The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The X1 Chat Box

N

nei1

It looks like an electronic shutter release rather than a mechanical one,its looking more panasonic than leica.I know the lens was a given but if it came with a 50mm cron equiv Id forgive it other faults.

nostatic

There is some AF confirm with viewfinder, but I don't know what "prominently displayed" means exactly. In the OVF or somewhere else on the body, kinda like a bat signal?

"The LEICA X1 offers a comprehensive range of accessories that expand the abilities of the camera and adapt it to the photographer’s personal photographic style: A 36-mm bright-line accessory, for instance, can be inserted in the camera’s accessory shoe and ensures a clear view without unnecessary power drain. If required, the camera display can be switched off when an accessory finder is used. In this case, a prominently placed LED indicates successful automatic focusing."

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
After looking more at X1 I'll my compact camera need by using my Barnaks and upgrading to the Ricoh GR-DIII. I need to save money anyway for the Luigi Case for the M9.

Daniel

comparing the x1 against the sigma dp2 and the other recent cameras in similar category 2,000$ is steep, but in all fairness to leica the x1's built (from what i've gathered from reid's preview) is better than its competitors, and its write speed is quick.

reid suspects that the sensor is the same as the nikon d300 which is very good. to top it off, no other point-and-shoot has a leica elmarit lens attached to a camera with analog access to its shutter and aperture settings. a leica lens without the body can cost as much as an x1.

if the high ISO images are as good as leica claims, then f2.8 may not be "slow". from what i've read, i think it has a lot going for it – it has great potential. we'll just have to wait for reid's review on the x1. i'm looking forward for his review.

however, i think it would be so much cooler if the lcd screen was articulated. it'd really be so much fun for waist level photography.

D

divory

Hang on, we are comparing apples with oranges. The X1 has the same size sensor as a Nikon D300, substantially larger than the m4/3 cameras. For roughly the same pixel count the sensor on the X1 is 23.6mx15.8m whilst the 4/3 standard is 17.3x13mm. that should result in much better quality images and low light performance.

Now whether this is worth the additional cost is up to the relative importance the purchase puts on performance. If the Leica glass is up to standard, then this will be one of the most interesting small cameras on the market (IMHO).

david

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Some tech data . Hopefully will get more info

Technical data LEICA X1

Lens LEICA ELMARIT 1:2.8/24 ASPH.
8 elements in 6 groups
1 aspherical lens
Optical zoom No
Digital Zoom No
Focal Distance f = 24 mm (35 mm Equivalent: 36 mm)
Aperture F2.8 / F16.0 (1/3EV steps)
Focusing Area Normal: 60 cm - infinity
Macro 30 cm - infinity
Manual Focus 30 cm - infinity
AF Metering 1-point / 1-point high speed /11-point / 11-point high speed / Spot / face detection
AF Assist Lamp Yes
Image Sensor APS-C CMOS sensor, 12.9 megapixels, aspect ratio 3:2
Camera Effective Pixels 12,2 Megapixels
ISO Sensitivity Auto / 100 / 200 / 400 / 800 / 1600 / 3200
White Balance Auto / Halogen / Daylight / Flash / Cloudy / Shadow/ Manual 1 / Manual 2
White Balance Adjustment (2 axis)
Exposure Program automatic / Aperture priority automatic / Shutter priority automatic / Manual
Exposure Compensation 1/3 EV step, -3 - +3 EV
Auto Bracketing 1/3 - 3EVstep, 3 frames
Light Metering Intelligent Multiple / Center weighted / Spot
Shutter Speed 30 - 1/2000 sec
Self Timer 2 sec / 12 sec
Auto Review 1 sec / 3 sec / 5 sec / hold
Film Mode Standard, Vivid, Natural, BW Natural, BW High Contrast
Recording Format JPEG, DNG
Aspect Ratio 3:2
Image Size 4272 x 2586 pixels (12.2M), 3264 x 2160 pixels (7M), 2144 x 1424 pixels (3M), 1632 x 1080 pixels (1.8M)
Image Quality JPG Super Fine / JPG Fine / DNG + JPG Super Fine / DNG + JPG Fine
Motion Picture: No
Burst Shooting Mode 3 fps / 2 fps
Max pictures in JPEG FINE + RAW 6 pictures
Built-in-Memory Approx. 50 MB
Built-in-Flash Auto, Auto / Red-eye Reduction, Forced On, Forced On / Red-eye, Slow Sync, Slow Sync. / Red-eye Reduction, Studio First curtain / Second curtain can be set
Hot Shoe YES , Compatible with SF24D, SF58
LCD 2.7" LCD (230K Pixels) TFT
Field of View approx. 100%
Playback Mode 16 - thumbnail display, Zoomed playback (16x Max.), Image rotation(except RAW) , Protection
Recording Media Built-in Memory, SD Memory Card, SDHC Memory Card
Microphone No
Speaker Yes
Interface HDMI Output, USB (USB 2.0 High Speed, Mass Storage)
Power Li-ion Battery Pack (Included)
Battery Life (Approx.)
(CIPA standard): 260 exposures
Battery Charging time 200 min
Dimensions (Approx.) H 59.5× W 108.7 × D 27.1 mm
Weight (Approx.) 286 g
Scope of delivery LEICA BP-DC8 rechargeable battery
Battery charger (LEICA BC-DC8)
Protective battery cover
Leather carrying strap
USB cable
Lens cap
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom (download option after product registration)

