The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The M9 Chat Box

M

matmcdermott

It's interesting that, at least in this presentation, that Leica have given up all pretense of being a tool of working professional photographers and have instead fully positioned the M as being a handmade, fine, tool for people who appreciate that. I don't think that's not necessarily a bad thing, just an observation, and perhaps not a bad marketing move.

It is of course, different than the brochure which still plays up the reportage aspect.

R

Ranger 9

I'm likewise disappointed that after all that talk about history and dedication, they trot out a "celebrity photographer" rather than someone with a real track record in photography. (Sure, he's a good shooter, but so are a lot of people...)

That, plus the lead-in discussion about the person who appreciates only the finest whether it's in a camera, a suit, or a bottle of wine, makes it clear that they're not ready to let go of Ken Rockwell's "Leica Man" as their target consumer.

Or maybe it just means that there are precious few working photographers who actually make significant use of Leicas anymore, so they had to roll out a musician instead.

I suppose I shouldn't kick, since the real bottom line for actual non-celebrity photographers -- how they priced the M9 -- was a pleasant surprise. Imagine, a top-of-the-line Leica that's in the same general price range as a top-of-the-line Nikon or Canon?!

For me personally, it's still not in the realm of possibility... but at least it's in the realm of fantasy, rather than the realm of absurdity.

Maybe they've finally caught on to the idea of selling the camera as a "loss leader" to get people into buying the lenses! Or maybe they've figured out that an M is just a bit too demanding for the wealthy leisure class and are going to let the ridiculously-overpriced X1 take over as the fashion kotchke for the uber-affluent, leaving the M as something for actual photographers to use...

M

matmcdermott

All this is so tough... have to close the chat window, ignore the previews and actually get some work done.

Christopher

the only thing i did not get with the m9 and I hoped for was a new screen with something like 930k instead of the m8 screen.

Ben Rubinstein

Anyone want to start a poll taking bets on how long it takes until Marc (fotosense) sells his Nikons and Sony's and buys a couple of M9's for his wedding work?

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
I don't see much use for the LCD screen any way. I always keep mine off. It's not going to show you much you might need other than the histogram.

N

nei1

And its still not rain or salty corrosion bringing sea air resistent?

Christopher

well once you have seen the huge difference between a 230k dot screen and a 930k screen you wouldn say that. Especailly checking focus and looking through images isn't great on the M8 screen compared to others.

Christopher

Dump question, but I'm stuck here in Hawaii for the moment is there any Leica dealer here ^^ ? Any ideas ? Otherwise I have to shipp it to Australia from Germany or find a good shop in Sydney.

Daniel

I don't see much use for the LCD screen any way. I always keep mine off. It's not going to show you much you might need other than the histogram.
same here. my lcd is mostly turned off. i use it only when i'm having trouble with the framing.

regarding the price: because it's full-frame digital and Leica, i've convinced myself that it would be priced above 10K because nikon's d3x is around 8K. i was glad to see that it's less. still expensive but not as steep as i thought.

iiiNelson

I agree this looks good. So far this is one of the first Leica products in recent memory I think they have right at initial impression state for me. The system is their bread and butter. It fixes the common gripes and misgivings about the M8 (outside of high ISO and weather sealing.) The price seems fair, The specs are right, the ISO is improved based on the dPreview test JPEG's and I REALLY want one... Or if the price is right on the M8.2 that may flood the market I may go that route.

Great job on supplying a truly revolutionary product that actually fits what most everyone asked for.

Paratom

OK, I admit that I have ordered one.
I hope that I can go from M8 to M9 without my wife realizing it is a new camera.