The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The M9 Chat Box

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Brad did you ever have problems with the slight overhang with the Giottos? The ones I had on my 2 M8's at the time were ever so slightly larger than the LCD cover so that there was an edge that could catch and break. I'd have rather it was slightly smaller and sacrifice the edge of the underlying LCD cover than break.

Maybe this has changed now but I had two crack & shatter which made them somewhat less than useless for me. Removing the shards with a bit of heat to release the adhesive could also release the adhesive on the back of the LCD cover itself so that this would lift off the camera. In the end that's why I upgraded my last M8 with the Sapphire LCD cover.

Next time I'd go with the Zagg Invishield. I have some here but haven't bothered with the M8.2 that I now have.

Erik Five

Im so tempted to buy a DRF again... Im maybe thinking of getting a M8.2 until I can get my hands on a M9... And of course need to unload some gear :D

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I was actually thinking of a M8 backup to my MF system. I have a backup body but heck i want a small camera anyway for me.

LJL

You are very bad Sir. LOL
O.K., guilty as charged....:thumbs: Honestly, I am sure I am not the only one that had that thought cross their mind :eek: Maybe the only one crude and bold enough to blurt it out, but all those guilty folks can stop blushing now:ROTFL:

LJ

bradhusick

Brad did you ever have problems with the slight overhang with the Giottos? The ones I had on my 2 M8's at the time were ever so slightly larger than the LCD cover so that there was an edge that could catch and break. I'd have rather it was slightly smaller and sacrifice the edge of the underlying LCD cover than break.

Maybe this has changed now but I had two crack & shatter which made them somewhat less than useless for me. Removing the shards with a bit of heat to release the adhesive could also release the adhesive on the back of the LCD cover itself so that this would lift off the camera. In the end that's why I upgraded my last M8 with the Sapphire LCD cover.

Next time I'd go with the Zagg Invishield. I have some here but haven't bothered with the M8.2 that I now have.
Graham,
I was lucky or careful enough not to break one, but a friend of mine did when he pushed his bag into the overhead compartment on a flight. It does take some heat to remove and you could pull the Leica plastic off too. I didn't mind the little overhang and I never caught it on anything, probably because I also use Luigi cases (no rear flap) that give enough of a thickness so that the protector is not the most prominent thing on the back. I found the Giottos and Luigi combination (together with a Thumbs-up) to be the best for me, and I am going this way on the M9 too.

The Thumbs-up CSEP4 is the best because the double shoe allows you to place an external finder right above the internal one, so you focus and quickly drop the camera a centimeter to compose wide shots. There may be slight parallax issues, but I never had a problem composing this way. With the M9 we will need wide external finders even more (anything 24mm or wider).

pcunite

I just got a chance to watch the Leica Press Conference in which Seal spoke. It was clear to me from the video that Leica was very respectful of the fact that Seal had spent a great deal of his money on their cameras over the last 16 years and gave him a chance to share his feelings about their brand.

I feel this was very appropriate and it was mischaracterized to me how Leica was using him. I think the way it was done was very tasteful. If anyone, doctor, lawyer, musician, another photographer, you or I had been faithful to the Leica brand in the monetary way that Seal had done for as long as it has been we would have certainly been on the list to speak about it. Sure it helps to have a famous face when talking about passions.

Now all Leica needs to do to appeal to photographers who work for a living in the field is put the camera in the hands of pros. Allow it to be tested against the best Phase backs and lets see where it stands in the lineup. It definitely has a place I feel because 37mp is flat out enough resolution for some folks.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Graham,
I was lucky or careful enough not to break one, but a friend of mine did when he pushed his bag into the overhead compartment on a flight. It does take some heat to remove and you could pull the Leica plastic off too. I didn't mind the little overhang and I never caught it on anything, probably because I also use Luigi cases (no rear flap) that give enough of a thickness so that the protector is not the most prominent thing on the back. I found the Giottos and Luigi combination (together with a Thumbs-up) to be the best for me, and I am going this way on the M9 too.
Brad - that makes sense. Mine broke when fitted with no other case around the edge to protect them. The break was literally just in the very corner but once cracked, that's it. I can attest to the ability to lift off the LCD cover btw!

Using both the Giottos and case sounds like an ideal combo.

wrt to the Seal discussions:

I thought that he was very gracious, generous and genuine in his appreciation of all things Leica. I can't for the life of me see why people are so cynical. Btw, in case anyone forgot, this was a public launch event not a pro round-table. If Leica had rolled out a traditional crusty old M shooter I'd have been tempted to go back to sleep during the web cast. :ROTFL: :sleep006:

As regards being given the S2, well he seemed genuinely surprised and if **I** were being cynical I'd say that Leica got a great deal! I think you'd be hard pressed to get that much of Seal's time and pay for it for less than the cost of that demo S2!

beamon

Am I correctly assuming that the "Protect" button that was replaced by the new ISO button is now in a menu on the M9?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yes I do like the ISO button there but have to say the button I like the most is the info button. I had that on my Nikons and loved it . Many times shooting events or in dark places the M8 would not just give you that info very easily. The Nikon and now the M9 that info button I promise a lot of folks will be more than happy it is there. This is a very important feature as I see it. I do a lot of these event type things and that is a big issue is quickly seeing what is going on.