The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The M9 Chat Box

gero

David, my only doubt right now about the image quality of the M9 (also coming from the M8 & DMR) is the WA's.

1- Are they soft in the corners? and is this a characteristic of rf lenses more than; for example 15/2.8 asph R or 19/2.8 R?
Or is this a characteristic of the M9's limitations? (if they are)

2- The other doubt that I have is how much I will use WA's (because it is very different than the M8 view)

For that second I am seriously considering the october workshop of Guy and Jack. (I am also trying to use a film M for that)

Your review was very clear to read and at the same time had a lot of info.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
David, my only doubt right now about the image quality of the M9 (also coming from the M8 & DMR) is the WA's.

1- Are they soft in the corners? and is this a characteristic of rf lenses more than; for example 15/2.8 asph R or 19/2.8 R?

2- The other doubt that I have is how much I will use WA's (because it is very different than the M8 view)

For that second I am seriously considering the october workshop of Guy and Jack. (I am also trying to use a film M for that)

You should come and I am being serious. I know at least one attendee should have a M9 by then and we are still waiting to hear from Leica.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Request for me if someone can get me some nice raws to play with. I would appreciate it , that way I can see how to process them the best.

gero

I just got the answer to the first.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-forum/98128-m9-report-salt-lake-city.html

PeterA

Except that, being a celebrity, he has total control over how he chooses to spend his time, lots of people who want to be his buddy, and near-infinite leisure and resources to devote to his quest to become a better photographer (or whatever else he feels like doing.)

For all practical purposes, he and I don't even live on the same planet. And if you're his pal, you probably are in the same category.

I'm okay with that, but let's not kid ourselves by denying that in photography, as in everything else, there's a very distinct division between the haves and the have-nots, and that photography, and everything else, is much, much easier for the haves.
I totally disagree with what you just said in the excerpt above. You do live on the same planet. You make your choices about how you spend your time and where and on what you spend your money - as does everyone else.

Money and time - doesn't buy talent, ability or good images - work does. no Leica will ever make a good image let alone a great image -just because it is a Leica Some of the best photography I have collected and bought over the last 30 years - has been made with $50 cameras.

What this forum is about is people who share a passion for photography and gear - and thats why i come here.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Cam, good to see you back on the forum again. Hope all is well and that you are still pestering all of those unsuspecting train riders with candid shots.

Kurt

beamon

Shift gears for a moment: Lack of Sapphire LCD cover

Having an interest in better watches, I'm a fan of the scratch resistance of sapphire watch crystals. Yes, if struck sharply, they'll shatter with shards being scattered. That's why NASA specified acrylic crystals for their space flights (can you picture shards of glass floating around in zero G?) :eek:

Fast backward to my flying days and the acrylic windshields of the aircraft. They are prone to minute to large scratches. We found that plain Pledge in the brown spray can, when applied to the windshield and wiped dry, would fill in the minute scratches and protect, to a small degree, the windshield from more scratches. This because Pledge has a refractive index close to that of acrylic plastic.

In the event that I decide to pop for an M9 before sapphire is offered as an optional LCD cover, I'd probably 'Pledge it' every so often. Rather than spraying it at the back of the M9, apply it with the ball of your finger using a well washed tee shirt. Anyone else doing this?

bradhusick

I prefer to use the Giottos glass screen protector with 12 layers of coating. I use them on all my plastic-screen cameras.