wjlapier

I'll pass--fix lens kills it more for me than it's slowness. GF-1 is still on order.

Now the M9, on the other hand, has me looking at my D700 kit, and MP kit, a little differently, if you know what I mean.

T

totallynatural

There is some AF confirm with viewfinder, but I don't know what "prominently displayed" means exactly. In the OVF or somewhere else on the body, kinda like a bat signal?
Aaah, sorry missed that! Thanks

Last edited:

iiiNelson

Hang on, we are comparing apples with oranges. The X1 has the same size sensor as a Nikon D300, substantially larger than the m4/3 cameras. For roughly the same pixel count the sensor on the X1 is 23.6mx15.8m whilst the 4/3 standard is 17.3x13mm. that should result in much better quality images and low light performance.

Now whether this is worth the additional cost is up to the relative importance the purchase puts on performance. If the Leica glass is up to standard, then this will be one of the most interesting small cameras on the market (IMHO).

david
Apples and orange... Possibly depending on your perspective.

For the same $2000 one could get a D300 kit and still have versatility. One could also have a Micro 4/3 kit with an extra lens or two. Sure you have about 25% more sensor covered but the 4/3 sensor isn't exactly a slouch in its own right. One could go a850 and have full frame as well.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I just don't really get how an overpriced P&S is the most feasible idea above their own Micro 4/3 variant.

clay stewart

I liked it better, when I thought it was a fixed lens that didn't extend and had a focus wheel on the lens.

Now, without any word of seals, it sounds like the lens goes out, dust gets on the lens, the lens goes back in the camera with the dust, dust settles on the sensor, camera goes back to Leica to get dust removed from sensor, and doesn't come back for a very long time.:) Not being able to clean the sensor is sort of like not being able to put air in your tires. Well, maybe not exactly, but........

nostatic

Since the screen is the focus tool, going hi rez is a good thing. If they had put a cron or lux on the front and a 900K screen on the back, I think you'd see a different tone on this board.

And just because it has an APS-C sensor doesn't necessarily mean it will have better low light performance than a u4/3 camera. The devil is in the details...

And Canon figured out how to put a "focus ring" (and more) on the new S90. Why couldn't they do that on the X1?

steflaurent974

Well we ha a X1 sample to try today. No card in it and badged "Sample not Final".
The lens is a 24/2.8 elmarit wich seems to be an equivalent of a 35mm in FOV. The camera looks like a little M8 (less heavy !!) and has a good reactivity with quite beautiful picture in low light (wich was the case in the showroom).
That's all I can say , the guy said they are still tuning the firmware and fixing problem with IQ...

I took a black M9 and well this is is a hell of a camera...I try the 2500 iso with a Noctilux 0.95 : believe me it rocks !!!

johnastovall

I also found something odd on Sean Reid's site about the X1 based on his preview at Solms. He stated while the X1 was designed by Leica. It was manufactured in Japan and not by Panasonic. I thought I heard the webcast say it manufactured in Germany.

sizifo

Looks beautiful if nothing else. That circular flash is a touch of designer genius.

And, with so much thought going into design, it must also be a great camera :) There's some back to front logic for everyone.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I also found something odd on Sean Reid's site about the X1 based on his preview at Solms. He stated while the X1 was designed by Leica. It was manufactured in Japan and not by Panasonic. I thought I heard the webcast say it manufactured in Germany.
Sounds like a Nikon D300 sensor to me.

johnastovall

If it is a Nikon sensor, Leica has taken a page out of the Epson playbook where the R-D1 used the D100 sensor.

Last edited: