided to play in.

The S2 is another matter altogether - and is probably the area that will make or break them - this is a professional solution and they will need to get both the machine and the support absolutely right

cheers
    K

nei1

Maybe its always been done that way

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is a file from Brad you can download

https://www.yousendit.com/transfer.p...RStvQnZ2Wmc9PQ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Here is a file from Brad you can download

https://www.yousendit.com/transfer.p...RStvQnZ2Wmc9PQ
    This is limited to 100 downloads, so first come, first served.

If someone would like to host it, feel free to do so. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Brad I have no way to host it past 100 downloads. I tried uploading the DNG on the site but ran into a security issue. Checking into that

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In aperture it looks as if it works just as good as the M8 file. The picture has lots of detail and also it is very maleable.

your file, Brad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's a resized JPEG from that DNG - 800x600 and a 100% crop from the upper left of the DNG, just above and to the left of the Nikon sign. The resolution on the chain is impressive.
    Last edited by bradhusick; 17th July 2014 at 09:27.

Post Thanks / Like

For those of us with older uncoded lenses, here is the menu for user defined lens selection.

Firmware: 1.002

16-18-21 ASPH. f/[email protected] 11626
    21 f/2.8 11134
    21 f/2.8 ASPH. 11135/11897
    24 f/2.8 ASPH. 11878/11898
    28 f/2 ASPH. 11604
    28 f/2.8 11804
    28 f/2.8 11809
    28 f/2.8 ASPH. 11606
    28-35-50 ASPH. f/[email protected] 11625
    35 f/1.4 11869/11870/11860
    35 f/1.4 ASPHERICAL 11873
    35 f/1.4 ASPH. 11874/11883
    35 f/2 11310/11311
    35 f/2 ASPH. 11879/11882
    50 f/1 11821/11822
    50 f/1.2 11820
    50 f/1.4 11868/11856/11114
    50 f/1.4 ASPH. 11891/11892
    50 f/2 11817
    50 f/2 11819/11825/11826/11816
    50 f/2.8 11831/11823/11824
    75 f/1.4 11814/11815/11810
    75 f/2 ASPH. 11637
    90 f/2 11136/11137
    90 f/2 ASPH. 11884/11885
    90 f/2.8 11800
    90 f/2.8 11807/11808
    90 f/4 11633/11634
    MACRO-ADAPTER-M f. 90 f/4 14409
    135 f/2.8 11829
    135 f/3.4 APO 11889
    135 f/4 11851/11861

Bob.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jaapv View Post
    If they've managed to make them look like DMR files, I'm one happy photographer
    If they look like DMR files and if the M9 lives up to the reliability and durability that Leica built its reputation upon, I will be moving to it as my main camera.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Having the ability to manually code the couple of non-coded Leica lenses I have is great news. No more messing with sharpies and templates or the thought of sending lenses away for coding.

Btw, did anyone else notice in the M9 manual that snapshot mode is still there, although thankfully as a user profile where it should have been all along.

I've got a long week or so of waiting ahead of me for mine - I'm really looking forward to the camera!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Thanks Brad I have no way to host it past 100 downloads. I tried uploading the DNG on the site but ran into a security issue. Checking into that
    I'll host it Guy. I got tons of bandwidth on my server. Downloading it now and will post the link when ready.

Here's the new URL: ftp://ftp.echenique.com/pub/leicam9/L1030328.DNG
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Carlos.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well I really don't want to press he negative button again, but I can't see anything good in that raw file. Nothing that points me to a M9, no wow effect what so ever. It is even softer than most the stuff I shot with my 1DsMk2 and AA Filter.

A different part, how dump can a company like Leica or any other be ? I mean is it really so hard to find a few good photographer to do some shooting and than upload crops jpgs and provide the raw files ? I mean I haven't seen one good high res image from the m9 so far. Most I have seen is more in the other direction.

I really hope we soon will see some normal m9 images ^^
    Last edited by Bob; 15th June 2016 at 14:34.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Christopher,
    I shot this with a 50 lux wide open, so there is only a small plane in focus (the Nikon sign). I could only shoot 3 or 4 frames since I was standing in line to handle the camera and I didn't want to be a pig about it. There is nothing artistically redeeming about this image, but it does show us something about the M9. The JPEG and crop I posted had no sharpening or any image processing at all done to them. My former 1DsMk2 would not have been so good under these circumstances, I assure you.

I too hope we see some worthy images soon.

Ranger 9

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Parsons View Post
    For those of us with older uncoded lenses, here is the menu for user defined lens selection...
    [snip]
    Looks like it's time to invent the Luigi Secret Decoder Ring!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My comment was not really aimed at you. Well partly. I never expected great images out of a Leica presentation room, I'm more disappointed in Leica for not really showing us what the camera can do.

Ranger 9

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    My comment was not really aimed at you. Well partly. I never expected great images out of a Leica presentation room, I'm more disappointed in Leica for not really showing us what the camera can do.
    As an example of what it can do, I'd love to see a printed (not PDF) copy of that Cuba brochure. Guess I'm showing my roots as a print-media guy...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

By the way for all of you ordering an M9...

Now that Leica has cheaped-out and dropped the sapphire glass from the M9, it's time to reorder those Giottos glass screen protectors. I use them on my all my cameras that don't have a sapphire LCD cover. I just placed my order at B&H for one. Here's the link for the one that fits the M8 and M9 for those interested. $24.95.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...nal_Glass.html